Radiators

SultanGris

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What are you guys' thoughts on radiators? Can I get a cheap one and save 200 bucks or are there issues with those? Do these cars have just a radiator or is there a built-in cooler or just separate coolers?
2003 Lincoln LS v8, thanks

What are you guys' thoughts on radiators? Can I get a cheap one and save 200 bucks or are there issues with those? Do these cars have just a radiator or is there a built-in cooler or just separate coolers?
2003 Lincoln LS v8, thanks
I personally have used a TYC radiator and it never had any issues however I know on my previous 01 LS that it was changed on it was quite a beast of a job to do my mechanic said. So if the 03 is similar I would go with Motorcraft as it is gonna last more years IMHO. And on that same note, I used TYC for headlights and I won't do that again as one of the lights had issues soon after on being aligned. But I would assume it's a little easier being no hydraulic fan on the 03 but I try not to go on that alone as I know there are more changes.

Also rockauto I see lists 2 part numbers for motorcraft and I am not sure the difference I just know MOTORCRAFT NRAD25 is cheaper. Then I also see MOTORCRAFT RAD31 which they only have one left of for $102 more.

Last edited:
I've had no problems with aftermarket radiators on my LSes (strangely enough).
It's just a radiator. The transmission is cooled by an oil-to-air combination cooler between the radiator and the AC condenser. The power steering cooler is a separate section of this combination cooler. There is also an oil-to-water cooler, but it is external to the radiator. It's at the oil filter adapter.

The recommended procedure is to remove the radiator from the bottom of the car. I found that to not be too difficult, and it looks like doing it from above would be much harder. With the front wheels up on ramps, there was plenty of room to do it from the bottom. Just tilt the radiator slightly after it is most of the way down.

2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

Note that the whole manual is here: 2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual -- brought to you by Owlman

I personally have used a TYC radiator and it never had any issues however I know on my previous 01 LS that it was changed on it was quite a beast of a job to do my mechanic said. So if the 03 is similar I would go with Motorcraft as it is gonna last more years IMHO. And on that same note, I used TYC for headlights and I won't do that again as one of the lights had issues soon after on being aligned. But I would assume it's a little easier being no hydraulic fan on the 03 but I try not to go on that alone as I know there are more changes.

Also rockauto I see lists 2 part numbers for motorcraft and I am not sure the difference I just know MOTORCRAFT NRAD25 is cheaper. Then I also see MOTORCRAFT RAD31 which they only have one left of for $102 more.
I saw that too, on is motorcraft OEM and one is motorcraft service, which means somebody else made it but to motorcraft specifications I believe

I've had no problems with aftermarket radiators on my LSes (strangely enough).
It's just a radiator. The transmission is cooled by an oil-to-air combination cooler between the radiator and the AC condenser. The power steering cooler is a separate section of this combination cooler. There is also an oil-to-water cooler, but it is external to the radiator. It's at the oil filter adapter.

The recommended procedure is to remove the radiator from the bottom of the car. I found that to not be too difficult, and it looks like doing it from above would be much harder. With the front wheels up on ramps, there was plenty of room to do it from the bottom. Just tilt the radiator slightly after it is most of the way down.

2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

Note that the whole manual is here: 2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual -- brought to you by Owlman
thanks, I was going to ask you for the link to that whole thing, I've seen some useful information in the sections you posted so far but I could never find the beginning of it. Thank you.

I installed an aftermarket radiator in my 2003 LS this past October. It was an OSC brand purchased from Summit Racing. I installed it from the top but that was indeed difficult. Once I got it in, everything bolted up just like the OEM radiator. So far, so good. Don't know if it would have gone in from the underside but certainly worth the effort to find out for those seeking to replace their radiators. With the new radiator, my car's temp gauge is rock steady right in the middle. Well worth the effort and short money to replace.

I installed an aftermarket radiator in my 2003 LS this past October. It was an OSC brand purchased from Summit Racing. I installed it from the top but that was indeed difficult. Once I got it in, everything bolted up just like the OEM radiator. So far, so good. Don't know if it would have gone in from the underside but certainly worth the effort to find out for those seeking to replace their radiators. With the new radiator, my car's temp gauge is rock steady right in the middle. Well worth the effort and short money to replace.
what was hard about it? Looks like you pull these six bolts off here three on each side and it pulls right up! Lol
20210115_130424.jpg

Yeah, that's what I thought too. :D It's an LS, so nuthin's easy. You'll see. Put the car on ramps and try to get it out from the underside. It fought me the whole way out and back in from the top. It'll go in from the top for sure, you just have to practice some patience. Get yourself the longest 8mm ratching wrench you can find. My car is much happier with the new radiator so it was still worth the aggravation.

I replaced my 04's on May 26 2013 with a ToughOne brand unit from Advance Auto. After discount codes (I assume) it cost me just $108.49. This far, I've had no issues with it. I pulled it through the top and don't recall it being difficult.

I replaced my 04's on May 26 2013 with a ToughOne brand unit from Advance Auto. After discount codes (I assume) it cost me just $108.49. This far, I've had no issues with it. I pulled it through the top and don't recall it being difficult.
I think it was just more difficult on the gen 1 cause of the different style of the cooling fan.

I pulled mine from the bottom. I tried to go up but it wasn't happening. Even out the bottom it was a PITA job. Cover your fins with cardboard until you have it in place or you will bend some of them up. That's the best tip I can give you.

I pulled mine from the bottom. I tried to go up but it wasn't happening. Even out the bottom it was a PITA job. Cover your fins with cardboard until you have it in place or you will bend some of them up. That's the best tip I can give you.
That is a most excellent tip about the fins, I most assuredly wouldn't have thought of that till it was too late and definitely would have bent them. Thanks.

Members online

Back