Vibration: time for concern?

ShoogDoog

LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, I have noticed this vibration for a while and can't figure it out:

Drive the car after it's been sitting for a while and a vibration begins at about 40 mph and continues above that speed. But only for maybe 20 minutes. Then it's smooth at all speeds. The colder it is, the worse the vibration. Kind of a "rumble" feeling, and (I hate to say this) but similar to a bad rear end in a van I used to have, except that on the LS the vibration goes away eventually, and in the van it never ended.

It reminds me of the bias belt tires we used to have in the '60's, where they would develop a flat spot after being parked, bounce a bit for a while, and eventually smooth out. I took it to the dealership maybe a year ago and one of the guys rode with me; of course there was no problem then, because the dealer is 20 miles away.

The tires on this car (04 LSE, V8) are Continentals. I don't like them anyway, and I'm not sure why. I just don't like them. I've had them balanced and notice no difference. Thinking about buying new tires anyway, unless this might be a rear end problem (please, no!). I don't notice any change in noise during turns like a bearing might do, and there is no clicking or clunking like U joints. So...

What do you think? Get new tires and hope that stops it? Take it to the dealershop again, leave it for them to check out, and hope for the best?

Thanks,

Ed

shoogdoog do u vibration in the steering wheel? If not rotate the tires and if you still do not feel the vibration in the steering wheel, it is not the tires. Im thinking it is a u-joint

yea, i work at toyota and all our rwd and 4wd trucks have u joints, i see them so much i was so quick to call it.

lol.. Being IRS, they run a two piece ds with a center support bearing.. The LS uses (can't remember the name) 3 bolt flanges.. The axle flange bolts to this rubber piece and the ds bolts the the rubber piece.. The rubber piece is called a flex flange.. That's about it in a nutshell.. :lol:

Well, I have noticed this vibration for a while and can't figure it out:

Drive the car after it's been sitting for a while and a vibration begins at about 40 mph and continues above that speed. But only for maybe 20 minutes. Then it's smooth at all speeds. The colder it is, the worse the vibration. Kind of a "rumble" feeling, and (I hate to say this) but similar to a bad rear end in a van I used to have, except that on the LS the vibration goes away eventually, and in the van it never ended.

It reminds me of the bias belt tires we used to have in the '60's, where they would develop a flat spot after being parked, bounce a bit for a while, and eventually smooth out. I took it to the dealership maybe a year ago and one of the guys rode with me; of course there was no problem then, because the dealer is 20 miles away.

The tires on this car (04 LSE, V8) are Continentals. I don't like them anyway, and I'm not sure why. I just don't like them. I've had them balanced and notice no difference. Thinking about buying new tires anyway, unless this might be a rear end problem (please, no!). I don't notice any change in noise during turns like a bearing might do, and there is no clicking or clunking like U joints. So...

What do you think? Get new tires and hope that stops it? Take it to the dealershop again, leave it for them to check out, and hope for the best?

Thanks,

Ed

Mine has been doing the same exact thing for about 2 years now(since I bought the car). It only does it when it's cold out, but after about 10 minutes of driving, it completely goes away....in the summer it's smooth at all times.

I bought brand new tires a month ago and still does it with the new tires. I just ignore it now. Have to bear with it only for few months, until the warm weather comes around.

Yessir.. Totally forgot about that one.. ;)

But it's so rare for it to fail because the rear end isn't moving up and down like a "normal" vehicle

Graphic.jpg

The tires are flat spotting. Normal for a low profile tire (50 or less).

Thanks a lot for the responses.

I think I'll go ahead and try out some new tires; will buy them next week. Local tire place is pointing me toward Michelin Pilot HX MXM4: $217 each. I seem to remember from a few of the threads here that a lot of LS owners like Dunlops; this local place doesn't have them.

If you have heard any disasterous reports about these Michelins, please lay it on me. Otherwise, I'm about to plunk down $800+ next week.

Interesting that the LS doesn't have u joints at each end of the drive shaft. Is ANYTHING on this car normal, standard, simple, inexpensive? (I already know the answer to this one).

Thanks again,

Ed

Thanks a lot for the responses.
Interesting that the LS doesn't have u joints at each end of the drive shaft. Is ANYTHING on this car normal, standard, simple, inexpensive? (I already know the answer to this one).

Thanks again,

Ed

Define "normal". Many vehicles use a split prop-shaft; it makes it easier to balance. The window regulator design has been used in German cars for years. NOTHING on a modern day car is simple or inexpensive. Thank Gummint regulations and the UAW for that.

As for tires, the Michelins will flat-spot just like any other low-profile tire. My Bridgestone RE960 Pole Position tires (245/45/18) do it when the temp is below ~60°. The Hankooks on my wife's LS do it all the time; as do the Khumos on my daughter's LS. If the tires still have plenty of tread left, save the money.

What do you want in a tire? Performance? Wet handling? Long life? Quiet? After you answer these questions go to Tire Rack and check out the reviews for the class of tire that suits your needs/desires. Performance tires WILL flat-spot.

I think I'll go ahead and try out some new tires; will buy them next week. Local tire place is pointing me toward Michelin Pilot HX MXM4: $217 each. I seem to remember from a few of the threads here that a lot of LS owners like Dunlops; this local place doesn't have them.

If you have heard any disasterous reports about these Michelins, please lay it on me. Otherwise, I'm about to plunk down $800+ next week.

There are better tires out there, especially for the money...I think they are pointing you towards the original equipment tire for the car.

Members online

Back