Took the Mark to the track

BlntdEyez

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Well i just got home from the track and I got beat by an LS :mad:. He beat me off the line but I had a better qtr. mile time. I ran a 15.42 he ran a 15.62. I was pulling on him hard towards the end but there wasn't enough room to take him. Any tips to improve this time? I wanna take it out next weekend and see what I do? Any help would be appreciated.

Well definitely practice on the tree - better reaction times will have had him beat. Post up your slip so we can see where you were strong and weak. Did you hook up well? What was your 60' etc....

They weren't printing slips. but i was launching off idle and not spinning at all. if i would've had a better R/T I would've definately had him. I'm gonna go back this weekend and see if i can get a timeslip. they did'nt even start putting up times until my second run. ran a z28 the first time kept with him pretty good but same thing he got me off the tree.

Take a few pounds of air pressure out of your rear tires and put a few pounds in the front. I run my fronts at 40 lbs and my rears at 25 lbs. Experiment with them to see what works best for your. The increased pressure in the front reduces rolling resistance and the lower pressure out back helps you get traction.

I've never been in a Mark VIII where launching at 1500 would not cause you to blow off the tires. Heck I have problems at the track blowing out the tires in my 98 from idle rolling into the throttle.

try launching at 1000 rpm that works good for me just at regular stop lights.... but then again after a year and a half my trans was junk :)

You have to experiment with your own car to see how to get the best launch out of it. Try launching at different RPM every time and see how it reacts.

I launch at about 1200rpm for best results with my car, I'm at 5320' track altitude with 255mm rear tires. So closer to sea level and with smaller tires you might not be able to launch like that. Of course your track might have better prep than mine and you might be able to launch harder.

Go practice.

The first race against the camaro i had my OD off but the second time agasint the LS i forgot to turn it off. They are having a test and tune this friday for 25 dollars so i might go out there and try a few things.

I've never been in a Mark VIII where launching at 1500 would not cause you to blow off the tires. Heck I have problems at the track blowing out the tires in my 98 from idle rolling into the throttle.

You need to go to a better prepped track.

My best times came with the air filter removed and the engine cooled down as much as possible leaving at 1500 rpm's with the OD and traction control off and letting the car shift for itself. Car ran a 14.651 at 97.21 that way. Only thing done to the car was a removed air silencer. With a few more runs the times would have come down, but it was too busy and I only got 2 runs in. Rich should be able to duplicate the times if he goes to the track when the temps are good.

From what i was reading everyone was saying with the stock converter it was better to launch off idle.

My father has a LS, I don't like them very much. I respect them for wearing a Lincoln badge but Lincoln sold out when they made them to go after BMW according to an article I read back in '97. They look just like the old BMW's, too. I raced a mid-nineties limited edition Impala SS in my pearl white '94 Mark I had back in 2000 & even though he hit the gas first I still jumped on him & once 2nd gear kicked in I pulled off at least 3 car lengths from him & he never caught up, especially when we came up to 2 curves of 45 degrees each on the street we were on. In another instance in my first Mark VIII which was a '94 also (emerald green), I took on a modified Toyota Supra on the highway & we were tit for tat through very light traffic around 2am til my governor kicked in at 130 & he faded on me at that point...I was sick. Frickin' governors!!!

ive launched off idle before. didnt blow them off. ive also loaded to about 1500 and it spun.

i have yet to pull a decent 60. my best is a 2.29 on the 14.66 run.

I normally, launch at about 1800, right at the very tip of the stall, and I spin about 1 in every 4 runs. and go figure my best runs have been the runs that i spin.

Spinning can get you to the power rpms faster, but its normally not the best for times. Spinning with traction can work...

Both your cars have room to improve.

The LS has good track traction for the most part, its weighted well on the rear wheels and will take less skill to launch because of this. The LS has a gearing advantage also so it will give you the best fight to the 1/8th mile.

My best run so far is a 14.8 @ 94, Ive got a few things done to it though,

factory-tech shift kit,
LMS MAF

Also Ive heard that my time slips show that Im lackin on the top end, which means not enough fuel, so im going back on tuesday with a new toy, *255lph fuel pump* :) :)

It's all practice practice practice. I went to the track twice in three days, and made 23 passes in that time. With that amount of practice back-to-back, you'll definitely be "tree-ing" the other guys. :) I had a .018, a .021, and a couple .03x reaction times. Needless to say, that was enough to help me take out some cars that were significantly faster and more powerful than my heap. :)

No mods necessary, just the "driver" mod! :)

Paul.

It's all practice practice practice. I went to the track twice in three days, and made 23 passes in that time. With that amount of practice back-to-back, you'll definitely be "tree-ing" the other guys. :) I had a .018, a .021, and a couple .03x reaction times. Needless to say, that was enough to help me take out some cars that were significantly faster and more powerful than my heap. :)

No mods necessary, just the "driver" mod! :)

Paul.

im not interested in braket racing. ive been doing that for 9 years now.

From what i was reading everyone was saying with the stock converter it was better to launch off idle.

For me it wasn't, it was .3 slower, but the track was very well prepped as they used a lot of traction compound.

I would think if he didnt spin the tires to lauch just off idle to flash the convertor.If your tires spin a little that is perfect.If they spin a lot more than take out air (around 25psi--a quick dry hop to see if the tires contact patch to the road is not altered---if the patch is cupped or no patch in the middle than ad more air and opposite if too much).Take out all weigh, filter out and ice down the intake and roll the car up by hand.Let us all know, im sure you can get around a 14.6.
OLD SCHOOL TECHNIQUES ON NEW SCHOOL - SO COOL

Members online

No members online now.
Back