Fuel pump noise

Elessee

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
1988 Mk7 LSC. My fuel gauge has been a problem so I keep the tank filled. Recently I take a 300 mile round trip every week, over the mountains, filling it before I leave.
At 20 MPG, the car's range should be around 400 miles, but I stop for gas and fill it on the return trip, just to be sure. One time I didn't stop, and made it home alright.

Then something weird happened. I was carrying extra cargo, and running fast up the hills. On a steep incline it sputtered, slowed, and felt just like it's out of gas. I carry a 2 1/2 gallon spare tank.

I pulled over. Car is idling at the side of a quiet road. I get the spare tank out of the trunk. Standing out there, I hear like a whining or grinding coming from the back of the car. I start to pour gas into the tank, and the whine stops. It's the fuel pump? It's running dry?

Cutting to the chase, I find someone willing to give me 5 gallons of gas at a tiny town general store... nice people! I drove a good 40 miles of steep mountain (12 MPG) on that 5 gallons plus my 2 1/2 gallons.

Here's the kicker. I filled it up today. Today, there should be about 4 or 5 gallons left in the tank. I should be able to put over 15 gallons into my tank. But it doesn't accept that much. It's filled after 10 gallons. The 22 gallon tank had maybe 10 gallons already in it.

According to that, I didn't run out of gas in the mountains. Can the fuel pump run dry when climbing hills? Do they get old and tired?

I start to pour gas into the tank, and the whine stops. It's the fuel pump?
The sound is normal but what you PROBABLY heard was the sound of unused fuel being pumped BACK into the tank through a red rubber anti-siphon valve.
DSCF3999.jpg

It's running dry?
Low? Yes, hence the sputter or feeling of lack-of-power.
Dry? No :) Engines don't run when tanks run dry :)

Can the fuel pump run dry when climbing hills?
Yes BUT, our Lincoln Mark VIIs will start to suck air while driving DOWNHILL before they suck air driving UPHILL.
Do they get old and tired?
Everything eventually gets old and tired my Friend.
"When in doubt, change it out."

what you PROBABLY heard was the sound of unused fuel being pumped BACK into the tank
Strange noise. Since it stopped immediately when I put a little gas in, I attribute it to the fuel system. If the noise didn't stop, I might write it off as an exhaust rattle.
Everything eventually gets old and tired my Friend.
"When in doubt, change it out."
...need to study this fuel system before doing anything. Maybe a filter, or injectors? Maybe the computer sensed something was wrong going up the hill, and it executed some weird code..?

I'm certain there was a few gallons of gas still in the tank. All the dashboard electronics seem to be operating properly now. The tach works with the headlights on. Lighting is fine.

When I jumped in the car to get gas yesterday, the gauge read a little less than half full. (?) That usually means about 7 or 8 gallons is in the tank (the gauge moves beyond the "full", so half a tank is 8 or 9.)
I'm thinking, there's no way I can have anything close to 8 gallons. Fuel gauge must still be broken..

STOCK Lincoln Mark VII Fuel Systems
Far as i know it's stock.
Elevation varied from 7 to 8,000 feet on the stretch of road, so it happened high up there. I'm flying uphill, and there's a few hundred pounds of cargo.
The engine control is gonna lean the mixture up there. Combine that with something like a clogged fuel filter, and perhaps bad O2 sensors or other sensors.. pressure regulator...might it not starve for fuel?

I'm working on the premise that it is fuel starvation. Tomorrow I'll plug in the code reader for the first time in a long time.

Last edited:
Far as i know it's stock.
Elevation varied from 7 to 8,000 feet on the stretch of road, so it happened high up there. I'm flying uphill, and there's a few hundred pounds of cargo.
The engine control is gonna lean the mixture up there. Combine that with something like a clogged fuel filter, and perhaps bad O2 sensors or other sensors.. pressure regulator...might it not starve for fuel?

I'm working on the premise that it is fuel starvation. Tomorrow I'll plug in the code reader for the first time in a long time.
Any testing is a step in the right direction.
If you get to it before snow arrives, let us know.
John "It's-November-In-Pennsylvania" Dancy

Any testing is a step in the right direction
Nothing of interests came up in codes. EGR valve may not be functioning correctly. That could be an old one, from years ago.
There's a stretch of about 50 miles where the Message Center says fuel economy is around 8 MPG. It's basically uphill at speed.... A lot of fuel is being delivered. This is where (twice) it "ran out of gas". A clogged filter could mess things up.
I've never changed this fuel filter. They cost around $12. Autozone has it in stock. It's an easy installation. Youtube has a video. I think I'll do that, just for kicks.

You ever hear of anyone pressure-testing a filter, to see if it needs to be replaced?

Members online

Back