Tire SURPRISE

LongIslandLSE

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So i took off work today and decided to clean my car. I am finishing up and look in the trunk and decide to clean the trunk because its filthy. For some reason i lift up the spare tire cover and discover this nice surprise. The spare has never been used and this is the first time it has been out of the car. There was a little bit of water at the bottom of my trunk, which i didnt like because the battery had some condensation on the side. Anyway any ideas why the tire would just explode in the trunk, as you can see there is some rust on the metal bands. :confused: :confused:

tire1.jpg
tire2.jpg
tire3.jpg

tire1.jpg

tire2.jpg

tire3.jpg

yeah i touched it, and the part that blew out was away from the battery, oh yeah and my battery works like new.

That tire has been used, you can tell by the gravel imbedded in the tread and the lack of mold extrusions that have worn off.

That tire has been used, you can tell by the gravel imbedded in the tread and the lack of mold extrusions that have worn off.

sorry i may have embelished how long it has been in there, it hasnt been used in atleast 2 years. It basically exploded out of nowhere is what im trying to say.

I don't think that tire blew up in the trunk. You'd have some damage to the spare tire well where it sits.

That tire looks used. You said it's never been used...?

If there's no damage to the tire well, then I think it blew up outside of the trunk.

Then again, I could be wrong. I don't know much about things exploding.

I agree with exploding outside of the trunk. Not only the gravel, but there would at least be significant witness marking on the trunk side.
KS

Now before this gets too far off topic, I have a 16 inch spare for sale. I went and found a full size 17 wheel and had a tire mounted. I am in LA so shipping might be steep.

Now before this gets too far off topic, I have a 16 inch spare for sale. I went and found a full size 17 wheel and had a tire mounted. I am in LA so shipping might be steep.

appretiate it but I am going to buy a tire here, how much can a 185/70/17 cost. To my knowledge it blew in the trunk, I checked it when I bought the car and I have never used it. I thought something got in my trunk and was eating at it, I was expecting something to jump out at me. I don't know.

35PSI with that much volume that tire holds...? You'd know it when it went off in the trunk. And there would be damage. Guaranteed.

I thought the spare was 60 PSI or so?

Donut spare use about 55-60 psi, that tire is a full size and uses the recommended 30-32psi.

It doesn't look full size in the pictures. The "...Y USE ONLY..." is a good clue that this is not a normal tire. The spares in my 04 and 06 are different widths, and the one in the picture looks like the bigger of the two, however, it is still not as wide as a normal (stock) tire. The full size tires have three rows of thread (plus the outer two). The reduced size (doughnut) spares have two, as is pictured. Of course, I could be wrong here...

Maybe, I guess LongIslandSLE will have to clarify. You got my curiosity up. I was under the impression they went to donut spare with the 2nd gen.

Maybe, I guess LongIslandSLE will have to clarify. You got my curiosity up. I was under the impression they went to donut spare with the 2nd gen.

Nope. Full size spare was an early option. My 2000 has a doughnut.

What if the previous owner put nitric oxide (to boost oxygen levels and performance or whatever other period table elements are used for in tires, haha) in it and due to heat and rattling it exploded on the weakest side or sumthin...I just know my Creatine explodes if shaken due to nitric oxide...and I've seen a CSI las vegas episode in which a bus tire blew killing man cause someone put an unstable gas in the tire who used to be a bus driver himself but was fired so he was getting revenge but wasn't expecting that kind of disaster.

What if the previous owner put nitric oxide (to boost oxygen levels and performance or whatever other period table elements are used for in tires, haha) in it and due to heat and rattling it exploded on the weakest side or sumthin...I just know my Creatine explodes if shaken due to nitric oxide...and I've seen a CSI las vegas episode in which a bus tire blew killing man cause someone put an unstable gas in the tire who used to be a bus driver himself but was fired so he was getting revenge but wasn't expecting that kind of disaster.

Try to keep it real Pete, put the Redi Whip can down and take some deep breaths.

Members online

No members online now.
Back