Aviator Fuel Mileage while towing comparisons

josh97056

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Lincoln Aviator AWD Ultimate with Heavy duty tow package option.

I took my travel trailer out for the first time last weekend and figured that I would get about the same mileage as my old Silverado which was around 10-11mpg. Boy was I wrong. I managed to squeeze a whopping 8.3 mpg average out of my mostly flat land trip.

Is 8.3mpg typical towing mileage for the aviator? Anyone else tow with there aviator? My trailer is an 18ft weighing in at 3500#. I would also never believe that this vehicle could tow it's rated 7300# maybe down hill?!

Aviator towing.jpg

Nice pic! I woulden't be surprised if you're like 1 out 10 people on earth that has ever towed anything of significance with an Aviator. I've never towed anything. The 8.3 does seem dismal, maybe in need of a tune up?

it doesn't suprise me you got that low. I had a 98 f-150 w the 4.6L and towing a simple 2 place enclosed snowmobile trailer (1600 lbs) I would only get 6-8 mpg. I went to a 01 5.4L and got 13 mpg, and now I got an f-350 diesel and tow a bigger trailer and get 14mpg.

I pull my 2003 LS with my aviator, i pulled it from kentucky to maryland one trip, the only bad thing was my brakes were smoking once I hit WV and maryland because I didnt release braking while going down hill was a Very Bad thing.

No disrespect to anybody but I would never tow anything with my Aviator unless it was a extreme emergency !
If I wanted to tow I would have waited and brought a full size truck .

Now don't go chopping my head off

I tow all the time with my aviator, I average 10-12 mpg towing my 4200 lbs mark viii and a heavy 1800 lbs car trailer. Ive driven duramax 3/4 ton truck pulling the same thing same trailer thet didnt tow as good as the aviator. Mine is awd.

That Aviator can tow close to its rated 7300. I am basing this on it being the same set up as an Explorer. I know the 2 wheel drive can tow more though. I tow my race car in a full closed trailer loaded with spare parts and tools.

I'd be a little disappointed... The last time I kept track on my F150 was when I towed a Supra on my 16 foot car trailer. It was 75 miles unloaded, 75 miles loaded and I got 14mpg on the nose.

This was the main reason I upgraded to the Navigator. I had a Jeep Cherokee that I towed my Corvette with. It could handle it but it was not healthy for it at all. Navigator has no problems at all.

DSC04526.jpg

so I am trying to rent a 30 foot camper for 4th July, it weighs 7500lbs, my aviator is rated at 7100, will the 400lbs make a difference. I am only going 75 miles.

I have a 2004 Lincoln Aviator AWD Ultimate with Heavy duty tow package option.

I took my travel trailer out for the first time last weekend and figured that I would get about the same mileage as my old Silverado which was around 10-11mpg. Boy was I wrong. I managed to squeeze a whopping 8.3 mpg average out of my mostly flat land trip.

Is 8.3mpg typical towing mileage for the aviator? Anyone else tow with there aviator? My trailer is an 18ft weighing in at 3500#. I would also never believe that this vehicle could tow it's rated 7300# maybe down hill?!

I realize this is a dead thread but I felt this needed to be said. one of two things is going on either you have a problem with your aviator which is unlikely or it comes down to the fact that aerodynamically you are dragging the equivalent of a small house behind you which has the aerodynamic properties of a brick so you basically have a giant air brake being pulled along it has nothing to do with the mass of the trailer. so it's no real surprise that your fuel economy went to ****. my dad had the largest coleman fold-down camper available at the time and loaded up with everything it probably weighed 4000lbs but his 1994 mazda b4000 and later 2004 ranger 4.0 v6 never had a problem pulling it but it wasn't a big upright box and that probably made a big difference.

Members online

No members online now.
Back