Custom Lincoln LS Turbo

Shiloh

LVC Member
Reaction score
Finally, there is now a custom BDT, Belt Drive Turbo, specifically designed for the Lincoln LS. This is simply an awesome piece of equipment designed by Thomas (Geoff) Knight of ATS Turbo. The prototypes were fitted and tested on my car WISPER, a 2005 LS V6. They are amazingly simple in design, troublefree, weighs less than 20lbs., 80 plus horsepower at 6PSI.
Contact me for complete kit info, prices, ect. Shiloh66@Localnet.Com

Shiloh - great news on the V6 - I was speaking with Geoff last night.

Have you been to the dyno yet?

Explain a little more about the kit:
- fuel system - injectors and pump?
- tuning?

That is my setup.

As I posted in my SC thread - Geoff and I are working on the kitting details now.

Ls Bdt

Quik LS, As you spoke with Geoff; I am sure he filled you in. I will email you the describtion he and I have put together. A web site soley for the LS BDT is in developement. We have not been on the Dyno yet but you know Geoff does not pick #' out of the air.

The fuel system stays stock with the addition of one 30lb injector and a custom pressure switch. No ECU mods are needed as it will pick uo changes from the Oxygen sensor and adjust the fuel ratio through the stock injectors. The additional 30lb injector is controlled by the custom pressure switch. Boost is adjustable 1 - 7 PSI however the unit will run up to 14 - 16 PSI. At the higher boost rates, owners must upgrade the internals of their engines or there is a chance of BOOM. We are looking at 60 - 75 HP from the 30 lb and an additional 10 - 20 from the stock injectors.

We are very excited about the BDT, not just for myself but for all the LS owners who have looked in vain for aftermarket performance products. A similiar BDT, produced by Geoff, is available for Dodge Magnuns thru Mopar Performance and has been very successful. You know what you went thru with the very first supercharger that you and Geoff put together. Now LS owners will be able to buy the complete kit, and I mean complete, with installation taking abouts 3 hours. I know as I have bolted prototypes on my engine multiple times. The BDT is sweet, simple and very effective
Complete describtions are available by contacting me at
shiloh66@localnet.com

I have great respect for Geoff - and like his work. From my own experience - be careful about suggesting numbers until you get there. There will always be a few 'challenges' to work through. The V6 is a tried and true platform and should be a lot less complicated than the V8 setup.

When you say
We are looking at 60 - 75 HP from the 30 lb and an additional 10 - 20 from the stock injectors.
what do you mean by that? only 20hp from the setup without swapping injectors?

IMHO - you will still need to tune it - seriously.

Are you personally distributing (selling) these?

I am very intrigued and a bit confused at the same time.

First of all let me say that my 2004 LS v6 would love to have some forced
induction sitting under the hood.

One thing I need some clarification on: isn't a "Belt Drive Turbo" more accurately described as a centrifugal supercharger? Since there is no turbine spinning with charge from exhaust it contains only a belt driven compressor. The unit does look like the typical turbo physically, but mechanically shouldn't it be called a supercharger? Is this just a difference in terminology associated with longitude?

Here is Thomas Knight's page: which pictures the typical unit.
http://www.boosthead.com/home.php

Right - like a vortech/Paxton type centrifugal supercharger.

Belt driven, creates boost in the housing, and is pre-throttle plate - so a 'belt driven turbo' is an accurrate mental image.

The difference here is - it looks like an actual inlet side of a turbo with the shaft gearing mechanizm drive by a belt system.

intro.jpg

As far as the numbers go, they are not mine, they are Geoff's. These are his estimates based upon his years of experience and results from BDT's developed for and installed on various Dodge Magnums, Cadillac CTS, Ford Mustang and others.

We will have WISPER on the Dyno very soon and will post all results.

Yes, I am distributing(Selling) the BDT's for the LS; our stand alone web site will be up and running very soon. There will also , hopefully, be another well respected vendor and LS advocate who will have the units available online.

Every BDT Geoff designs and builds whether for a V6, V8, Lincoln, Dodge or other is built to optimally perform for that specific engine. All are slightly different but the basic design remains true with them all.

QUIKLS you have, I believe, the one and only supecharger built for an LS which was built by Geoff and yourself, you are very familiar with both his work and high standards.

My main question is can the average DIY'er do it himself? I know that the work Lou put into the SC was enormous! Also, what type of technical support will Geoff provide for these kits?

These will be much simpler to install - basically you bolt in a new bracket and the unit sits in place of the stock airbox, add a belt and then route the output into the throttle body. You leave the manifold and stuff all in place.

Some of the things to work through will be the hydraulic fan, injectors, and tuning....

WOW!!!! this what I have been waiting for. I will just have to wait a little and see how this works out. Sure sounds great!

Sweet, good news today. Should get Lucy back tomorrow.

you will still need to tune it - seriously.

That is a BIG +1. The O2 sensor have nothing to do with WOT fueling in the LS or more of less any other modern EFI vehicle. The MAFS does. You will have to tune the car, not only in the MAF Transfer but also will be commanding your AFR's richer than stock in your base fuel table as well with a FI combination like this. The stocker MAFS will likely max out too so that will need to be swapped as well or at least install the LS electronics into a larger housing like from C&L and then tune it.

Sounds like a cool project. I seen some of the BDT's for the 3.0 Rangers a while back driven off the alternator pulley. Pretty innovative idea.

It is great to see you V6 guys finally get a bone thrown your way. ;)

My main question is can the average DIY'er do it himself? I know that the work Lou put into the SC was enormous! Also, what type of technical support will Geoff provide for these kits?

With the way the BDT's are designed they are MUCH easier to install than a roots supercharger is because you dig into the engine less. Much much less time needed. In fact I have seen allot of times where the BDT installation time would take less time than the average centrifugal s/c time due to it having more of its components mounted higher in the engine, namely the drive pulley for it.

Need more fuel?

Then just drill and tap a hole on the intake and add another injector! Yup, turbo dodge guys have been doing this for years, and it works well, too.

Then just drill and tap a hole on the intake and add another injector! Yup, turbo dodge guys have been doing this for years, and it works well, too.

that is very old school. We have come a long way now and can easily calculate the requirments, upsize to the proper injectors and then re-tune the PCM.

After the upsized injectors! And higher rate fuel pump and regulator. (was refering to the "extra" injector described in the kit).

Since Geoff started on the first T-bird before the SCT software was available - his only option was to use the extra secondary injectors at WOT (my Lotus does the same thing).

Now with the LS we have much better control over it - we can upgrade the fuel pump (or use a BAP), go with amlost any injector size and then re-calibrate the AFR and reflash the PCM.

It's all possible now - unfortunately - it was a little too late to help the popularity of the car back in the early days when the press about it was high and aftermarket companies where watching to see demand....

I remember the motor trend article on the '89 esprit turbo

As a high school student, was probably up there on the top fantasy list. Along with cheerleaders and the like:D :D :D I really wasn't aware that this had been in the works for so long. Is there a "programming pcm's for dummies" at the local wal-mart?

As you know we use the XCal or Livewire to upload tunes into our LSes. www.sctflash.com. Tuners sell their services by creating new 'tuned' PCM codes for your LS and you upload it via the unit.

There is also a Pro Racer package that is the same software the tuning companies use - but limited to a single vehicle. So it allows you all the control over the car - via the PCM software.

There is some good coarse that you can take - http://www.calibratedsuccess.com/ where is teaches the tuning and talks about the SCT software specifically. He also has a book that is a 'starter' type book -> http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/webpage.cfm?DID=6&WebPage_ID=4

As you know we use the XCal or Livewire to upload tunes into our LSes. www.sctflash.com. Tuners sell their services by creating new 'tuned' PCM codes for your LS and you upload it via the unit.

There is also a Pro Racer package that is the same software the tuning companies use - but limited to a single vehicle. So it allows you all the control over the car - via the PCM software.

There is some good coarse that you can take - http://www.calibratedsuccess.com/ where is teaches the tuning and talks about the SCT software specifically. He also has a book that is a 'starter' type book -> http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/webpage.cfm?DID=6&WebPage_ID=4

The Pro Racer's Package Advantage software allows you access to allot of the vehicle tuning but not full access. It usually allows enough access where you can tune most cars with it and be more or less fine though. The PRP user's start off with the Professional user level access to the software but if you were to become a full dealer and took the regular and advanced gasoline EFI classes offered by SCT then you can request calibrator level which is full custom tuning access too all area's of the PCM; especially the TBW for cars with it. There are further levels beyond that but they are reserved more or less for SCT in-house employee's.

Those tuning courses will help allot. I would suggest if a person were serious about learning how to custom tune that they buy a PRP, get on the SCT forums in the PRP section and just read read read for a while to learn a bit. Then also pick up the SCT tuning handbook as well as the Don Lasota CD's. Once you have done this you will hopefully have built a somewhat solid foundation of knowledge to start with. Then go to the class and fill in the blanks. It takes allot of dedication to learn to be a good tuner but with the right motivation it is doable. I suggest you be good at mathematics too. ;)

I didn't see any confirmation of it working for the V8? Is there going to be a kit for the V8? And does this mean that we can get 350+ HP without having to use NOS?

Members online

Back