Alternator failure or something else?

Thanks for all the responses!! I would have chimed in during the day, but I had to work 10 hours. Most of that was in a hot drop ceiling too..... Dont worry, I am not going to disconnect the battery while the car is running. Someone at work suggested it, and it is something I would do on my 71 Mustang but not the LS due to the 7 computers. The car fires right up with no delay, and the last 2 days it has acted normally. I drive about two hours every day and am now watching voltage on my lightning cap's display. It seems like it either works normally, or not at all. I do have some spliced wiring though. The car was stolen and wrecked and some of the trunk wiring is spliced. Anyone know what turns the alternator on and off? Maybe I should just go buy one.

the battery is not a filter or regulator thats why the power box, fuses, relays, etc are for. the battery just starts the car and gives power when the alternator is not working.
google it.

i dont live in a village.

You are completely wrong. I don't have to Google it. I am an electrical engineer. I have been one for quite some time. I have designed automotive electronics in the past.

97STscaddy--thanks for the informative post about alternator function. I thought that alternators put out AC and then converted to DC, but I wasnt sure how.

then you are not a very good one

It's a shame you weren't at my last performance review. Clearly, I shouldn't be the principal electrical engineer at my company, and clearly you would know me enough to know that.

I am an electrical engineer. I have been one for quite some time. I have designed automotive electronics in the past.

That explains a lot. Cool

Alternator

Awesome link that you posted, Joe. Your thoughtful, experienced, and sound tech based opinions continue to aid those of us that eschew the inexperience, incompetence, carelessness and expense of many for-profit service operations.

Since when have you posted something helpful?

Yea, that's what I thought.. I have received tons of advise from him. And I have the knowledge to back him up because I'm a certified auto technician... even my teacher who did everything the "farmer" way said not to do this.. like said, its fine on something that has 3-4 connections but when your messing with computers, that's your expensive call

ITS ONLY DANGEROUS IF YOU ARE STUPID
its not dangerous as in physical injury, it is dangerous to the electronics in the car

you are not going to grab both ends at the same time or put them in your mouth. it wont blow or f*uck anything.
except for the fact that it could fukc up everything, and your lack of knowledge doesn't change the way real life works, thats why many people have fukced up there cars by doing this.

the battery is not a filter or regulator thats why the power box, fuses, relays, etc are for. the battery just starts the car and gives power when the alternator is not working.
google it.
again thank you for showing that you are a complete tool and have absolutely no clue, please since you are so intellegent, why dont you elobrate on how exactly a fuse, relay, or "power box" can filter anything.
fuses protect, relays turn on and off, and "power boxes" distribute.
again google cant help you with being retarded. and just because googe can find it doesn't mean that its right!

i dont live in a village.
thats funny, i thought cities had schools and universities and things of that nature

97STSCADDY..
im not going to read your post because its too long.
well its called reading, you go left to right and top to bottom, and you group words together to make sentences, also take Tylenol for head aches and Midol for cramps

wow im surprised with your 3rd grade level of education, that you where able to make that assessment.
lets check the records
Joe has help a few hundred people with his knowledge and facts and diagrams
and Hernandez has helped absolutely nobody, and continued to give incorrect information over and over with absolutely no facts to back anything up other than "this is how we do it in my information deprived sh!thole"

bottom line, there is a reason that all the cars are engineered and designed in America and just built in Mexico

so please go back to giving donkey tune ups and leave the fact telling and info giving to the people with degrees

congratulations, you made it to the top of the LVC most worthless members list(i mean even re-pete makes us laugh our @sses off from time to time),

you shall now be branded H-bones

who else is on LVC's most worthless members list? lol

+1 on joegr for mayor

who else is on LVC's most worthless members list?

R-bones is the president, marven the douche is vice pres, H-bones could be the secretary, and Re-pete has flirted with the list but his never ending supply of demotivational posters has saved him, im sure that there has been more douche bags big enough to make it

oh yea, cant forget about bicycle mirror guy!

The car ran fine again today....... Thanks for all the posts I am getting a good laugh.

Awesome link that you posted, Joe. Your thoughtful, experienced, and sound tech based opinions continue to aid those of us that eschew the inexperience, incompetence, carelessness and expense of many for-profit service operations.

holy sh*t...we all love joegr, including myself...for the wealth of info he provides at times, but damn suck his c*ck while ur at it lol....:D just jokin ....but seriously....suck it...

R-bones is the president, marven the douche is vice pres, H-bones could be the secretary, and Re-pete has flirted with the list but his never ending supply of demotivational posters has saved him, im sure that there has been more douche bags big enough to make it

oh yea, cant forget about bicycle mirror guy!

lmao i remember that guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....oh yea and hernandez god damn i hate to tell you but you suck lol....i think it is safe to say that everything you say is wrong, even when you are right. i am going to have to agree with 1loudls on this one..:)

holy sh*t...we all love joegr, including myself...for the wealth of info he provides at times, but damn suck his c*ck while ur at it lol....:D just jokin ....but seriously....suck it...

don't lie, you really wish he was sucking yours.... lol just kidding....:D and yea i agree with 1LoudLS 100%

LOl. +1 for joe

By the way, is the marvin the douche thread still out there? It was before my time, but i've heard him come up a lot, oh that pic of him with the fro, I think,has circled around too

so i know the last 2 but who is R-bones and marven the douche

for starters marvin the douche(02LS8Lincoln/DarmansLSEV8/DrLSEV8) is this useless waste of space that has a few different screen names on here and has ripped off fellow members

marvindouchebag.jpg

and one of the good stories of how he has fukced somebody
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=44750

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showpost.php?p=430759&postcount=22

and of course, if you see him on the street, kick him in the balls

sorry im having a hard time of finding a picture of RBones but he is definitely one of the biggest turds i have ever heard from.

he was some punk @ss teenager that though he was the king of pimps because he drove a LS

my alternator

my 01V6 at 112k had alternator failure. the symptoms were that the charge light would come and go, the car kept running for several weeks until final failure, during that time I shopped around for another replacement, but got caught the day before I was going to do the work and ended up being towed home. An easy check, is to put a multimeter across the battery terminals to check the charge while the engine is running. Should read about 14.5 volts, then turn on the air conditioning and watch the meter, the reading will drop and then come back up to 14.5 as the alternator kicks in. If the meter voltage at the battery keeps dropping the alternator is not charging. When my alternator was failing, sometimes it would charge and then not! Went to advanced auto and got a lifetime warranty model, works fine.

Staff online

Members online

Back