Rear Lower control arm bushing press adapter?

BDog21

LVC Member
Reaction score
so im trying to do these rear lower control arm bushings (the one at the knuckle) and ive so far got one side pressed out, and the new one pressed *most* of the way in. Ive got it pressed to where the outer case stops, which is where my press is pushing against, but the only adapter i can find that will fit around the rubber, does not fit into the hole in the control arm, so it stops before its all the way in. any of you guys that have tackled this job, what did you use, or where did you get the adapter that fit inside that hole in the control arm, but also was big enough to fit around the rubber of the bushing? ive read tons of posts on here talking about it, but nobody ever says exactly what they used, or what kit it came out of exactly, or where they got it.

Keep in mind that you want a plate that will only catch the outer sleeve of the bushing on one side... and a piece of pipe that will catch the control arm hole on the other side, but still allow the bushing sleeve to pass through the pipe.

I made my own adapter out of the sleeve from the old bushing before I decided to scrap the whole thing because I couldn't replace the other two bushings. IIRC the Moog replacement bushing I used came oversized by .007 This was the difference in diameter between the old and new bushings measured with a micrometer and after turning off the extra .007 I still had a .002 interference fit. Wouldn't hurt to verify the size so you don't over stress the control arm and maybe cause a failure.

Just go to Rockauto and order them ...they have quite a few wholesale closeout parts dirt cheap ...you're over thinking this

BDog,

As an afterthought... it may have helped to throw the bushing in the freezer overnight... and left the contol arm at "room temp" in the house.

Just go to Rockauto and order them ...they have quite a few wholesale closeout parts dirt cheap ...you're over thinking this

Not exactly. If he could get this done... he would only have the cost of 6 bushings... for easily less than half the cost of a Moog or AC Delco contol arm from RA.

Members online

No members online now.
Back