03 LS V8 What brand differential oil should we use

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow I am dropping my car off for a transmission rebuild but was also going to have them change the fluid in the rear differential while they have it. What brand of oil should I request for them to use and do I need any additives. Was thinking of having them use Amsoil but not sure!

I just used valvoline synthetic 75w-140. I don't think the LS would need anything special since most of the time it's not under severe load. Can't go wrong with amsoil though

Any. It's a small open differential. Doesn't need anything special.

Any. It's a small open differential. Doesn't need anything special.
So I would be ok with the house brand they are using that is full synthetic? They said they charge $80 to do it including the fluid.

It's an easy DIY if u wanna save $50

$24 for 2 quarts of fluid and a $7 hand pump is all you need

It's an easy DIY if u wanna save $50

$24 for 2 quarts of fluid and a $7 hand pump is all you need

Was just gonna let them do it since they already have my car. Did not want to have to work on it soon as it came back. They are pros so much less will go wrong if I allow them to change the fluid! Next time around I will likely use the Amsoil though as it's only $50 for 2 quarts and likely do it myself.

Was just gonna let them do it since they already have my car. Did not want to have to work on it soon as it came back. They are pros so much less will go wrong if I allow them to change the fluid! Next time around I will likely use the Amsoil though as it's only $50 for 2 quarts and likely do it myself.
I went MotorCraft

Does the 2000 v8 take 75-90 or 75-140? Also going to change mine

All LS use the same diff oil. IIRC... the owners manual says 75w90... but either is just fine (and I have used both).

90 would be better for a colder climate and 140 would be better for a hotter climate.

As far as brand... I would recommend Mobil 1 synthetic.

I used Motorcraft xy-75w140-ql sae 75w-140 synthetic rear axle lubricant ordered from Amazon for around $35 a quart

I thought it was sealed and lifetime fluid in it? That's what it says on my 2001 getrag version.

Members online

No members online now.
Back