Gen 2 Timing Cover and Timing Upgrade

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My 2004 V8 has 269,000 miles on it and is running great after a rebuilt transmission and a number of various repairs and upgrades, e.g. cooling system, suspension, etc. I need to do the rear UCA's but will start a separate thread for that.

I have a steady oil leak that is coming from the front cover and/or front seal that appears to be getting worse...several drops every time I drive it end up on the driveway. So, I have been studying how to do this job. Joegr suggested that while I have the front cover off, it might be worth it to replace the timing chains, guides and tensioners. There are quite a few videos on timing chain upgrades, predominantly, if not exclusively on the Gen 1 LS and early 2000s Jags.

I have begun to generate a list of parts and have a few questions. Would a 2004 LS (AJ35) have the "silent timing chains" or the roller type? I can't seem to source the replacement bolts for the camshaft sprocket. The manual says to replace with new. Maybe just loctite them in?

I have looked at several different vendors for parts, some have full kits and others, e.g. Fordpartsgiant only has one primary and one secondary timing chain. I'm am a bit nervous going with aftermarket chains and tensioners.

Does anyone have any experience with this vendor? Major Timing Kit HTK200M ; Aston Martin, Lincoln, Jaguar, Ford ; Vantage - LS - XK8 - XKR - XJ8 - XJR - S-Type - Vanden Plas - XF - Thunderbird

I'm sure I will have more questions and/or am missing something but this is a start.

aj35 uses the silent primary chain roller secondary like all other jag v8s built after august 2001

slap that ebay guide and tensioner set on it call it a day. if you want i can give you the link to the genuine parts

aj35 uses the silent primary chain roller secondary like all other jag v8s built after august 2001

slap that ebay guide and tensioner set on it call it a day. if you want i can give you the link to the genuine parts
Thanks, which "ebay guide and tensioner" do you mean, this one?

If you have a link to the genuine parts, that would be great.

Thanks, which "ebay guide and tensioner" do you mean, this one?

If you have a link to the genuine parts, that would be great.
put jaguar v8 timing chain into ebay and find the cheapest kit. then find the seals and you’ll have all the cheap parts they throw these kits together with

parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com

use xj 2003-2009, then copy and paste to see if a local dealer has a sale on some parts

Members online

No members online now.
Back