Electric tilt stopped working

Staffamerica74

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok any idea how I can fix my tilt? The telescoping works perfect but the tilt is intermittent. Its sort of annoying to drive with the wheel not tilted at all.:mad:

The potetimeter has died. You can't get one from Ford and you can't find it in the aftermarket. You will have to get one from the junkyard..sorry.

Sometimes it will work and work fine until i turn off the car. When I start it later it doesn't work again :( I guess ill have to pull it apart.

to fix the telescoping steering wheel in a mark viii is it replacing the motors or thefixing the white plastic peice in the columns mech.? i reasearched it could be either or

the potentiometer isnt dead, just dirty, its a small plastic housing with two forks in it and 2 electrci contact slides, if you want to fix it pull the column apart, not fun, open the potentiometer box and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser, it will work like new. now i made this sound easy, its far from easy!

the potentiometer isnt dead, just dirty, its a small plastic housing with two forks in it and 2 electrci contact slides, if you want to fix it pull the column apart, not fun, open the potentiometer box and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser, it will work like new. now i made this sound easy, its far from easy!

Hmmm...I have an old one in the parts shed...may have to try this one, thanks Jamie.

i have fixed many columns i have removed from cars i bought to part out that didnt work, first thing i do is remove the column, take apart, clean the potentiometer and put the column back in and test, never had one not work yet!! knock on wood.

would it be beneficial to put a dab of dielectric grease on the contacts?

sure if you want dirt to get on the contacts again, thats why they do what they do, because ford globbed gearse on them, thats what needs to be cleaned off to make it work properly again. all the ones i cleaned, i left dry and they worked mint.

i have fixed many columns i have removed from cars i bought to part out that didnt work, first thing i do is remove the column, take apart, clean the potentiometer and put the column back in and test, never had one not work yet!! knock on wood.

How hard is it to open the potentiometer box? Are there tabs that might break off?

yes, it is delicate, have to be very careful. the easiest part to break is the extention on the side where the electrical plug hooks to the potentiometer. there is a small pc board inside this extention, and it can snap off easily. you must take great care in playing with the whole column.

Yeah, that's what I am having to do now....it takes away from the wow factor when my mother gets in and sees it and the seat move when I put the key in

bumping the wheel will not work eventually though! and bump it hard enough and you'll really be pissed when you see the ball bearings laying on the floor mat!!!!!!!!!

Mine does this too, the tilt seems to work only if I first telescope to a certain position. All auto wheel & seat functions turned off after stuck drivers' seat switch killed battery.

Mine does this too, the tilt seems to work only if I first telescope to a certain position. All auto wheel & seat functions turned off after stuck drivers' seat switch killed battery.

What I do when mine won't tilt on the auto memory is, I push up and down on the steering wheel while I am using the tilt button, it always tilts when I do that.:)

mines does that sometimes but Ive noticed that if i press the button while putting pressure on the steering wheel in whatever direction I want it to move it will get unstuck and move.

yea when my wife was pregnant she kept pulling herself out by the wheel till it started flopping around. then i had to pull it apart and replace those bearings in the plastic housing. Not fun at all.

Get the steering wheel where you want it and pull the fuse. This is the only way to prevent further damage.

Members online

Back