Moog quality....

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Someone warned me about the decline in Moog parts? I ordered some rear sway bar links since my driver’s side link was coming apart. I start to install them and the nuts are very tight and difficult to screw on. They weren’t even the nyloc type. I ended up breaking the top bolt on the passenger side and used the old nuts to get the broken drivers link replaced. And no, I wasn’t using impact tools!

And...I had to use a tap to even get the grease zerk started...

I really liked their front links that I got a couple years ago...

Seriously, how difficult is it to get nuts and bolts to thread together. QAQC is gone!!!

Returning passenger side to Rockauto and ordered a Motorcraft from Tasca, which is what’s i should have done to begin with....

At least I was able to replace the one that had broken...

I only go for motorcraft links, moogs went bad on me in 4 months or so, that said i am on my second reconditioned motorcraft rack and it started being noisy after a week both. Even detroilaxle rack i had before these lasted 10 months, they are all junk. Have to get a used factory one looks like. ‍♂️

Someone warned me about the decline in Moog parts? I ordered some rear sway bar links since my driver’s side link was coming apart. I start to install them and the nuts are very tight and difficult to screw on. They weren’t even the nyloc type. I ended up breaking the top bolt on the passenger side and used the old nuts to get the broken drivers link replaced. And no, I wasn’t using impact tools!

And...I had to use a tap to even get the grease zerk started...

I really liked their front links that I got a couple years ago...

Seriously, how difficult is it to get nuts and bolts to thread together. QAQC is gone!!!

Returning passenger side to Rockauto and ordered a Motorcraft from Tasca, which is what’s i should have done to begin with....

At least I was able to replace the one that had broken...
That isn't good to hear at all ...I've had nothing but good luck with Moog products ...really sucks to hear the quality is going down hill and sounds like fast...with so many Motorcraft parts being discontinued on the LS it's becoming frustrating to read posts like this because I was hoping the Moog brand could and would be my go to Parts fro replacement

Roger I went with all Moog about 6 months ago and saw none of the same quality issues. I was very pleased and everything is good so far. I ordered direct from Moog and not RockAuto

Roger I went with all Moog about 6 months ago and saw none of the same quality issues. I was very pleased and everything is good so far. I ordered direct from Moog and not RockAuto
Maybe it was a Rockauto thing. When I opened the drivers side link, the nuts were already started on the bolts. Could be they got a bad batch of nuts.

I checked my front links today (when I was changing oil and replacing oil pan gasket...I had a minor drip) and they seemed to be hold up fine.

What other Moog Parts did you use? Control arms?

Could be they got a bad batch of nuts.

Or the nuts were missing... and somebody threw a couple on that started on the threads.

R/A has their moments. Years ago I ordered some Timken bearings... and the ones that came in the boxes were SKF's.

I didn't raise a fuss because the SKF's were the pricier/better bearing.

Lesson:

Always check parts/fitment before and during install.

Or the nuts were missing... and somebody threw a couple on that started on the threads.

R/A has their moments. Years ago I ordered some Timken bearings... and the ones that came in the boxes were SKF's.

I didn't raise a fuss because the SKF's were the pricier/better bearing.

Lesson:

Always check parts/fitment before and during install.

The nuts for the one that broke were in the little bag with the Zerk fittings, so they came from Moog. Also, one of the Zerk "self tapping" fittings started in the hole fine, the other I couldn't get started at all, the hole wasn't properly drilled/threaded. Fortunately, I had a tap that helped get it started and allowed me to use a 10mm wrench to get it in.

Yup. It doesn't help that the Jag guys, (both here and across the pond), are buying up OEM and aftermarket LS parts... because they are cheaper. :rolleyes:

I only go for motorcraft links, moogs went bad on me in 4 months or so, that said i am on my second reconditioned motorcraft rack and it started being noisy after a week both. Even detroilaxle rack i had before these lasted 10 months, they are all junk. Have to get a used factory one looks like. ‍♂️

Just ordered a used rack off eBay, I tried Detroit axle on a different car and was not happy. Any pointers or tips on replacing the rack or is it pretty straight forward? Mine should get here next week.

Not a LS - but I tried a Cardone in my 1991 Cougar; it lasted about 10,000 miles, one year that year.

I then installed a RackDoctor rebuilt unit - it's got over 100,000 miles on it and still going strong.

YMMV of course.

Disclaimer: Unsatisifed Cardone, very satisfied RackDoctor customer.

RwP

Thanks rgorke... now I hear my rear Moog links rattling. :p

I can't complain though. They've been on there for 140k miles. But they are also the old USA "large ball socket" links.

Members online

Back