98 LSC misfire

298LSC

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
just purchased a 98 LSC on EBay. I live in Omaha purchased the car in Ohio. Drove to pick the car up this weekend. 700 mile trip! On the way home the car developed a misfire. For about 500 miles the check engine light was flashing. Bad miss around 40 to 60mph. Smoothed out around 80mph. I know driving with the CEL flashing is a no no but I had no choice. Being 500 miles away from home I couldn’t afford a tow so I drove it all the way home. My exhaust is not smoking nor to I have any foul smells. So I hope I didn’t damage the cats. Is there anything else I should look for besides a coil or plug??

just purchased a 98 LSC on EBay. I live in Omaha purchased the car in Ohio. Drove to pick the car up this weekend. 700 mile trip! On the way home the car developed a misfire. For about 500 miles the check engine light was flashing. Bad miss around 40 to 60mph. Smoothed out around 80mph. I know driving with the CEL flashing is a no no but I had no choice. Being 500 miles away from home I couldn’t afford a tow so I drove it all the way home. My exhaust is not smoking nor to I have any foul smells. So I hope I didn’t damage the cats. Is there anything else I should look for besides a coil or plug??

All of us at one time or another have that stick in your gut feeling when sudden engine failures present themselves, I wouldn't judge anyone...
A scanner should tell you which cylinder is misfiring, and if you didn't overheat it I'd only fix the miss and do an oil change in the event the misfire added fuel to the crankcase. I wouldn't drive it at all until the miss was found.

All of us at one time or another have that stick in your gut feeling when sudden engine failures present themselves, I wouldn't judge anyone...
A scanner should tell you which cylinder is misfiring, and if you didn't overheat it I'd only fix the miss and do an oil change in the event the misfire added fuel to the crankcase. I wouldn't drive it at all until the miss was found.
Temp never raised one bit. No smoke from exhaust at all. No smell, nothing. I was just worried because I drove it so long with the miss. I fired it up this am, it fired right up no smoke no nothing. I’ll find the miss and start with boot, then coil then plug. Appreciate the input I think I’m ok as far as cat failure or engine problems

Forgot to mention that my mechanic is about 13 miles from my home. Would it be safe to “limp” it there? If I drove 500 miles already another 13 shouldn’t hurt right?

Ended up being miss in cylinder 4. Put new coil and plug and runs flawless.

Members online

Back