Unbelievable MPG in this 2006 LS

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have been averaging about 28.9-29.7 mpg highway and 19.6 City with a manual and digital mpg confirmed check ...By no means am I complaining ....just can’t believe this car is getting these MPGs being it has 213000 miles on the odometer ...anyone else getting this kind of MPG? Knocking on wood that by even posting this I won’t jinx my luck lol

I have a 2001 with a little over 200k on it, and get around 26-28 mpg on the highway. In the city though it's dreadful. I'm only getting 12-14 mpg, but that's because I live in an area where the distance between lights is huge. So we go from 0-40-0 mph quickly and often.

It's not really fair or realistic to only measure it in segments. I almost never hit reset on my MPG. It stays around 20 mpg give or take 0.5 or so, generally. (Of course now it's at 36.something, but that's the rental.) My wife's (04 LS) stays at around 16 to 17. She does a lot more idling. When we have swapped cars, the MPG has followed the driver, and not the car.

It all depends, right? When I spend a week or more just going from the house to pick up kids at school, to the market, etc. I only get 16-17. When I drive on the freeway to my parents or other longer hauls, I get 24-26, at 75-80 mph. Since telecommute most is f the time for work, I end up on the lower side of the mpg.

It all depends, right? When I spend a week or more just going from the house to pick up kids at school, to the market, etc. I only get 16-17. When I drive on the freeway to my parents or other longer hauls, I get 24-26, at 75-80 mph. Since telecommute most is f the time for work, I end up on the lower side of the mpg.

Yes, depends on highway versus stop and go driving. I rarely reset my gas mileage, but the few times I remember doing so, I get better gas mileage on open roads than in city driving. All vehicles do.

Yes, depends on highway versus stop and go driving. I rarely reset my gas mileage, but the few times I remember doing so, I get better gas mileage on open roads than in city driving. All vehicles do.

The advantage of hybrids is that they get nearly as good a mileage in town as on the highway.

With the right summer conditions, (and the planets line up), I've seen 31mpg at 70 mph.

I finally let the reset go over a year ago... and it has been holding steady at 23.5 .

However... I found a new gas station in the area that sells non-alcohol 91 octane. Over the winter months I gained .5 mpg, (@55mph), in just a week... which considering the long term estimate, it was probably a true 2-3 mpg increase.

When summer hits I'll be curious to see what the short term mpg is at 55mph. I'm guessing high 30's... depending on the wind.

The advantage of hybrids is that they get nearly as good a mileage in town as on the highway.
Honestly, a lot of hybrids actually get better millage in the city where regenerative braking and the main electric assists from take off really makes a huge difference. once up to highway speeds, they are pretty much just running as an ICE car at that point.

I guess I should have phrased that as "hybrids get nearly as good of mileage in town as regular cars get on the highway." I think that is more accurate. Hybrids on the highway suffer from the dead weight of the batteries and motor.

When mine was still alive, I'd get 21 or so back and forth to work if I drove sanely, and on the highway,. 27-28 at 75 80 mph for an 8 hr drive heading west. Definitely liked ethanol free fuel. that was with 180k on the clock.

At 192, the computer went paws up. Since replaced her with a 2015 Jag XF 5.0.

Members online

Back