I need suspension advice

Josh Ells

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I got a 2002 ls8 and almost the whole suspension needs a redo (bushings, shocks, ect.). So I'm wondering the best way to go about getting parts price wise?? I've seen some suspension kits from trq just doing a google search but not much else other than individual parts from oem suppliers which are $$$ and don't always have everything. The trq kits seem cheap so im not so sure to trust it. Anyone used their parts before?

OEM parts are the best way to go... if they are still available. They are getting hard to find though, without getting splinters digging through the internet.

Most aftermarket stuff is made cheap and doesn't hold up long term. Moog or AC/Delco are decent... even though most of their parts are no longer made domestically.

Price is definitely a factor when buying suspension parts for the LS. The old saying "you get what you pay for" definitely holds true.

You can buy cheap parts and have to replace them every 50k miles... or buy OEM and not have to worry about it for 150k miles.

I'm getting all my stuff from rock Auto, going with kyb struts and Moog other parts, people here say kyb aren't any good but the original motorcraft stuff does not exist anymore and everyone else that doesn't have a Lincoln LS says kyb is the way to go, I'm gonna try it, they're only 50 bucks each. I haven't really found any other options though.

I haven't really found any other options though.

The Lincoln LS uses the same parts as certain specific years of the Jaguar S-Type... and that opens up options to use Bilstein shocks... with 2 preferences of ride firmness.

It all depends on your driving style, and how long you plan on keeping your LS.

The Lincoln LS uses the same parts as certain specific years of the Jaguar S-Type... and that opens up options to use Bilstein shocks... with 2 preferences of ride firmness.

It all depends on your driving style, and how long you plan on keeping your LS.
I'm going with KYB cuz I can change them myself and they're cheap, so even if they do suck or don't last long it's not a big deal as if I paid some mechanic 500 bucks labor to change them, then if they suck maybe I'll try the Jag conversion in a year or two.

I changed the coilover shocks on my LS also. There is some minor conversion needed to do on the front, but it's not that big of a deal. Don't know the milage on your LS.... but if over 130k, the springs are probably worn out too. If you live in the rust belt part of the U.S. , the bottom left spring is probably ready to break... if it hasn't already.

For $300 per corner you can do the Jag conversion... and have a fun car to drive that handles better than the origial LS suspension.

I'm at 160k, just bought it a couple months ago, I'm gonna do all 4 corners for $220 total, might regret it but I'm confident it'll be good enough and last a few years at least. I don't have an extra $1,200 right now, but I'll keep the Jag stuff in mind. Thanks.

Sounds like your mind is made up. Maybe your thread title should have said "I don't need suspension advice".
actually this ain't my thread, I just popped in to tell him about the kyb and then we got off on a tangent, sorry, lol! But yes, my mind is made up this go around, I'm getting kyb 100% for sure. I kinda wanna try them, they got to be better than original ones with 160k on them I'd say, and if not I'm gonna find out and then I'll let ya know, ha!

FWIW...The Lincoln LS/LSE has a beautiful double wishbone suspension....you treat this good it will amaze you beyond any Sedan for the price tag

I changed the coilover shocks on my LS also. There is some minor conversion needed to do on the front, but it's not that big of a deal. Don't know the milage on your LS.... but if over 130k, the springs are probably worn out too. If you live in the rust belt part of the U.S. , the bottom left spring is probably ready to break... if it hasn't already.

For $300 per corner you can do the Jag conversion... and have a fun car to drive that handles better than the origial LS suspension.
Interesting note about the springs. Are you referring to the driver's side rear? I feel my car is sitting unevenly on my driver's side and springs are what came to mind. Can you shed more light on this based on your experience?

Yes... drivers rear spring. My theory is that due to the fact that most highway on ramps are hard curves to the right... that puts the most weight on the drivers rear spring, causing it to bend or break at the bottom tail of the spring.

Speculation... but I think its worse in the rust belt.

On top of that... once the spring tail does break... that puts more stress on the drivers rear lower control arm, which then causes the bushings in the control arm to wear faster.

When that happens, the symptom seems to be a squeak in the control arm cause the bushings are shot.

If you can find and afford OEM parts, that's always the best way to go but for my high mileage daily driver, I've used various after market suspension parts with good success. I have KYB shocks on the back with original coil springs. I've installed a number of different Mevotech Supreme parts in different places front and back. The lower control arms are especially nice. The front end links are Autozone brand and are much beefier than the Motorcraft replacements that failed. The Autozone endlinks have grease fittings as well. To me, the Autozones look just like a Moog part. I got the TRQ brand for those two rear diagonal links. Time will tell the true story on these parts but so far, so good and for my needs, I'm very satisfied.

Wow, ain't that the truth! I've been working on my cars since I was 15, I'm 73 now. The bogus parts includes tools and equipment as well. Working on my motorcycle I needed a deep well socket that I didn't have so I bought one at one of the big box stores. Socket split as soon as I put any torque on it. I guess nobody taught the Chinese about hydrogen embrittlement when you chrome steel. By the way, the new way of identifying sockets by laser etching the size on it is worthless! Unfortunately cars and motorcycles get greasy and that hides the etching when you're working on something. In the old days the stamped numbers were still visible, dirty or not.

My first set of sockets purchased in 1965 are still usable although dinged up a bit. American made Husky sockets manufactured by New Britain Machine Company. Chinese stuff is junk. Trump had the right idea, bring manufacturing back to the USA. Send the MBAs and CEOs, who moved manufacturing offshore, to China

I still have the majority of my grandfathers tools from the 1940's. All MAC brand. Actually stamped "Mechanics Tool and Forge Company, Sabina Ohio". I have added to them considerably over the years... with much more MAC, and some SnapOn, Proto, SK, Stanley, Allen, and U.S. made Craftsman. Even the majority of specialty tools I have... are U.S. made. Same with my plumbing, carpentry, and power tools.

I will buy good used U.S. tools before I buy anything from Asian or countries South of the equator.

I still have the majority of my grandfathers tools from the 1940's. All MAC brand. Actually stamped "Mechanics Tool and Forge Company, Sabina Ohio". I have added to them considerably over the years... with much more MAC, and some SnapOn, Proto, SK, Stanley, Allen, and U.S. made Craftsman. Even the majority of specialty tools I have... are U.S. made. Same with my plumbing, carpentry, and power tools.

I will buy good used U.S. tools before I buy anything from Asian or countries South of the equator.
It doesnt get much better than real USA made crafstman tools!

Well actually it does... but it gets a lot more expensive. The "tool truck" tools used to be "top shelf"... but a lot of that is outsourced now.

That leaves SK, Wright, and Proto... but you better have a thick wallet.

Very little Craftsman stuff is made here anymore... and in the later years when Sears carried them... they started getting "picky" about the warranty.

Very little Craftsman stuff is made here anymore... and in the later years when Sears carried them... they started getting "picky" about the warranty.
Ya most of its china stuff now but the USA made crafstman tools were very good!

Members online

No members online now.
Back