Used Rear Knuckle or New Bearing?

nghtshd88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
One or both of my rear wheel bearings are totally gone. Hoping im able to pull them off the shaft first of all. But looking on ebay there are some pretty good looking low mileage knuckles for like $70, I believe gen 2 & 1 are the same? Is it worth getting a new bearing and having them pressed in? On all 4 corners my brake shields are rattling loose from the rivets just rusting off after 15yrs. Maybe easier/better to just try some good used ones?

Most importantly what size jaw puller/front end service kit is needed to pry them off? Maybe a wire brush & some pb blaster will help.

One or both of my rear wheel bearings are totally gone. Hoping im able to pull them off the shaft first of all. But looking on ebay there are some pretty good looking low mileage knuckles for like $70, I believe gen 2 & 1 are the same? Is it worth getting a new bearing and having them pressed in? On all 4 corners my brake shields are rattling loose from the rivets just rusting off after 15yrs. Maybe easier/better to just try some good used ones?

Most importantly what size jaw puller/front end service kit is needed to pry them off? Maybe a wire brush & some pb blaster will help.
Best you change out the wheel bearings ...the shields are a nice gesture by jaguar/Lincoln but not as effective as you may think

Wont hurt to change out your differential fluid...color will be a natural milky gray due to normal shavings

I added a bottle of Friction modifiers with the MotorCraft gear oil ...I can tell the difference

Wont hurt to change out your differential fluid...color will be a natural milky gray due to normal shavings

Isnt the drain or fill plug in a tricky place? Could have sworn with my 04 the subframe was in the way or something.

Nevermind I see you have to suck it out.

Only thought about used spindles as its just faster. Found a set under 80k miles for $150.

Still hoping the claw is able to get the spindle off in the first place..

Last edited:
Isnt the drain or fill plug in a tricky place? Could have sworn with my 04 the subframe was in the way or something.

Nevermind I see you have to suck it out.

Only thought about used spindles as its just faster. Found a set under 80k miles for $150.

Still hoping the claw is able to get the spindle off in the first place..
If you wanna do the work yourself because you feel better working on your car rather than relying on a shop I understand... but my LSE had 128,000 when the rear driver side bearing took a crap so it's always risk even at 80,000 miles ...point being if you replace the wheel bearing it should by all reason and logic give you another 150,000 miles if done right and quality parts used

If you wanna do the work yourself because you feel better working on your car rather than relying on a shop I understand... but my LSE had 128,000 when the rear driver side bearing took a crap so it's always risk even at 80,000 miles ...point being if you replace the wheel bearing it should by all reason and logic give you another 150,000 miles if done right and quality parts used

Another 150k miles lol. I will probably have rebuilt the entire car by then with obsolete parts.

Always feel better doing it myself then a shop.

I just ordered Timken bearings for $60 off rockauto. Rented a hub puller from autozone. If not can get the hyrdraulic claw to for sure get it off given the axles arent bad. Havent looked for a shop that can press the bearings off/on yet.

Members online

Back