Lincoln LS Transmission Reprogram

chris bange

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to help any other proud owners of their Lincoln LS V8 if they are having the same issue I had with my transmission shifting ERRATICALLY..

It was so bad to the point it was throwing the car into etc engine failsafe mode within a 20 min drive! I was experiencing the car not being able to make up its mind on which gear it should be in. The car would start STUTTERING between gears and also couldve been it completely disengageing for a breif moment. This would mostly happen when I was part throttle rolling down the road. This only started happening after the car sat for a month and the battery had died completely. So keep in mind when your battery dies the engine and trans have to relearn the fuel trim+shift points. (Dont drive like a jack wagon in their sick lincoln ls right after yoy got it running again)

Although its only been 50 miles or so since the car was reprogrammed. It seems this has completely fixed by reprograming the transmission.

This is the 3 step process I used to reprogram the transmission
1* start the car
2* hold down the accelerator for 5 seconds
3* keep your foot on the gas and turn the ignition key to the off position. Then release your foot off the pedal and wait atleast 2 minutes.

Heres another thread explaing the same reprogramming process
03 and up LS guys

Screenshot_20210128-152143_Gallery.jpg

I don't know any way that the transmission can cause ETC failsafe. Are you certain that it said ETC failsafe? Transmission issues can cause some FEM modes that may seem similar to Electronic Throttle Failsafe mode.

We've been through this one before. Your transmission is having serious mechanical problems, or the adaptation reset wouldn't make that much difference. Your problems will be back. Sorry.

And in the first place... you got the first step wrong.

If you read the thread... it says to turn the key to the "run" position... NOT start the vehicle.

I reset mone a while back and didnt notice much difference at all ... but then i remebered that id had the battery out for a couple days before getting s new one, before i even got it legal. So from my understanding the tcu wouldve reset from lack of battery. Duh moment for me. Haha

If you read the thread... it says to turn the key to the "run" position... NOT start the vehicle.
it really did work though and has shown no problems so far. I can feel the shifting is much sharper and hasnt showed any sign of hesitation. Trust me i feel like its too good to be true also but ill keep the forum posted for the next week or so on the condition.. It may work either way because someone else also mentioned in the linked thread that they had their car running and they had results from it. I never believed the etc failsafe mode could be triggered that way either but I could force it to go into the failsafe mode by modulating the throttle and causing the weird shifting. I will mind you though because I do have a inconsistent misfire because of a bad valve cover gasket im replacing thursday.

I don't know any way that the transmission can cause ETC failsafe. Are you certain that it said ETC failsafe? Transmission issues can cause some FEM modes that may seem similar to Electronic Throttle Failsafe mode.

We've been through this one before. Your transmission is having serious mechanical problems, or the adaptation reset wouldn't make that much difference. Your problems will be back. Sorry.

It definitely was in etc failsafe and could force it into etc failsafe by modulating the throttle. I also read my codes and didnt see anything but the etc failsafe mode p2106. like I said it seems to good to be true and was prepared to bite the bullet but figured try this first and pray. Plus as I mentioned already the car did sit for a month and I assume it never got the chance to learn the shift points properly. Ive read alot of your threads and comments though for a while now and highly respect your knowledge on this. In my other reply I mentioned a inconsistent misfire ive been having from a leaky valve cover gasket and very well could be the more likely culprit for the engine failsafe mode. Im replacing the valve cover gasket, coils and plugs this thursday and will keep yall posted on my progress or dissapointment:):(

I just want to mention I dont want to leave any LVC members astray with hearsay. I will keep posted on this and am really invested in finding the true source of this problem. So far reprogramming the transmission has shown me great results but it has only been a single day and about 80 miles. Let me mention this problem would occur every time I drove the car for the last week. If somehow this fix isnt short lived I want it to be known so maybe you can save some money with a big headache like this one.

Gotcha ummmmm yeah you are indeed right BUT i really do feel a difference :confused:
"Turn ignition to ON. I don't know if this will be Accessories or full on RUN (without starting) position. It seems to vary."

While I cannot verify that this proceedure works or not... by the steps mentioned in the linked thread... the key would need to be in the "run" position, (all lights on the dashboard lit up... without the vehicle running).

Otherwise there would be no power or signal running through the gas pedal to make this proceedure work.

Either way... you don't want to start or shut off the vehicle with the gas pedal mashed to the floor like you are suggesting.

...I could force it to go into the failsafe mode by modulating the throttle and causing the weird shifting. I will mind you though because I do have a inconsistent misfire because of a bad valve cover gasket im replacing thursday.

Okay, that's not anything with the transmission causing the ETC failsafe. That's being caused by marginal coils, which is well established for this car. Just replacing the valve cover gaskets won't resolve this. You'll also have to replace the coils and the plugs. I would fix this problem before chasing after the transmission.

And do yourself a favor and replace BOTH valve cover gaskets. Plus there is a specific torque sequence for the bolts... and a specific torque value,(number) for the bolts.

If you don't do it right... your NEW valve cover gaskets will end up leaking too.

And do yourself a favor and replace BOTH valve cover gaskets. Plus there is a specific torque sequence for the bolts... and a specific torque value,(number) for the bolts.

If you don't do it right... your NEW valve cover gaskets will end up leaking too.
And he can get a really good deal on the whole new valve cover that comes with the OEM gaskets!
Gen 2 LS V8 Valve Covers Low Price

Okay, that's not anything with the transmission causing the ETC failsafe. That's being caused by marginal coils, which is well established for this car. Just replacing the valve cover gaskets won't resolve this. You'll also have to replace the coils and the plugs. I would fix this problem before chasing after the transmission.
Ive got all the parts coils plugs and the gasket arriving tomorrow! The car is still shifting nicely for the time being also

Wow thanks for that! My only question is which one do i get i see 4 links on your thread
What year car do you have? If you have a Gen 2 V8 use the first post I made. I linked two places to buy it and one of them does not have sales tax or atleast did not for me. If you have a Gen 1 V8 use the part numbers in my 2nd post on that thread.

Last edited:
Just me over here hoping my 06 LS will never have transmission problems cause as of now its shifts like an absolute DREAM! you cant even feel the shifts they are that crisp, smooth and clean! My 05 had 123k miles when I sold it and I wasn't any easy on that transmission and it still shifted like a dream. I'm hoping and thinking I got lucky with these two LS's. But then again its is an LS and ANYTHING on this car can change in a second but my 05 was very good to me and I'm thinking the 06 will be good to me too!

Just me over here hoping my 06 LS will never have transmission problems cause as of now its shifts like an absolute DREAM! you cant even feel the shifts they are that crisp, smooth and clean! My 05 had 123k miles when I sold it and I wasn't any easy on that transmission and it still shifted like a dream. I'm hoping and thinking I got lucky with these two LS's. But then again its is an LS and ANYTHING on this car can change in a second but my 05 was very good to me and I'm thinking the 06 will be good to me too!
Honestly, you should have much better luck the newer you go with the LS! I think you will be fine long as you do the stuff needed when the time is right!

What year car do you have? If you have a Gen 2 V8 use the first post I made. I linked two places to buy it and one of them does not have sales tax or atleast did not for me. If you have a Gen 1 V8 use the part numbers in my 2nd post on that thread.
gen 2 04 lincoln ls v8

I’ve had my transmission rebuilt about a year ago only put about 1500 miles on it and got the notorious E again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back