2002 Lincoln LS V8 (232k Miles) Error codes

PompanoJJ

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Good Morning guys, first time writing on this thread. I am from Pompano Beach, Florida. Acquired this 2002 Lincoln LS V8 about roughly 3 or 4 months ago. I am currently dealing with a overheating problem with the vehicle.:( I recently just swapped out the thermostat housing assuming that was the cause of my overheating o_O. However I discovered when I attempted to take out the car for a spin. About a hour or two into my drive I noticed my temperature gauge fluctuating up and down as I drove, when I came to a stop. (I noticed when I’m driving the temperature goes down). It began to almost get to the 3rd and final line before shutting off by the Computer to prevent damage to the engine due to it overheating. So I work at Advance Auto Parts and put my car on our “Check engine light scanner” and these we’re the codes I received.

C1805 ABS $28
  • PCM And / Or ABS Module Mismatch (NON-MIL)

U1262 ABS $28
  • Standard Communication Protocol Communications Bus Malfunction

C1279 ABS $28
  • YAW Rate Sensor Circuit Malfunction (NON-MIL)

C1963 ABS $28
Stability Control Inhibit Warning (NON-MIL)

P1474
ENG $10

• Hydraulic Cooling Fan Primary Circuit Malfunction (NON-MIL)
And the concludes what I have for this old piece of power. :D So if you guys have any ideas or questions or anything at all please feel free to reply. Anything helps. If you can drop links to the other posts within this forum would be great as well. Also I’m trying to become a mechanic and work on my own cars so if there’s any videos as well please feel free to drop a link. I thank anyone and everyone who took their time to read this and have a great day guys. :D

U1262 - pretty common as an intermittent code. Clear it and if it doesn't come back right away, ignore it. Note that if it does come back, you need to also know which module it is coming from to do any useful troubleshooting.

C1805 - Your ABS module hasn't been calibrated (for the AdvanceTrac function) to your car. Probably someone replaced it and didn't do all the needed steps.
C1279 - Your yaw sensor is probably bad. This may be why someone mistakenly replaced your ABS module.
C1963 - AdvanceTrac is disabled because of the above two reasons.

P1474 - Your fan speed actuator is unplugged, the wire(s) are broken somewhere between it and the PCM, and/or the solenoid coil in the actuator itself is bad. This is unusual, normally the actuator fails for mechanical reasons.

If your cooling fan is not working correctly (it can't be with the above code), then you will overheat at low speeds and idle, but be perfectly fine at higher speeds (say 45 MPH and higher).

I assume that you believe that you are the exception with the plastic cooling system parts. I promise that you are not, no one else has been. You need to replace all the plastic parts, including (but not limited to) the cross over tube, radiator hoses, and degas bottle. Also, you almost certainly need to replace your radiator (plastic side tanks) after running that hot.

Ok so how would I go about resetting the code U1262?

C1805 what would I have to do in order to calibrate them/fix them?

C1279 Yaw Sensor Im assuming is just plug and play but I’m going to see what I can do in reference to getting that swapped out.

C1963 so fix the other stuff and these codes should go away.

P1474 So I need a actuator/solenoid for the sensor basically?

Also I have been replacing most of the plastic parts already, including Thermostat Housing and Thermostat, crossover tube, but replacing the radiator sounds like mainly the problem. However it does seem like my fan does wobble when it spins.

Ok so how would I go about resetting the code U1262?...

Clear the code from the scan tool.

...C1805 what would I have to do in order to calibrate them/fix them?...

Assuming that you have the correct ABS module installed, a good scan tool (Forscan is the cheapest way that I know of) can trigger the recalibrate procedure. Drive as instructed during the procedure.

...C1279 Yaw Sensor Im assuming is just plug and play but I’m going to see what I can do in reference to getting that swapped out...

The yaw sensor is in/under the floor console. Run the pinpoint tests to verify that it is the yaw sensor and not the wiring or ABS module.

...P1474 So I need a actuator/solenoid for the sensor basically?

You may need the actuator, or it may be the connector or the wiring. The service manual has the correct pinpoint tests to run to determine for sure. The OBDII codes are always just starting points to tell you what tests you need to do to find the actual problem. I am not a fan of just throwing parts at problems.

You symptom description makes it clear that you overheating problem is not just the fan. You'll need to fix the rest of the coolant system too.

Clear the code from the scan tool.

Assuming that you have the correct ABS module installed, a good scan tool (Forscan is the cheapest way that I know of) can trigger the recalibrate procedure. Drive as instructed during the procedure.

The yaw sensor is in/under the floor console. Run the pinpoint tests to verify that it is the yaw sensor and not the wiring or ABS module.

You may need the actuator, or it may be the connector or the wiring. The service manual has the correct pinpoint tests to run to determine for sure. The OBDII codes are always just starting points to tell you what tests you need to do to find the actual problem. I am not a fan of just throwing parts at problems.

You symptom description makes it clear that you overheating problem is not just the fan. You'll need to fix the rest of the coolant system too.
Ok so I need to exactly change what if I don’t have a scanner, if you can please call out the part name I’m trying to keep this old timer running.

Ok so I need to exactly change what if I don’t have a scanner, if you can please call out the part name I’m trying to keep this old timer running.

There's no way to know exactly what to do without the module level DTCs and doing the correct pinpoint tests that those codes lead to. If you have a laptop, then a good enough scan tool (Forscan) is only $30 or so.

I assume that you believe that you are the exception with the plastic cooling system parts. I promise that you are not, no one else has been. You need to replace all the plastic parts, including (but not limited to) the cross over tube, radiator hoses, and degas bottle. Also, you almost certainly need to replace your radiator (plastic side tanks) after running that hot.

And... replace all parts with factory OEM Ford parts. You may get a great discount on aftermarket parts by working at Advance... But they will NOT hold up for very long.

The cooling system on the LS is enough of a PITA to work on... that you will not want to replace a part over and over again.

Spend the roughly $1000 or so on the factory parts, and replace them all at once. Then live in peace and tranquility for 6 years or so.

Good Morning guys, first time writing on this thread. I am from Pompano Beach, Florida. Acquired this 2002 Lincoln LS V8 about roughly 3 or 4 months ago. I am currently dealing with a overheating problem with the vehicle.:( I recently just swapped out the thermostat housing assuming that was the cause of my overheating o_O. However I discovered when I attempted to take out the car for a spin. About a hour or two into my drive I noticed my temperature gauge fluctuating up and down as I drove, when I came to a stop. (I noticed when I’m driving the temperature goes down). It began to almost get to the 3rd and final line before shutting off by the Computer to prevent damage to the engine due to it overheating. So I work at Advance Auto Parts and put my car on our “Check engine light scanner” and these we’re the codes I received.

C1805 ABS $28
  • PCM And / Or ABS Module Mismatch (NON-MIL)

U1262 ABS $28
  • Standard Communication Protocol Communications Bus Malfunction

C1279 ABS $28
  • YAW Rate Sensor Circuit Malfunction (NON-MIL)

C1963 ABS $28
Stability Control Inhibit Warning (NON-MIL)

P1474
ENG $10

• Hydraulic Cooling Fan Primary Circuit Malfunction (NON-MIL)
And the concludes what I have for this old piece of power. :D So if you guys have any ideas or questions or anything at all please feel free to reply. Anything helps. If you can drop links to the other posts within this forum would be great as well. Also I’m trying to become a mechanic and work on my own cars so if there’s any videos as well please feel free to drop a link. I thank anyone and everyone who took their time to read this and have a great day guys. :D

I have a bad Abs control module for my 2002 Lincoln Ls V8. Do you or anyone else know where I can get a refurbished or fairly new one. Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back