Check AIR RIDE message. '97 LSC

MKVIIILSC

LVC Member
Reaction score
One day my mkviii was all jacked up in front like a "tail dragger".
The fronts were very firm as it would really pound thru even a small bump.
I turned off the switch in the trunk but nothing changed.
I turned it back on and nothing changed except I heard the compressor come on once.
Took it to my mechanic but he doesn't have the proper scanner tool.
He bled the air out and got it back down to the bottom level. (kinda low)
Turned off switch and left it off.

Shall I take it to the dealer?
Any input would be welcome but I'm not ready for coils yet.

I turned it back on and nothing changed except I heard the compressor come on once.

No, It is supposed to pump up . Its not doing pumping because the rears are not inflated. Listen for a hummm off the compressor. There is a air ride warning on your dash too if its not pumping. Best thing likely is to replace the compressor.

No. I hear the compressor when it runs. It's fine. pumps fine. Recently replaced per/ PO.
The rears did not inflate correct. But the fronts OVER-inflated. I wish I'd have taken a picture.
The fronts never would deflate or trim. It was jacked WAY up in the front and stayed that way.
The front suspension was hard as a rock. The rear was normal.

Another question... Does the air system expel water as would be the case for all other air compressors, be it manually or automatically?

Here is the only coincidence I can recall. It happen when our weather turned cold or just below freezing.

Last edited:
No. I hear the compressor when it runs. It's fine. pumps fine. Recently replaced per/ PO.
The rears did not inflate correct. But the fronts OVER-inflated. I wish I'd have taken a picture.
The fronts never would deflate or trim. It was jacked WAY up in the front and stayed that way.
The front suspension was hard as a rock. The rear was normal.

Another question... Does the air system expel water as would be the case for all other air compressors, be it manually or automatically?

Here is the only coincidence I can recall. It happen when our weather turned cold or just below freezing.

I don't know enough beyond a compressor to help any more except being the compressor is not easy to reach, I feel it automatically pushes small amounts of water by itself. These no way I know to manually reach it to discharge water. Did the air ride work correctly after new compressor was done? I have a 96 mark undrivable because of my air ride. I have not given up .

Turn it back on and let it raise the front for about 5 seconds. Then turn off the trunk switch while it is still raising, to stop the compressor. Then measure the distance from tire to fender in the same spot on both sides. The side that is slightly higher will most likely have a defective height sensor.
To confirm unplug the sensor wire connector by the air strut on the side that is higher. Then turn on the suspension, if it doesn't continue to raise the car beyond normal height - its the sensor. If it continues to raise too high, turn off the switch again and reconnect the sensor. Then disconnect the sensor on the other side and turn the switch back on to confirm it does not rise beyond normal height. If it still raises it may be air suspension modules there is a grey and black one behind the passenger side kick panel.

I had the same issue and it was my front right sensor. No point changing the compressor. It only turns on when the sensor instructs it to.

Yes, have them tell you whats wrong and how much to be fixed. You can fix it yourself once a lincoln dealer tells you whats the problem Its worth 200.00 just to know. Then you cAN FIX IT

yES, A LINCOLN DEALER SHOULD BE ABLE TO SPOT THE TROUBLE AND GIVE YOU AN ESTIMATE. lABOR MAY COST 100 TO 200 BUT ITS WORTH IT SO YOU Can fix it yourself now thAT YOU KNOW.

Before going to the dealer complete the steps I listed above. They take little time, are easily and will likely confirm which sensor it is. FYI if do confirm which sensor it is and leave the suspension on, as it fixed the issue and no longer raises the front higher than normal, you will get a "check your air suspension" message, due to the unplugged sensor. Just turn it off. Turn it back on, once you replace the sensor.

Will do. Thanks!
I assume by "Just turn it off. Turn it back on," You mean the compressor. (not the message which I would just reset)

Do exactly what 91 LSC SE said. Guarantee you it’s a height sensor

Will do. Thanks!
I assume by "Just turn it off. Turn it back on," You mean the compressor. (not the message which I would just reset)
The switch in the trunk at the left quarter turns off air suspension

Members online

Back