Adding A Little More Auto Dim To The Rearview Mirror

jerryg2112

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I added a little baseline dim to the auto rearview and drivers side mirror by inserting a piece of window tint over the windshield facing sensor. I just cut a piece off the roll and slipped it inside the mirror over the sensor unpeeled. Makes the mirror think it is darker outside than it is and adds a little dim at night. No difference during the day from what I can tell. Extra bright lights still bother me a little and I think it's because the mirror won't dim as dark as it used to when it was new.

... Extra bright lights still bother me a little and I think it's because the mirror won't dim as dark as it used to when it was new.

Or... Is it because more and more people are putting aftermarket LEDs in place of halogen headlight bulbs?

Or... Is it because more and more people are putting aftermarket LEDs in place of halogen headlight bulbs?

OEM lights are getting bad too, though. Ford Explorer/Fusion LED projectors and Honda LED reflectors glare like crazy. Many other projectors of all types are aimed way too high from the factory (LED Corollas and Range Rovers come to mind).

Owners have no idea they're causing a problem

I can't even begin to count how many times I've been driving at night and get semi-blinded by an oncoming vehicle & I think "Why is this @$&*#:;/+- driving with their high-beams on", only to realize that they're not...driving with their high-beams on

I can't even begin to count how many times I've been driving at night and get semi-blinded by an oncoming vehicle & I think "Why is this @$&*#:;/+- driving with their high-beams on", only to realize that they're not...driving with their high-beams on

This makes me crazy. I thought this was regulated? You know when we will see action on this?? When senator notices the issue driving or his/ her wife/ husband complains and says, "Hunny you need to propose legislation to address this high beam thing!"

It is regulated. There are no aftermarket LED or HID lights that are legal to use on-road. They get around it by having "off-road only" somewhere on the box. Still, the police could enforce it if they wanted to.

This makes me crazy. I thought this was regulated? You know when we will see action on this?? When senator notices the issue driving or his/ her wife/ husband complains and says, "Hunny you need to propose legislation to address this high beam thing!"
Doesn't mean they'll do it right. Kentucky recently banned lights that are too blue. Guess what... that was already regulated and wasn't the source of the problem anyway. Illegal bulbs are (and since they're illegal, that means they're already regulated)

Still, the police could enforce it if they wanted to.
But they don't. It's too difficult to enforce correctly, so the most they'll do is give a "misaligned light" ticket when they try to be nice and skip the moving violation they pulled you over for

...But they don't. It's too difficult to enforce correctly, so the most they'll do is give a "misaligned light" ticket when they try to be nice and skip the moving violation they pulled you over for

I do understand that. They would need some device that could determine that some light was going where it was not supposed to go. That would not be easy to do at all.

I do understand that. They would need some device that could determine that some light was going where it was not supposed to go. That would not be easy to do at all.

...aha, my eyes! I can tell right away but we are talking new cars that blind and (old) retro fitted stuff too. New cars can be addressed. Baby boomer voting block needs to step up.

But society has too many issues to wrestle with. I'd be branded a racist if I continue to rant about blinding headlights...

I added a little baseline dim to the auto rearview and drivers side mirror by inserting a piece of window tint over the windshield facing sensor. I just cut a piece off the roll and slipped it inside the mirror over the sensor unpeeled. Makes the mirror think it is darker outside than it is and adds a little dim at night. No difference during the day from what I can tell. Extra bright lights still bother me a little and I think it's because the mirror won't dim as dark as it used to when it was new.

That's actually a good idea though IIRC my '96 Mark VIII had an on/off button and I always just left that on. Day time, no issues, night time, always dark. Biggest issue is Ford seems to have issues keeping the seals from leaking.

If night time still bothers you, readjust the actual mirrors (sides, rear) slightly off-center so the light beam isn't hitting your eyes dead-on. Other option, is put a high transparency tint on the actual mirror or a flipdown before the mirror. Rear window tint makes a big difference to. Used to run limo tint on the rear of my Mark and between that and the mirror, you could have high beam projectors on 10' off my bumper and still no issues.

...aha, my eyes! I can tell right away but we are talking new cars that blind and (old) retro fitted stuff too. New cars can be addressed. Baby boomer voting block needs to step up.

But society has too many issues to wrestle with. I'd be branded a racist if I continue to rant about blinding headlights...
I have seen some bicycle and helmet lights that were too bright . . . and that was during the day time ! It was early evening, but the sun was still above the horizon and only seemed a bit brighter than those lights.

Members online

No members online now.
Back