Actuator Solenoid Questions

00LincLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a 00 V8. Just got a used actuator since they are now discontinued. I know the easiest way to get to it and change it via the passenger side wheel. My questions are
  1. Should I just replace the actuator and add fluid that I’m going to lose?
  2. Is it best to just change all the fluid as I replace the fluid if the fan can be pushed by hand?
  3. Or should I replace the actuator then see if the fan moves before thinking about fluid change?

Please only helpful information and no smart a$$ remarks. This is my first time changing this piece and need all the help I can get. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I have the 01V6 and have changed the actuator twice now. What I would do if the fluid is over 1 year old is find a way to suck it out of the reserviour. I use a hand drill pump, cheap effective, pump it right into a old plastic bottle. There was clearance to come in from the rear of the pump with a socket to remove the actuator. Replaced actuator refilled reserviour. Started engine and watched the fan. I had no need to hand pump the fan blades. Worked without a problem, no vapor lock or other issues. I change the fluid every year.

I have the 01V6 and have changed the actuator twice now. What I would do if the fluid is over 1 year old is find a way to suck it out of the reserviour. I use a hand drill pump, cheap effective, pump it right into a old plastic bottle. There was clearance to come in from the rear of the pump with a socket to remove the actuator. Replaced actuator refilled reserviour. Started engine and watched the fan. I had no need to hand pump the fan blades. Worked without a problem, no vapor lock or other issues. I change the fluid every year.
Thanks for that suggestion. Hoping the actuator will work. My fan won’t move by hand but then again I maybe trying to get it to move improperly. I do have a quart of Mercon V, will a quart be enough to fill the reservoir if I drain it as much as possible from the reservoir?

Last edited:
We will see one step at a time. Any other useful information you have that can help?
A quart of Tranny fluid will be enough to refill reservoir...keep us posted how it goes ...I will more than likely have to do this come summer myself

A quart of Tranny fluid will be enough to refill reservoir...keep us posted how it goes ...I will more than likely have to do this come summer myself
Thanks I will keep everyone posted. I’ll have to find some type of automotive aspirator to remove the fluid. Any idea how long it will take for the fluid to start circulating again once replaced and the other actuator is in?

...Any idea how long it will take for the fluid to start circulating again once replaced and the other actuator is in?

Either it works as soon as you start the engine, or it doesn't. Of course, if you really can't turn your fan by hand, it isn't going to work, fluid circulating or not.

Either it works as soon as you start the engine, or it doesn't. Of course, if you really can't turn your fan by hand, it isn't going to work, fluid circulating or not.
Does the ac need to be running to push it by hand? Only asking since it’s started making a whining sound.

Does the ac need to be running to push it by hand? Only asking since it’s started making a whining sound.

Nope. Also, it's way safer to try turning it by hand while the engine is off. That way there's no chance of getting anything caught in the belt and pulleys.

To get to the actuator is it easier to remove the passenger side tire or do it for the top of the engine? I’ve seen a video of it being done from the top but have read that removing the tire gives you more room to work with and you don’t have to remove or disconnect tubes

Members online

Back