Rain water leak inside front door pockets

Archangel

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,
I’ve read the threads here for the moon roof drain lines coming loose and leaking water into the inside of the car.

So, during the heavy rains , I have water dripping from inside the dash board on both the drivers and passenger side compartment. The water seems to mostly fill the front door map pockets and the floor board near that area but there is no moisture present in the A pillars or headliner.

Now, I have cleared the drains under the cowel and they were stopped up but that was a few weeks ago but that didn’t help with rain water still filling up the front door map pockets.

Before I go and spend the time getting the headliner down, anyone know what else it could be.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

The seal around the windshield is one possibility.

The headliner has some fiberglass-type backing that is waterproof. The A-pillar covers are made of plastic with a fabric covering, so they're also waterproof. The angle of the car could be enough to guide the water straight through without wetting the point where the pillar meets the roof. I never got water there, only in the door pocket

The pillar covers pop off easily. Check after you know more water went into the pocket. If you find water in the covers (it pools in the support braces molded into the plastic), then you know you have to look higher

I had that happen previously on my 06. we unstopped the tube and it never filled the pockets again. Then , one day when I opened my passenger door, water would leak and drip out of the bottom door panel onto the driveway. When I took it to my mechanic to do the throttle body and some coils, he noticed it too when working on the car, it just happened that some water leaked out and he saw it. Now I cant tell you exactly how it's happening this time, but there does seem to be a rubber plug on the forward /lower edge of the door that when unplugged, allows the water in the door to run out, for what it's worth.

Last edited:
I would love to know where that plug is. I have the same problem. Fixed the hose that had come loose on my driver side and even now after decent rain or after i wash my car I can hear a ton of water in my driver side door. It scares me to know I have sitting water in my door due to the fact it will cause some major issues later on down the road

It is normal for some water to get inside the door itself, but it should drain out (outside of the interior) fairly quickly.

I would love to know where that plug is. I have the same problem. Fixed the hose that had come loose on my driver side and even now after decent rain or after i wash my car I can hear a ton of water in my driver side door. It scares me to know I have sitting water in my door due to the fact it will cause some major issues later on down the road

Your drain holes in the bottom of the door are clogged. It would be best to remove the trim panel and clean out the bottom of the door cavity. There are drain slots at the front and back of the door, at the outside edge on the bottom of the door.

Your drain holes in the bottom of the door are clogged. It would be best to remove the trim panel and clean out the bottom of the door cavity. There are drain slots at the front and back of the door, at the outside edge on the bottom of the door.

I appreciate it! If that fixes it my anxiety about rust forming will finally go away

After a long hard on/off 4 day rainstorm with the car parked nose slightly downhill I opened the drivers rear door (of my 2007 Navigator) and there was so much water in there I could hear it sloshing around. I pulled the plug and was able to get nearly all of it out. I dont know how it got in there. And I saw no need to put that cap back on?

The water gets in at the bottom of the glass and maybe some at the door handle. I think that the caps are to keep insects, rats, snakes, ... out.

The water gets in at the bottom of the glass and maybe some at the door handle. I think that the caps are to keep insects, rats, snakes, ... out.
Yeah, those both make sense. Better put the cap back on. We got plenty of all those vermin around here. Thanks

weep holes near bottom of door sils doing a factory radio noted a water drip right on the speaker connector to find some plastic had covered up those weep holes and dirt dust down at bottoms the fact that the radio in the car would only produce on one side the second factory radio did the same thing until I used a glue gun to cover connections there was also bad window regulators in from a similar vehicle but the wrong parts ended up buying new the widow grommets get hard and are not perfect they only work when the window is fully up

Update:
Finally got around to dropping the headliner while I let engine oil drain...Get two things done at the same time.

Wasn't hard to drop the headliner and sure as hell, the two front drain hoses had receded back about 3/4". The passenger side, I blew out the drain line with compressed air and it was clear. Stretched the drain hose back onto the barb and secured it with a worm clamp...Easy.

The drivers side now, the drain line was plugged and after a few attempts with 90 psi compressed air, I got some of the restriction cleared so I filled up my clear vinyl blow line hose, about 5 feet of it, with water and pushed it with compressed air and the blockage cleared...good so far.
Stretched the existing drain line back onto the barb and started tightening it down with a worm clamp, just as soon as the worm back started bottoming out on the barb, I heard a small "crack"...I said to myself, AHHHH HELL NO!!!!. Sure as chit, the brittle plastic barb broke off with nothing left to secure the drain line to. So...I stuffed a 4" long, small diameter piece on vinyl tubing into the hole and glued the crap out of it, stuck the other end into the existing drain hose and put a zip tie on it and glued the hell out of it....
Cheap asss folks at Ford, could have at least put Corbin clamps around those drain hoses in the beginning...Bullshit!!!

Anyhow, got the oil and filter changed, sucked out and refilled about 4 times my power steering reservoir with new fluid, got the inside put all back together and waiting for a good storm tonight and hopefully enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Please excuse my French.

The brittleness of all the othe rplastic parts is why I opted to make an extension for the hose instead of stretching it. But hopefully you've solved the leak

The brittleness of all the othe rplastic parts is why I opted to make an extension for the hose instead of stretching it. But hopefully you've solved the leak

Yeah, I went the extension route too. That was a few years ago, and so far so good.

After a few good rain storms, no water leaking into the car... Yaaaaa!

Thanks guys.

Members online

No members online now.
Back