Questions for you guys with aftermarket HID

gt95coupe

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
1st for you guys that have bought the kit from LSK I was thinking of getting th 6k kit. I know the cons of getting anything above the 4k kit. Hows the view from the drivers seat can you see more of the road or is it harder to see the road. I want just a little bit diffrent color from the HIDs but I dont want to sacrifice road visibility.

2nd question this is MORE important. Has anyone rewired the low beams to stay on when the highs are on. The reason for this is I dont to cause premature failure on the HID bulbs. If you have please enlighten me. BTW I did a search and couldnt find what I was looking for Thanks in advance guys Danny

Danny,

I have run the 4300K, 6000K and the 8000K bulbs. I have to say the 4300K is much brighter than the others. I first got the 8000K and was expecting it to be bright but they were not. It was a very deep blue and was hard to see. I then swapped to the 6000K and the light pattern was a greenish color and still dark. If you are wanting something to light up the night then I'd highly recommend the 4300K.

As for the issue with premature bulb failure, as long as you don't cycle from high to low numerous times in a short amount of time you should not have a problem. I have done this with my Xetronic kit and have not had any issues.

I am with Ken. I ordered the 4300k kit and they are nice and bright. Just got to install my new fog light bulbs now but it is too dam cold.

I have a 10000K kit and it is very bright. I dont know about compared to the other kits, but I know I am very happy with it! It is very bright and looks very good IMO.

C-Snizzle said:
I have a 10000K kit and it is very bright. I dont know about compared to the other kits, but I know I am very happy with it! It is very bright and looks very good IMO.

can you take some pics at night from the drivers seat?

Well, I've been browsing the forum for a few weeks now & here's my first post. I know I'm a noob, but I've wanted to get some HID lighting for my 2000 LS mainly because I've been having trouble seeing at night with my factory halogens and a lot of my commutes as well as my neighborhood tend to be poorly lit.

I know that for the best performance, I should get some projectors and use 4300 for my temp. However, I don't know what to do from there. I'm not very mechanically gifted, but I have been trying to educate myself to save on all the labor costs I've been incurring lately. So these are the questions I have.

1. I've been to the lsk website & I checked out the HID kits on there. But to eliminate glare and get a sharp cutoff line, I need to get some projectors. From all the sites and forums I've been on, I have yet to see any LS or Lincoln specific projectors. I've seen some people say they retrofitted using a different model like Acura or Mercedes, etc. For those of you who have retrofitted, could you tell me what type of kit/projectors would you recommend me get?

2. Would it be accurate to estimate around $800-$1000 total cost after labor if I had a body shop do it for me? I really would like to do it myself, but as I said before, I have little mechanic knowledge and I've never even taken headlights off before, so I don't want end up paying more because I effed up. And I've read about the issues with the sealant on the pre-03' models too so I don't want to get screwed by a shop because of that.

Thanks a lot in advance to everyone & I'm glad to be with fellow LS conosseuirs here :)

d.e.beatup said:
2. Would it be accurate to estimate around $800-$1000 total cost after labor if I had a body shop do it for me?

Ill do them for $1000 for ya, hehe. The projector will be difficult to do. YOu might want to start just by getting the 4300K HID's and go from there. Im sure those alone will give you the lighting you need.

d.e.beatup said:
$1000 total cost

Man that is 10% the value of your car!
Just try the HID's for now. If need-be buy the blue fog light Halogen's too.

Thanks for the info guys. I predicted that amount because I know the digital HID kit on the lsk site is about $450 and with the issues I've heard about the sealant as well as retrofitting projectors for LS' specifically, I thought labor would be out the wazoo.

My question now is, do those of you with just HID on your cars, do you guys have some sort of shield on there also? I've been reading on hidplanet.com's forums and the majority of members there strongly advise against going for HID without projectors because of the unfocused light and potential glare. One thread shows the glare w/out projectors on some kits

fa99725e.jpg

fb291d25.jpg

hid010.jpg

HID20001_copy.gif

versus cars retrofitted with projectors

fa82f13d.jpg

DSC03494_small.jpg

hid_011copy.gif

I don't want to put anyone out of their way, but if you have just HID w/out projectors, could you post a pic of how your lights perform? I just don't want to pour anymore money down the drain.

Also dont forget, the LS did come with HID's from the factory as an option using the same housing the regular bulb uses. The pics from the HID forum you found are probably from Civics or something that were never made to use HID bulbs from the factory causing that crazy light pattern.

gt95coupe said:
2nd question this is MORE important. Has anyone rewired the low beams to stay on when the highs are on. The reason for this is I dont to cause premature failure on the HID bulbs. If you have please enlighten me. BTW I did a search and couldnt find what I was looking for Thanks in advance guys Danny

:confused: I thought they stay on already. (*goes out to test car*)

02V8Sport said:
Also dont forget, the LS did come with HID's from the factory as an option using the same housing the regular bulb uses. The pics from the HID forum you found are probably from Civics or something that were never made to use HID bulbs from the factory causing that crazy light pattern.

I have a 2000; I know the later models did, but I didn't know pre-03's did?

02V8Sport said:

Excellent point!

I would like to see the diffrent colors used on a LS housing. could you guys post some pics at night wight the diffrent Kelvin ratings from 4300 - 10000 or whatever.

cmon guys can some one post some pics of the 6k and the 8k I would like the pics to be at night I want to see the color and the beam pattern PLEASE thanks in advance Danny

i would like to see points to and also i have a 2000 LS and was planning on getting the HiDs but didnt know about the sealent problems or whatever it has with the HID...can someone get me up to speed with what problems the HIDs may cause with my sealent if possible if there actually is any??

LS_KiNG said:
i would like to see points to and also i have a 2000 LS and was planning on getting the HiDs but didnt know about the sealent problems or whatever it has with the HID...can someone get me up to speed with what problems the HIDs may cause with my sealent if possible if there actually is any??
I think the problem with the sealent is only concerning the headlights fogging up on the inside I dont think there is a problem caused by HIDs

actually...the reflector inside the housing is different on the hid equipped cars....the beam and cutoff is very clear and crisp...i just swapped in factory lincoln hid's they look amazing

well then in that case can a 00-02 be retrofitted to use a 03-06 HID housing, if this is possible then your problem is solved just retrofit them.

well then in that case can a 00-02 be retrofitted to use a 03-06 HID housing, if this is possible then your problem is solved just retrofit them.

the headlights are swapable all you have to do is also swap the headlight mounting panel. Also there is some sort of harness modification that has to be done.

the headlights are swapable all you have to do is also swap the headlight mounting panel. Also there is some sort of harness modification that has to be done.

x2. No need to retrofit because they are designed for hid's unlike the regular halogen reflector but they are pretty hard to come by and not cheap from Lincoln.

ur going to get glare if u dont do the projectors.. i've had the lights for 3 years and always had glare.. not too sure about a heat shield.. the headlamps r very big and open, it would be pretty visible

Members online

Back