02 Lincoln ls v8 possible engine swaps?

2002LS8

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just joined today and figured I'd ask a quick question. I've seen cool topics such as a ls1 engine swap, but I'd like to stick with ford. I recently bought myself a 2002 LS v8 for cheap and got curious to possible engine swaps. The previous owner changed the hydraulic fans out for electric ones so now I have a bunch of frontal space, and a tiny bit of side space due to the removal of the fan pump. Here are my questions.

is there any possible engine swaps that I can do without too much cutting or instrument cluster changing? Will a ford 5.0 fit in nicely since I have some more room in the engine bay?

If someone can direct me to a thread that's more related to my questions please by my guest. I'm new here.

Search for a thread by member Dwiggy. He put a 302 in his LS. More work than the average owner will ever do.

possible? sure, everything is with enough money... and fab skills.

easy? not even close.

its been talked about the easiest option being a better version of the Jag V8 that we already have. were still waiting for the results.

I believe the ford 302 swap as mentioned above was the probably the only one to get the factory computer to control everything aka having everything in the car work right. but then if was swapped back to factory...

all the other motor swaps that have been completed had required a lot of rigging to get things like heat to work some what.

if a little more power is what you want, then get a bottle. if a lot more power is what you want either buy a new car, or get ready to spend 3 to 5 times what that car cost you to try it.

......If a little more power is what you want, then get a bottle. If a lot more power is what you want either buy a new car, or get ready to spend 3 to 5 times what that car cost you to try it.

I would estimate more like 10X!!!!!!

Didn't somebody put an LS1 in? I believe they had to change the dash and quite a few other things though. Chevy motor in a Ford, who'd have thunk it?

It's pretty limited. You can do an LS engine, but you'll have to program the DBW (Drive By Wire) setup, unless you convert it. On the plus side, you can run a speed density setup on the engine, as it doesn't require a full PCM to run. If you do this swap, you'll also have to grab a T56, or Chevy's automatic. Also, you can only use engines of the year or newer of your car, for emissions purpose. In any case, finding a 2002+ V8 car that won't be impossible to find and install is pretty narrow.

I was contemplating on grabbing a salvaged 2003-2004 Mercury Marauder. The Marauder has a 4.6L 4V DOHV V8, with a DBC (Drive By Cable) with the all too reliable 4R70 transmission. Slap on a 8.8" Diff, a custom U-joint driveshaft, some fancy fabrication work, and you're golden (with the PCM of course). Grab an aftermarket cruise control module, and you now have cruise control. I doubt any other fancy electronics will work after this, but hey, you got a reliable car.

Of course, this isn't my truck, where you can put virtually anything in the engine bay, and with an engine harness, you'd be good.

Please let me offer a counterpoint to all the nay-saying above. Here are a few thoughts---

First, your '02 Lincoln doesn't have a 'drive-by-wire' system. Your gas pedal is connected to your throttle body by a mechanical cable set-up so you don't have that problem to deal with.

Second, older vehicles were much easier to do engine swaps with since all the connections were mechanical. And, unfortunately, the Lincoln LS has both massive loads of electronics and a design in which those electronics were made more complex than necessary.

My own answer is that the AJ engine series has a wide variety of choices. I've said before that the engine setting on your garage floor doesn't know its antecedents or where it's supposed to fit. There are a number of sources where you can acquire a Jag engine that has considerably more 'beans' than your (and my) 3.9 engine of 252 horsepower. The one I got---an AJ33S cost only a bit more than $3 K and is rated at +/- 400 HP. Undoubtedly there are some of the sensors in the engine that are not exact duplicates of those in my own '02 LS Sport. But swapping of sensors is surely a do-able project and when the proper sensors are feeding the ECU everything will come up roses. I expect to get everything ready (I have another front stub with a freshly redone suspension attached.) Therefore, when all is gathered together, the entire swap will be accomplished over a (long) weekend.

The 'spray'/methanol system now on the car has a capacity by itself in excess of 400 HP, if I were to press it. Since I don't believe the rods and pistons to be completely up to that much of a load---I set the ECTA RECORD IN E Fuel Competition Coupe/Sedan with a nominal hit of 100 HP of the spray but using methanol instead of gasoline---but I suppose such an addition will be OK in the AJ33S. Simple addition will show the possibilities.

KS

Thank you all for the info. I was just curious to see if I have any open options for the future. I like my LS.. Still haven't gotten the select shift down yet, but I like it. It was worth the money to get. Just minor issues such as s thermostat and thermostat housing. If I can find some jaguar performance parts in the future I might do something. Eh.

Just minor issues such as s thermostat and thermostat housing.

two thoughts on this, A: go with the metal jag parts, B: the rest of the plastic cooling parts are in just as bad of shape, you pretty much should be doing all of them.

I am a crossover from the Jaguar S-type arena and come to this forum for idea that can be used on the s-types. Unfortuantely we don't have many performance parts for the 4.2 engines. The STR engines can get around 40 hp more with inlet duct changes and SC pulley swap. Therefore without a lot of time and cost, the most you can get out of a stock STR engine is around 440hp. This would be a huge gain for an LS, but think of all the time and money it will take to put in the engine, then screw around with all the electrical in order to integrate it properly to the LS body. You might as well by a good running Jaguar STR. Good running ones can be had for under $15K.

If you don't dwell on the financial practicality and make an emotional decision that you love your LS and you want it to be the fastest one around, I see 2 routes you could take. 1. pick up a 4.4L Rover engine and adapt it to use the 3.9L electrical. You can get a quick 300HP in the car without too difficult a swap. Seems like you have to pay a premium price for a good running Rover engine, most of the time around $6k.
If you decide that you still want more power and you have the time and money, I would build up a 92mm sleeved 4.8L STR engine. it will cost you around $12 to $17K to do this because the majority of the rebuild parts have to be custom fabricated. Several Jaguar guys have reached the 600hp mark.
One of the problems between the NA and Supercharged engines is the compression ratios. The NA engine don't take well to boosting. The supercharged one use different control modules/programming, so even on Jaguar you can't swap a SC engine into a NA car without a lot of electrical work.

For my 03 STR I am slowly building up a 4.8L STR engine. At the rate I am going, it will take ate least another year put it together. The current experience on the STR engine to get to 600hp, is to build up a bored out 4.8L and use a Kenne bell twin screw supercharger with new inlet elbow, and different throttle body. You will also have to build up a stronger valvetrain and get the cams ground.
In my case I am going to put on a Techco 3.0L front fed supercharger. I don't like Jaguar's Supercharger design approach. To fit this supercharger, I have to machine off the heads water outlet ports and reroute the water lines.
I am researching the Jaguar 4-valve pentroof chambers and making plans to modify the domes to match the 92mm bored cylinders, along with a port job. It will be similar to Jaguar's GT3 race heads. I need to do all of this before I get a set of pistons made. Time and money..
I took on this project for the fun of it, because I like good car projects. I have several other projects going at the same time and I seem to make progress in spurts as I can save money for the next purchase.

In my recent research, I like either the New Ford GT350 or GT500 engines. Either one of those might make a good swap into a LS. I haven't seen a dropout for under $20k, so you will need deep pockets if you want to swap one into your car.

Didn't somebody put an LS1 in? I believe they had to change the dash and quite a few other things though. Chevy motor in a Ford, who'd have thunk it?
Change the dash to what? No you do. It have to change out the dash. That’s incorrect brother...

Change the dash to what? No you do. It have to change out the dash. That’s incorrect brother...
they removed the cluster and installed individual gauges as well as standalone engine management rather than trying to make a different engine work in the stock electronics

I would like to a see a Nissan VQ 3.7L swap into an LS. V6 with 332HP N/A. Throw a turbo on with 9 lbs of boost, and you're looking at a close to 500 RWHP easy. Being similar in displacement, I can see this motor bolting up easier than the guys who try LS1/5.0 swapping.

I would like to a see a Nissan VQ 3.7L swap into an LS. V6 with 332HP N/A. Throw a turbo on with 9 lbs of boost, and you're looking at a close to 500 RWHP easy. Being similar in displacement, I can see this motor bolting up easier than the guys who try LS1/5.0 swapping.

Yeah but the sound would be a bigger headache than the typical LS electrical gremlins

Yeah but the sound would be a bigger headache than the typical LS electrical gremlins

HAHAHA yeah. I mean, it is a V6 anyway, you gotta like that 6 cylinder rasp before you bolt up on of these motors.

I mean I love it. Sounds like a really pissed of cat.

Members online

No members online now.
Back