coil conversions

sid grubbs

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
How's your feelings on coil conversions? Does it ride different?? Does it change the height? I've had one friend on the site tells me he loves his. Tell me yours. PLEASE My MARK is a 95 IMMACULATE 44000 miles always in a garage. Old guy had it,,he died,,sister kept it for a while,,she only started it up once in a while,,had her own car. I replaced the tires,they only had 14000 on them but were 8 1/2 years old,,belt,,all hoses,,filters. REDCELL told me about EDDIE. Would like your opinions.

Ive owned mark vii's and viii's with both coil springs and air springs.

Air springs FTW.

^ Why?

I say this because I'm probably going to ditch my bags...

What's the advantage?

^ Why?

What's the advantage?

I'm assuming ride quality.

My 94' had the 1.5" lowered coil conversion and I was happy with it, rode fine.

The problem here is that most who converted are going from worn out air-ride to new coil. Of course it will ride "better".

I myself replaced my aged air-ride with new OEM and could not be happier. I can adjust the ride height on the fly, it self levels when loading up the back seat or trunk and even with 20s it rides very smoothly.

Really need someone unbiased to get into a new air-ride Mark and then a new coiled Mark to compare.

The problem here is that most who converted are going from worn out air-ride to new coil. Of course it will ride "better".

Really need someone unbiased to get into a new air-ride Mark and then a new coiled Mark to compare.

I did the same, replaced old worn out air ride with OEM and the ride was fantastic

I also rode in my friends spring converted car and all I can say is..

"I couldn't get out of the car fast enough"...
It rode like absolute crap.
He asked if I wanted to drive it, and I said without hesitation..
"NO, just take me back to work please"

Some may consider me biased towards air ride, but IMHO I just call em like I see them... and.. I know a crappy ride when I feel one.

Car was bouncing and rebounding over the slightest road imperfection, it followed the grooves in the road and the impact from expansion joints was too much for me to bear... along with the "up and down" bouncing of the car as it just "rode down the road".

I myself replaced my aged air-ride with new OEM and could not be happier. I can adjust the ride height on the fly, it self levels when loading up the back seat or trunk and even with 20s it rides very smoothly.

I don't think coils ride "better" but they were tolerable. However, I do enjoy the air ride on my 97' and will continue to use air ride.

Not saying they are better, its just most that convert say "oh my god the handing is so much better, blah blah...". And since 99% of coil converts are from worn out air its hard to get a real opinion. Thats all.

I think air-ride with the right anti-sway bars is the way to go. But cost is the number one reason most switch to coil. New OEM air-ride can get very expensive.

Car was bouncing and rebounding over the slightest road imperfection, it followed the grooves in the road and the impact from expansion joints was too much for me to bear... along with the "up and down" bouncing of the car as it just "rode down the road".

Sounds like there were more problems on that car you rode in than just the coil swap. (bad front end and perhaps poor alignment)

I've been in three air Marks and two coil Marks. (one being mine)

Only thing I really noticed with coils was a harsher ride in the rear. At first, my springs were very firm, but after 5000 miles they settled nicely.

I don't regret coils as they were a cheap and quick fix. (had a deadline at the time) But, I will switch back to air one day.

^ Why?

What's the advantage?

A few reasons.

First and foremost, ride quality. I like the fact of how smooth the lincolns handle and ride on the road. What do you drive everday, your mark VIII? How long has it been since you daily driven something with worn out springs? ICK, they ride like shyt. Coil springs wear out as well, something to keep in mind just as air springs do. If you have forgotten what other cars feel like - Go hop in a mustang or camaro, tbird, etc....youll be dying for that air suspension ride...im so spoiled with how smooth my car is, i dont like riding in anyone elses car.

want to convert because of the Lowering kits?

Pffft, just get new bags and sensor lower, same thing and cooler...you can slam it all the way with the air springs anyway.

Another big one for me is - Air suspension hooks up and transfers weight better at the track.

Keep in mind, i am just one guy and these are just my opinions. Its just To me - the cost vs the quality and longevity of either system just doesnt justify taking out what makes this car so unique.I ve looked at so many cars before i bought mine and i turned down many because there were converted. Nice cars, but i passed.

As i've said i've owned mustangs, mark vii's and mark viii's and ive owned the lincolns both ways on each and i've installed both kinds on both and even installed and driven a lowering kit (coil springs) on the VIII and there is no way i'd ever go back to coil springs.

Air suspension is the sickness- between my extreme spider valve, ray switch, and oem air suspension with 60k miles on it... i couldnt be happier.

Coils can't be that bad - some of the smoothest cars I've rode in had coils. The LS has coils and rides nice, so does the TC with half air. Shock damping, bushing and isolator firmness / intergrity etc. have a big impact on overall ride quality too. (I'll throw unsuspended weight, anti - roll bar stiffness and tire type / pressure in their too - Lol.)

Ill give you that coil springs arent "that bad" but thats no where near how i'd describe my air springs, they ride much better then "not that bad" :p Even though most vehicles on the road use coil springs, they were designed for it, ours wasnt. No matter what anyone says, a coiled piece of metal will never give the same cushion as a rubber bladder filled with air.

In all reality, theres a pretty simple conclusion on this topic thats been beaten to death.

Do you want that sweet lincoln ride? Then keep the air springs

Do you want the quick fix and not have to worry about the bags for awhile?

If so get coils. Dont forget, the coils will wear out just like the air springs do and with a 10yr/100,000 mile average life time on the air springs, its just not worth converting one of the most unique features you can play with and modify on our cars to switch over because at the time it may be easier. I understand some poeple do it for finicial issues or because the air ride can scare people away, or the crazy prices dealers and shops charge...but if you the passion for the ride you'll learn after a while the air system isnt all that complicated.

I will say this however, i have never seen anyone complain about how sh!tty thier air suspension rides..only problems because it needs maintence.

So that tells me almost every single person that has a lincoln loves the air ride until it gives them problem, right?

air ride = win! :D

In all reaity its all a matter of personal preference. I've been on both sides of the fence and still love the air ride for being such an awesome system to have... even on the day i come out to find my car sitting on the ground. lol

I think this question is so over asked .... and need a Frogman Do a Search...

Some people like air ride others don't care it's a matter of opinion..

and the opinions have been stated too many time...

Spend what you want!!! it really doesn't matter which you have. All depends on what you like.

I think this question is so over asked .

agree'd and since it's over asked, here is another detail that is often overlooked.

Our car already have the worst resale on the planet..

Everytime I see a Mark 8 for sale and they mention coil springs..
I automatically deduct 1K from the offering price.

The cost to retrofit and figure out "what was hacked apart" is often 1K worth of parts and labor and troubleshooting.

If you check the ebay mark 8's.. the vast majority of them often have a spring conversion.

I often wonder why...since the most problematic part of the car has supposedly been "replaced".. that these cars usually within 1 YEAR wind up on ebay?

Kinda makes ya go....HMMMMMM?

it's my personal opinion that once converted, many of the owners lose their appeal for the car. Hell most might not even know "why" they dont like the car anymore..
*shruggs*

I thought about that too.

Could also be because they want to sell the car anyway and can't sell it as easily with an air ride problem, so they go for a cheap fix to make the car road worthy, thereby making it easier to sell.

they want to sell the car anyway and can't sell it as easily with an air ride problem, so they go for a cheap fix to make the car road worthy and therefore easier to sell.

That's like putting 40 weight oil in the motor to make it quiet for resale.

IMHO I'd rather have a blown up air ride and "know what I was" buying then have some "economically driven halfassed repair" done prior to sale.

your scenario is so the seller can spend a little and charge MORE for a busted car, kinda sucks if you ask me.

correction, BOTH the converted cars I rode horrible.

something else to consider is from the drivers seat cars feel much different than they do from the drivers seat.

drivers are less subjected to the movement of the car due to them hanging onto the steering wheel and the overall "driving experience".

Jump in the passenger seat and let someone else drive you around for a hour or so, you might see things from a "different angle".

JUST an observation of course.

That's like putting 40 weight oil in the motor to make it quiet for resale.

Lol, yup, I agree.

Also like putting wood shavings into a diff to stop a whine.. Egg in the cooling system to stop a leak... And... A rather naughty one i did to pass an inspection... Sanding rusty brake and fuel lines, then smearing them with that silver colored anti seize! :shifty:

Disclaimer: Blue doesn't condone such practices and has since replaced some of the rustiest lines. :p

You can just give me a 'slap' for my state inspection badness! :D

In all seriousness though, (for Sid) if you are a car enthusiast that likes the air - keep it and stay on top of it. If you don't care about ride too much and just want a working, reliable car that rides ok, go coil.

its the front that bounces around.............

the reason a converted Mark VIII bounces like crap in the front is............the Sensatracs are CRAP for the front.

the back are perfectly fine, just get a good shock up front, i got Koni's, so the thing even has 'the bounce' that you see little Hondas do on the freeway, cause the shocks are set to the highest setting.......

ill take that over the front end swaying up and down with no end............

on the lowest setting i can recreate the sensacrap ride.....up and down, up and down.....thats supposed to be 'stock' :confused:

i love my coils with Koni shocks :p

Those Koni adjustables are cool, just spendy. I had them with Eibachs on my BMW. I liked how you can change the ride from wallowy soft to rock hard. If it's possible to change the shock portion of a front air bag assy, then those would be a great addition!

Members online

No members online now.
Back