D5 - D4 question

carlo1

LVC Member
Reaction score
OK...I'm gonna try and get all the nu-b questions out...BTW I did try a search first.

Whats the deal with the D5-D4?

D5 is more for Hwy and D4 for city? is there any harm shifting from D4 to D5 while in gear and cruising?

Ex: traveling 35-40mph on city then onto the on ramp and shifting to D5 for hwy speed?

Want to make sure I dont cause any Tranny issues.

C

D5 is 5th gear, which is also overdrive. D4 is 4th gear. Just leave it in D5 and it will decide which gear it should be in.

D5 is 5th gear, which is also overdrive. D4 is 4th gear. Just leave it in D5 and it will decide which gear it should be in.

I found that if I use D4 while in the city I average 2 mpg more than keeping it in D5. D5 shifts too much for the stop/go city driving. I know the manual describes D5 (O/D) for hwy and D4 for city/towing etc.

Avg mpg with D5 in the city 15-17

Avg mpg with D4 in the city 17-19

I do not open this car up often if at all...maybe thats my problem :D

Of course it is. The car shifts itself while you drive. It's all electronic anyway. When you move the shifter all it does is change the position of a switch which then tells the PCM to change gears, and that tells the solenoids in the transmission to change depending on what gear you put the shifter in.

that is odd that you get better mpg in d4 i was told that d5 is the gas saver

On highway it is......I notice then in city the gears struggle between eachother quite often when around 2000RPM

D4 - stop and go traffic. I use D4 all the time in the city.

D5 - highway traveling. I only shift into this at 60mph or higher.

D5 is a similar concept to the classic overdrive. D4 shifts less often and allows the engine to go to higher RPMs before shifting. I know that is fairly redundant.

I always use D4 when I'm in Chicago, in my hometown there is no where near as much traffic so I will typically stay in D5.

And yes, you can change between the two while driving with no problem. Moving the selector doesn't cause the car to shift (why I called it a selctor instead of a shifter). It just tells the computer what shifting profile to use.

SST gives you the added ability to tell the computer, shift up now or shift down now. And if you have the stupid stock program it may shift, or it might wait 4 seconds and then shift.

D4 - stop and go traffic. I use D4 all the time in the city.

D5 - highway traveling. I only shift into this at 60mph or higher.

Thanks for the insight! I too also thought that it was better to always be in D5.
Turns out this thread may actually be of useful insight! ;)

Thanks guys! Thats exactly the info I was looking for. I don't like to assume what I'm not sure about.

C

Members online

Back