KEY Programming issue

SteveSC

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So, I couldn't find my spare key and wanted to get another one. after trying all over town it was not in stock so I went to the local dealer. Even though my car starts and drives fine they could not programme the new key. They charged me for the programming! They said there must be an error in a module as the system would not let them programme it! They were guessing the anti theft module but want $280 to start the diagnostic. I told them to leave it for now as I would use my one key.
Any ideas? Has anyone had an issue like this?

Last edited:
So, I couldn't find my spare key and wanted to get another one. after trying all over town it was not in stock so I went to the local dealer. Even though my car starts and drives fine they could not programme the new key. They charged me for the programming! They said there must be an error in a module as the system would not let them programme it! They were guessing the anti theft module but want $280 to start the diagnostic. I told them to leave it for now as I would use my spare key.
Any ideas? Has anyone had an issue like this?

Did you buy the key at the dealer? Or did you end up buying it online? I ask this because there are many fakes out there in the aftermarket world.

Genuine Lincoln key from the dealer. $80 or so, they also screwed up the alignment so my confidence in this dealer is close to zero.

Just the key. Programming was another $140! It was $340 for an alignment, fix a slow leak and a key that opens the door only! $220+ for the key that only opens the door!

Just the key. Programming was another $140! It was $340 for an alignment, fix a slow leak and a key that opens the door only! $220+ for the key that only opens the door!
$80 for the key seems awfully expensive I know the local ford dealer in my town charges $35 for the OEM key for the Gen 1. Does the key look exactly the same as your old one or does it look like it's a newer style? The reason I ask is I wonder if they sold you a Gen 2 Key which will not work on the Gen 1.

looks exactly the same. what does a gen 2 look like?
s-l500.png

That is in Canadian dollars.
Still at conversion to USD that's still high at $60. I know two dealers in my area the key is 30 USD and the other place is 35 USD. But maybe things are more expensive for this car in Canada.

What adapter do I buy? I will order an adapter and then try it. I though Ford (Lincoln) dealer would be able to do it.

View attachment 828572793
VINT-TT55502 ELM327 USB modified For all Windows Forscan ELMconfig Focccus HS-CAN / MS-CAN compatible with Ford and Mazda
Sold by: vintscan
Return window closed on Jun 11, 2019
$18.97
This is the adapter I bought works great on my 06' LS and wife's 2010 Ford Edge but having trouble with the 2002 LSE
I'm pretty sure that's the one I have and it works in my 02. Forscan will tell you if the switch is flipped the wrong way for whichever module it needs

Members online

Back