slight knocking/tapping at running temp

MysticMac

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Just changed my oil with mobil1 5w20 and noticed when it got up to normal temp there is a knocking sound on my driver side valve cover, I did use cheapo coils this time around but I noticed my oil was a bit low when i drained it, I read a valve adjustment could be the issue, I also notice my belt was making a weird noise yesterday, not sure if it has anything to do with it but i thought i would mention that, I really hope its not a rod knock.

I know Joegr said it might be valves needing adjustment on the other thread where the member's LS was knocking on startup, where my car makes the knocking sound only at temp. I knew I should of went with a higher weight, thankfully my brand new crv takes 0w20 and I have 5 quarts of it already, I'm gonna drain the new oil and throw in the 0 weight and see if it helps, I also hear seafoam helps but I know Joegr doesn't believe in it and I usually will take his advice on the LS over most peoples lol

I know Joegr said it might be valves needing adjustment on the other thread where the member's LS was knocking on startup, where my car makes the knocking sound only at temp. I knew I should of went with a higher weight, thankfully my brand new crv takes 0w20 and I have 5 quarts of it already, I'm gonna drain the new oil and throw in the 0 weight and see if it helps, I also hear seafoam helps but I know Joegr doesn't believe in it and I usually will take his advice on the LS over most peoples lol
Is this 2005 a V6 or a V8? You could try some friction modifier...I have been using this product in all my cars for quite a few years ...most BMW Owner's live and die by this stuff...
Liqui Moly (20002) Cera Tec Friction Modifier - 300 ml

Well turns out I forgot to tighten cylinder 4 spark plug when I put my new coils in, fixed it right away. Stoked. I was so worried the past few days but I stayed positive.

You dodged a bullet when your spark plug did not get ejected along with the threads from the head... Just how tight do you torque your spark plugs? I keep finding fairly loose plugs on Subarus that come into my garage. When this happens, the combustion gases constantly get by the plug gasket and coat all of the threads in carbon, making it feel like you are loosening a bolt that has been treated with Loc-Tite thread locker. Going by feel, you can feel the gasket on the plug crushing as it is designed to do, which seems to occur for me at around 18 lb-ft of torque. When the crush has completed, the plug really gets tough to rotate any further, which it should not, to avoid stripping the threaded hole in the head.

Glad you were able to find it! I had a coil on plug pack do that on a Subaru once, my own, and it sounded just like a rod knock. It was arcing to the valve cover through some fault in the epoxy sealant package. What a relief!

Well turns out I forgot to tighten cylinder 4 spark plug when I put my new coils in, fixed it right away. Stoked. I was so worried the past few days but I stayed positive.
I agree with Mike ...you have some Angel's around you

Haha, I usually just keep them snug, I just have forgotten to tighten it up when I did my coil and plug job, the car has been sitting, just doing maintenance on it, definitely dodged a bullet.

Members online

No members online now.
Back