Shutting off while driving

Tess

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Lincoln Continental that shut off while I was driving on the freeway. It was 97 degrees, late afternoon and I had been driving for about 25 miles when the AC shut off. Next the CD player went out and finally the dash lighting. Power steering was next. I was able to exit the freeway and park. The mechanic went out the next day and it started right up. I drove it the next day, approximately 15 miles and it shut down again. Alternator tested good as did the battery. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 2002 Lincoln Continental that shut off while I was driving on the freeway. It was 97 degrees, late afternoon and I had been driving for about 25 miles when the AC shut off. Next the CD player went out and finally the dash lighting. Power steering was next. I was able to exit the freeway and park. The mechanic went out the next day and it started right up. I drove it the next day, approximately 15 miles and it shut down again. Alternator tested good as did the battery. Any help would be appreciated.
Not sure if this will help but FWIW..."The Lincoln has three breakers side by side under the hood on the driver's side, and located back near the firewall. One of these gets hot and breaks the circuit. After a couple minutes it cools and again makes contact, so the car will start and operate normally until the breaker trips again. Recommend you replace all three. They are pretty cheap as I recall. Both I and a friend had this problem and replacing the breakers solved the problem. Good luck. Hope this helps."

Not sure if this will help but FWIW..."The Lincoln has three breakers side by side under the hood on the driver's side, and located back near the firewall. One of these gets hot and breaks the circuit. After a couple minutes it cools and again makes contact, so the car will start and operate normally until the breaker trips again. Recommend you replace all three. They are pretty cheap as I recall. Both I and a friend had this problem and replacing the breakers solved the problem. Good luck. Hope this helps."
Thank you! I will try it and let you know.

Two questions --
Did the mechanic use an analyzer/scanner to check for codes?
Did the AC really shut off or did the blower motor stop working?
Knowing this may help in tracing the problem to a particular circuit, power feed, or ground.

Almost sounds like it went into some sort of "protection mode".

Are you sure it wasn't running hot from low coolant... blown hose... etc. ?

Members online

No members online now.
Back