YAY "Check Transmission" With the infamous "E"

sickws6

LVC Member
Reaction score
Cant wait to see how money this will cost me now. It is still shifting normal and seems fine, I am sure something is going to happen unless this is happening for no reason. I have read countless threads about this. My 03 3.9 only has 64k on it, cant be the actual guts of transmission. I guess I will find out:mad: These cars are garbage.

i don't know. if it's running ok, take it to the dealer. maybe it's something that can be fixed to prevent a bigger problem. you'd think these errors come about to warn of impeding doom, at least in some cases.

they are not garbage. you're just upset :)

Take it to the dealer so they can charge me a lot of money to have some jack ass tear it up even more. yeah right. I do all my work my self. I knew I should not have bought this car people told me how much junk they are. First coils, then catalytic converters, then electrical issues, now transmission with a car that only has 64k miles. WOW

Well... It's apparent to me that you hate your LS.

As this is still (for now) a free country, you can sell it and buy something else that's not "junk".

Bitching and moaning on a Lincoln forum about how your LS is a piece of garbage ain't going to gain you much sympathy. Sorry you're having issues with your LS, but not every LS is a piece of junk... just yours, it would seem.

Look on the bright side, though. You won the honor of driving one of the problem LS's. :D

Look on the bright side, though. You won the honor of driving one of the problem LS's. :D

lol nice, My old girl has held together beyond what i ever expected it to. My trans was giving me some shift lag with the clunk into reverse but when i took it in to the dealer for a flush they asked if i wanted to add their extra something help your trans magic oil for an extra $15 lol well said what the hell go ahead and ill have to say its been shifting fine now for 70k and getting ready to take it in for another flush.

Well... It's apparent to me that you hate your LS.

As this is still (for now) a free country, you can sell it and buy something else that's not "junk".

Bitching and moaning on a Lincoln forum about how your LS is a piece of garbage ain't going to gain you much sympathy. Sorry you're having issues with your LS, but not every LS is a piece of junk... just yours, it would seem.

I guess i was just frustrated with all this happening. It seems like at least 80% of the people that own these cars have some sort of the same problems. All you have to do is google lincoln ls problems and you get like 200,000 pages of related material. I love the features this thing has and it is very comfortable.
Yeah I could sell it but HOW now that the transmission is F*#$%.

"just yours, it would seem." Is that why the majority of this forum is surrounded by LS PROBLEMS? LOL.

LOL I just read your signature LOL you have a link to lincoln problems haha good god man.

I guess i was just frustrated with all this happening.

Understandable. I get frustrated when my Viagara pills fail to launch the rocket.

It seems like at least 80% of the people that own these cars have some sort of the same problems. All you have to do is google lincoln ls problems and you get like 200,000 pages of related material

Something tells me you're exaggerating a bit. I am willing to lay down money against EVERYONE who owns an LS being an LvC member.

Furthermore, of course you're going to see more negative stuff about a particular car than positive. People don't get on the net and say "Yup! My car is working just fine, thank you! Just thought I'd let everyone know that for no reason".

I love the features this thing has and it is very comfortable.

It has some nice features and yes, it's relatively comfy.

Someone may not be concerned about the cost of a new tranny if the price is right.

"just yours, it would seem." Is that why the majority of this forum is surrounded by LS PROBLEMS? LOL.

See above. And to prove my point, please show me what the percentage of people coming on LvC just to say "My car is doing great, just thought I'd let everyone know" (or something similar) and I'll automatically have proven my point.

LOL I just read your signature LOL you have a link to lincoln problems haha good god man.

You read it, but you didn't click on it, did you? Had you clicked on it, you wouldn't have written that. ;)

My 03 3.9 only has 64k on it, cant be the actual guts of transmission.
Actually, it can. More than likely, it is the valve body; of course, to get to the valve body, a dealership will replace the torque converter, then the solenoid pack, then finally the valve body. My '06 had ~60K miles on the clock when the dealership went through that routine. Thank God for PowertrainCare...

I guess i was just frustrated with all this happening. It seems like at least 80% of the people that own these cars have some sort of the same problems. All you have to do is google lincoln ls problems and you get like 200,000 pages of related material. I love the features this thing has and it is very comfortable.

HAHA try reading again broham,,,, it says mark problems. Ill spell this one out for you. He has that on his sig to imply that the LS is a better car. Or so it seems to me.

As said before, if you dont like it, fix it and sell it. or sell it as is. If you heard all these problems about it, why did you buy it in the first place? And just so you know, EVERY car will have there problems. Unfortunatly, some are more expensive than others. Good luck with what ever you do.

HAHA try reading again broham,,,, it says mark problems. Ill spell this one out for you. He has that on his sig to imply that the LS is a better car. Or so it seems to me.

"He" (God, I hate referring to myself in the 3rd person) has that on "his" signature to help those jackasses who don't know how to find the search link, because "he" is the Search NAZI and doesn't like helping those who don't try to help themselves first.

Ok guys I have calmed myself a little. Thanks for the input on the solinoid pack.

I bought the car because I loved the performance of the 3.9l v8 and the looks and features the car offered and plus I got a killer deal!;)

Frogman sorry for being an ass, i will have to state though on ls1tech where I talk to th GM guys we mostly discuss modifications we have done to our cars and how to's and maintenance and such. Every thread on this forum almost is a question about problems. Yes I could sell the car if the price is right but I would obviously be at a loss if being honest which I would be.

I plan on keeping this car because I do really like it and luckliy the dealer has covered everything except now is seems like they will not help with the transmission issue. I will keep you all posted on the status of what is going on.

These cars have many common problems that are often talked about. In a way that is a good thing because finding answers is easier. My LS has been more problematic than other cars that I have owned, but it has never left me stranded. Thanks for keeping us posted hopefully your repairs wont be that bad. This is a great forum for LS owners to help each other out.

Got the codes pulled. I am getting the P1744 code something about the tc not locking up?

Got the codes pulled. I am getting the P1744 code something about the tc not locking up?

Makes sense.
"Stuck OFF: harsh shifts or engagements, engine rpm higher than expected. Stuck ON: vehicle stalls when in drive gear at idle, harsh shifts or engagements or engine rpm lower than expected. May turn on MIL. "

It's probably going to be that you need a new solenoid body assembly.

When I got the E, my code was P0741 (Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off). The dealership replaced the TC (didn't fix it), then the solenoid pack (didn't fix it), and finally the valve body (fixed it). The irony is that I told them up front that my research indicated that the valve body was the usual culprit; if they'd been working on my dime (which they wouldn't, but I digress), I would've had them cut to the chase. Ford was picking up all but $100 of the tab, including the cost of the nice '10 Fusion I had as a loaner, so I let them fix it according to the book. (Fortunately, the transmission kept failing the diagnostics after each repair, so I didn't have to keep taking it back.)

FWIW, they replaced the solenoid pack about a year before the valve body took a dump. From what I've read, when they replace the solenoid pack, the valve body often (if not usually) follows in its footsteps.

I have been doing tons of research on this code with these transmissions.
The majority of this code is related to the TCC Modulator Sleeve & Plunger I from the research. I read that guys have simply removed the plunger and sleeve and cleaned it off and lubed it up and reinstalled and this got rid of the problem. Guessing that contaminants prevent the plunger from actuating the fluid to actuate the TC. I might try this first or maybe just replace the plunger and sleeve all together with the sonnax redesigned one.

I just got the "E" at 120,000 miles. The local trans shop pulled the codes for free and replaced the solenoid pack and the valve body for $620 including new fluid and filter. It threw the "E" again later in the evening after I picked it up. The new code was 840(?) so they replaced the reverse switch and all has been fine since...but it's only been a week now.

Well I guess I will buy the selonoid block and replace that see what that does.

i join the E club today while on the highway. havent got the codes yet, but the dash said "gear select data error".

I understand your anger.....

Last week I'm driving across the continental divide, headed back to work after a week off for a funeral. Cruisin along fine, like it should be (as babied a life as possible). Then I notice, I'm cruising at 80mph but turning 3500 rpms. That's a bit high. I shift down to D4, no change... so I'm not in D5. Oh well, let's try another downshift. Slow down and downshift to 3... tranny starts slipping, won't go back to 4th. Pretty soon, really starts slipping, cavitating, whining....oh $hit. So I do some research, get a motel room, and call a tranny shop. I tell em exactly what I want done. "let's pull the valvebody, I wanna check the 4:3 valve spring. Valve spring intact. Ok, so lets replace solenoid and filter, put in new shift kit, and fill with new fluid. I rent a car and head back to work. Exactly one week later, head back to tranny shop. Dude is just finishing up putting the fluid in when I pull up. "You haven't tested it yet?" I just drove 400 miles to pick up my car and it ain't been driven? WTF?!?!?!!
Anyway, mechanic SAYS he replaced solenoid, filter and new springs in valvebody. Of course, I'm halfway across the country and don't know this dude from Adam. Went for a test drive, and smoke pouring from underneath. Tranny fluid overflowing into bottom of torque converter housing. Revving up all to hell and not pulling at all. Sorry, but these cars really are crap.... PERIOD. Thanks again Ford, for your wonderful engineering and typical crap product. It would be different if I wailed on this thing, burned the tires off, floored it all the time, but no... It was well taken care of, so, I'm selling this P.O.S., and getting a 3/4ton Dodge.... Hemi or Cummins will be my only dilemma. Later, guys.

Cant wait to see how money this will cost me now. It is still shifting normal and seems fine, I am sure something is going to happen unless this is happening for no reason. I have read countless threads about this. My 03 3.9 only has 64k on it, cant be the actual guts of transmission. I guess I will find out:mad: These cars are garbage.
Man dnt trip my trans just when out like 4 days ago and I just baught it like 3 months ago for 1700$ I just got a quote for 1400$ with the selenoid so I'm going for it its beutiful car and everything else is gd on it I'm just gonna wait until I save the money since I'm a single Dad.Just not long ago I posted on here how I replace all all 6 inside speakers..hope my story makes u feel better.I know this is and old thread.

Man dnt trip my trans just when out like 4 days ago and I just baught it like 3 months ago for 1700$ I just got a quote for 1400$ with the selenoid so I'm going for it its beutiful car and everything else is gd on it I'm just gonna wait until I save the money since I'm a single Dad.Just not long ago I posted on here how I replace all all 6 inside speakers..hope my story makes u feel better.I know this is and old thread.
I hope you're not saying that they quoted you $1400 dollars for a solenoid pack?

I hope you're not saying that they quoted you $1400 dollars for a solenoid pack?
No for overhaul and rebuil with a new selenoid included alot others that I call wanted to check to see if it work or didnt included.

Members online

No members online now.
Back