Royal Purple or Mobil 1

Jafeb

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi..

I went to buy Mobil 1 for my oil change & I noticed the store was selling Royal Purple... Has anyone use Royal Purple before? Should I stay with Mobil 1?

+1 w/ Sal

I've used both.. But IMO I "think" my car performed better w/ RP. I won a case of it back in the day and while using it, my car ran smoother & better MPG. The only factor is the $/qt.

+1 w/ Sal

I've used both.. But IMO I "think" my car performed better w/ RP. I won a case of it back in the day and while using it, my car ran smoother & better MPG. The only factor is the $/qt.

Your car ran smoother with royal purple?? Hmmm. Like Sal329 said, thier both great oils. I use Mobile1 myself.

Royal Purple is superior to Mobil 1, and this is coming from a diehard Mobil 1 user.

But it's like comparing the world's largest diamond to the world's heaviest gold nugget. Either way you go, you're going to be way ahead of adequate.

Jaf, do some research on their websites.. GO to RP and look at some info about it.. Why not try it out one or two times and see where you stand. Like I said, I was mobil 1 and after going w/ RP I was hooked. Either one is going to get you where you need.

It all comes down to $$.. Mobil ~$5-6 RP~$6-7. so you'll pay ~$10 more per oil change. Not to bad, but then again, $10 is $10

Liquid of the Gods.
amo_qt_300pxh.jpg

Oh, Im sorry, I though this was a thread about Mobile one or Royal Purple. :) hehe

These are NOT formula 1 cars, any decent synthetic would be ideal. I think it would take, what, 200k of usage to really see who comes out on top?

It does come down to $$$. Thats why I use BMW synthetic oil... I charge extra qts to the used car dept and I reap the benefits =)

I use Mobil 1 and its just fine. Like said before, any synthetic will probably do you just fine. Hell, conventional or blended would be fine with proper change intervals, but spending a few extra bucks for a better oil is fine with me.

For me, $10 an oil change is $10 a year. For me, it's more where I can go and get the oil from, read: availability

I remeber hearing about the cotreversy about where Mobil 1 was getting its base stock from. Something about it not being group 1.

When i get my Lincoln going it will probably get all amsoil, because it is availiable localy. I doubt I would put more than 5000 miles on a year though.

The Royal Purple XPR (not regular RP) is really good stuff, it's more expensive also. Overall I still think Amsoil and Redline are superior to RP or Mobil 1. Unless you can find the discontinued Mobil 1 Racing 0w-30, I would take that over any other oil.

I use Mobil 1 15,000 mile, but I do change it every 4-5,000 (when the car was still running.)

I still haven't taken the old engine apart, but when I do i'll grab up some pics to see how clean (or dirty) it is! :D

Is there anything (besides physically taken the engine apart) that could flush out the old oil? I know regular oil changes, but anything to clean out oil build up (if any). You guys know what I'm talkin about..

for those who want to know
BMW Synthetic is Castrol oil sourced.

FYI,thats all.

Yes but according to BMW they add "BMW" addiditive to help against break down. That is why the cars go 15k before an oil change is due.:D
I've been selling BMW parts for 7years and I still do not believe their oil change intervals but hell it's free synthetic oil.

IMO - 3000 mile changes regardless of the oil. Why? Simple. The filter. I dont trust filters for more then 3k.

It was Ford itself that found that the additives in oil really don't become very active until 1000 miles into the oil change. The oil filter should be fine past 3000 so long as your engine isn't a total shatpile.

Even when I had a standard oil filter, my UOA's at 5000 miles were better than good. I usually do 7000 now with my current dual Baldwin setup, and my UOAs are stupid good. As for that 15k stuff? I don't know. There are a few people on BITOG who have done 9-10k miles and gotten decent UOAs, but I honestly have never seen a UOA from a 15k oil change on a gasoline engine.

With my bypass filtration system, I should be able to do that without a sweat at all, but at that point, I worry more about the additive package thinning out than anything. You can certainly keep oil clean for 15k, but the additives package holding up? That's another story completely.

Is there anything (besides physically taken the engine apart) that could flush out the old oil? I know regular oil changes, but anything to clean out oil build up (if any). You guys know what I'm talkin about..

Look into Auto-Rx... works really well.

Yeah, Auto-RX is the stuff. There are a numerous people on BITOG who have restored compression to dead cylinders using that stuff. Very very interesting stuff.

Adding a quart of ATF in with your next oil change will help clean most of everything out also. Wouldn't recommend it for a very high mileage motor though.

Members online

Back