Message center display screen

bjlmk8

LVC Member
Reaction score
95 mark viii display screen no longer working. I can still hear beeps while going through diagnostic sequence. Fuse 16&17 ok. I’ve also checked ground g103&g301. Car has done a lot of sitting with occasional battery drain and recharge, which preceded this issue. I would like do remove display for inspection and replacement, but not sure how to correctly go about taking that part of the dash apart. Searched hi & low for videos or diagrams with no results. A descriptive sequence on removal procedure would help. Thanks!

95 mark viii display screen no longer working. I can still hear beeps while going through diagnostic sequence. Fuse 16&17 ok. I’ve also checked ground g103&g301. Car has done a lot of sitting with occasional battery drain and recharge, which preceded this issue. I would like do remove display for inspection and replacement, but not sure how to correctly go about taking that part of the dash apart. Searched hi & low for videos or diagrams with no results. A descriptive sequence on removal procedure would help. Thanks!

just looked on my disc for a 96 which is almost the same. they want the left finish panel removed along with the light sw knob, the center finish panel and the then the instrument panel gives access to the display. while your that far in, you can pull the display switch panel. Suggest you look at solder joints on the display circuit panel, or just grab one from a salvage yard. it's a fluorescent display so the envelope is probably leaking/broken. but you never know.
don't forget to disconnect the battery, and give it five minutes as a air bag an hurt.

1. Pull the head light dial straight outward.
2. Then pull the light switch cover from the left outer side - it clips in. Be gentle 1. There is a short wire connected to this small panel to light it up. and 2. If you live in a cold state the plastic can be easily broken. I had to repair the plastic housing that holds the light bulb as it cracked with removing and not be gentle enough)
3. Then remove small bolts that hold the inner main panel that the small light one snaps into. 4. Then remove the small screws above the spedo/tack etc. on the underside of the dash. They go from under into the top of dash.
5. Then carefully pop out the panel starting from the left pulling from top and then the bottom clips working your way over to the display. Note, it is a bit tight at the steering column bottom, tilt the panel upward from the bottom to get by the column, and continue your way across to the display.
6. Remove for small bolts holding in the display.
7. Pop out the switch panel by pulling it up from the back (furthest from the buttons), (just clips in), if you cannot easily remove display. Again be gentle with the plastic.

2. Then pull the light switch cover from the left outer side - it clips in. Be gentle 1. There is a short wire connected to this small panel to light it up. and 2. If you live in a cold state the plastic can be easily broken. I had to repair the plastic housing that holds the light bulb as it cracked with removing and not be gentle enough)
3. Then remove small bolts that hold the inner main panel that the small light one snaps into. 4. Then remove the small screws above the spedo/tack etc. on the underside of the dash. They go from under into the top of dash.
5. Then carefully pop out the panel starting from the left pulling from top and then the bottom clips working your way over to the display. Note, it is a bit tight at the steering column bottom, tilt the panel upward from the bottom to get by the column, and continue your way across to the display.
7. Pop out the switch panel by pulling it up from the back (furthest from the buttons), (just clips in), if you cannot easily remove display. Again be gentle with the plastic.
Exactly so,

Thank you very much for this info. !
Purchased a tool kit for removing panel clips etc. hoping that will make job a little easier without breaking any panels. Will be posting update on progress and further help. I hope to for something simple and not have to replace the display. Looks like there’s a few to be purchased on eBay etc. but seems to be different year applications. I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it. Thanks again. B.L.

Members online

Back