PCM Replacement

balboa454

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 1998 Mark VII LSC and it looks like after a few years of intermittent crank/no start I need to replace the PCM. I am reading horror stories online about companies that sell VIN matched replacements. Can anyone recommend a reputable place for me to purchase from?

Thank you

Intermittent crank/no start with the anti theft light flashing?

Intermittent crank/no start with the anti theft light flashing?
Yes it flashes but it normally flashes anyway if I remember correctly. Changed out the crank sensor and that didn't help. One thing I noticed is that the chime will ring if the key is in the ignition and the car will start. If it doesn't chime then they car will not start. My starter died last week so I have to deal with that as well.

I had intermittent crank/no start with my 97 the first several weeks I had it. Flashing theft light I don't remember about the chime. 2 things I found. I had a second lincoln chipped key on my key ring. Removed it, cured. Lol well almost, one other thing if I park against the building the side with the refrigeration on it at the local Wawa it will do it too. So i keep the key seperate, and dont park there and over 5 years now it has never done it again, before was 1 out of 3 starts would be crank/no start. I also read someone saying if he kept his key in same pocket as his magnetic swipe card his would no start.

Last edited:
That's definitely strange. I've not encountered anything like that. I had the car towed once. The second it got off the tow truck it started up and the mechanic couldn't find out the problem (dealer). They had the car for a week and it always started. I drove it home. The next morning it would not start. Sometimes if I just let it sit for a day or more it will start. You simply cannot have a car that acts like that.

If your stuck in that no start. From off position turn the key to run postion without hitting start. Let it sit in the run position 2 or 3 minutes. Then turn to off and without removing the key turn start. Should start if the problem is in yhe anti theft.

If your stuck in that no start. From off position turn the key to run postion without hitting start. Let it sit in the run position 2 or 3 minutes. Then turn to off and without removing the key turn start. Should start.
OK I will give that a try this week after I replace the starter. Thank you very much.

There was a lengthy post here that I read about the same issue. Come to find out the SCIL that is located on the passenger kick panel is the lock stock n barrel of the anti theft system among other things. After reading about issues like yours, I jumped on Ebay and bought one from racebronco2 in caly. There are 4 large harness connectors going into the SCIL, I would first try pulling each one and give each pin a good look for any sign of corrosion and run down the grounds for a cleaning as well. I'v not read where the PCM has anything to do with your intermittent start. There are 5 SCIL's on Ebay right now. Sure its a roll of the dice, but its all we can hope for.

There was a lengthy post here that I read about the same issue. Come to find out the SCIL that is located on the passenger kick panel is the lock stock n barrel of the anti theft system among other things. After reading about issues like yours, I jumped on Ebay and bought one from racebronco2 in caly. There are 4 large harness connectors going into the SCIL, I would first try pulling each one and give each pin a good look for any sign of corrosion and run down the grounds for a cleaning as well. I'v not read where the PCM has anything to do with your intermittent start. There are 5 SCIL's on Ebay right now. Sure its a roll of the dice, but its all we can hope for.
Thanks. The starter is supposed to be replaced tomorrow so I will check out the SCIL now. Where does the other end of these cables go to?

Between the 4 connectors, there are 90 pins. The SCIL stands for Steering Column Ignition Lighting. There are about 40 trouble codes that can come from the SCIL. The ones for starting issues would be B1342, ECU Defective, B1353, Ignition key in open circuit, B1360, Ignition Run/Acc Cicuit Open, B1364, Ignition start Circuit Open, B1600, PATS Ignition Key transponder signal is not recieved, B1601, PATS recieved incorrect key code from ignition key transponder, B1682, PATS is disabled, U1135, SCP Invalid or missing data for Ignition Switch/Starter. The big problem is when there are no DTC's to read of course and that is how the random start issue usually pops up from what Iv read so far. As you can see if the SCIL turns out to not be the problem, the next place to look is at the PATS system. Thats the Key and alarm security lock out system the car uses in its anti theft. I believe Rapple was describing a wonky PATS quirk that he was working around. Iv never had my SCIL out but I would assume the connectors pretty much all go into the main harness stream behind the glove box. If you go to buy another SCIL, just make sure it has the same PN as yours. I thinks its a P&P situation with it but I could be wrong since its been a while since I read the write up on it fixing the guys starting issue. If you have any questions about this module, Shoot this guy a question. He is exceptionally knowledgeable about these MK8's, I got mine from him a while back.

U7Jt9NIl.jpg

Between the 4 connectors, there are 90 pins. The SCIL stands for Steering Column Ignition Lighting. There are about 40 trouble codes that can come from the SCIL. The ones for starting issues would be B1342, ECU Defective, B1353, Ignition key in open circuit, B1360, Ignition Run/Acc Cicuit Open, B1364, Ignition start Circuit Open, B1600, PATS Ignition Key transponder signal is not recieved, B1601, PATS recieved incorrect key code from ignition key transponder, B1682, PATS is disabled, U1135, SCP Invalid or missing data for Ignition Switch/Starter. The big problem is when there are no DTC's to read of course and that is how the random start issue usually pops up from what Iv read so far. As you can see if the SCIL turns out to not be the problem, the next place to look is at the PATS system. Thats the Key and alarm security lock out system the car uses in its anti theft. I believe Rapple was describing a wonky PATS quirk that he was working around. Iv never had my SCIL out but I would assume the connectors pretty much all go into the main harness stream behind the glove box. If you go to buy another SCIL, just make sure it has the same PN as yours. I thinks its a P&P situation with it but I could be wrong since its been a while since I read the write up on it fixing the guys starting issue. If you have any questions about this module, Shoot this guy a question. He is exceptionally knowledgeable about these MK8's, I got mine from him a while back.

View attachment 828577166
Thanks. I remember I had a P0605 error code at one point when it was checked.

Members online

No members online now.
Back