Stuck with a locked trunk

LSGee

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Someone told me there was a way to jump off my 02 LS from under the hood, I don't know but maybe someone on here does.
It started the other day, my ignition switch stuck on start and I couldn't turn it off so I pulled a fuse and killed the engine but it was still "on" so I disconnected the battery and shut the trunk. Well when I went back to it to work on it I couldn't get back in the trunk because the trunk lock was all seized up. I've used WD40 and Liquid Wrench and still can't get it to work. so my question, is there a way to energize the system so I can use the trunk button or the key fob to open it?

Yes, there is. One of those 10A battery chargers would be prefect for this. Just give it a few hours to charge the battery up enough.
The easy connection is to wire it to a cord that plugs into the lighter or power port. Otherwise, you can get under the car and connect the positive to the "B" terminal on the starter, and the negative to bare metal of the engine or body. If you can't get under to do that, then jack up the passenger side in the front and take the tire off. Pull back the fender liner at the back and there is a terminal there that you can connect the positive to.

There is also a way to release one of the back seats without doing visible damage, but I'd try the above way first.

I make a point of using my key in the driver's door and in the trunk every once in a while just to make sure the mechanical locks are still working.

Thanks for your reply Joe. I had to disconnect the battery because at the time the ignition switch was stuck at the "on" position so I had to disconnect the battery until I could get it home. Will the charger plugged into the lighter power the system enough to use the trunk button or fob? I've tried to get the back seats down but they're locked upright.

Yes, you did say that. Sorry. Anyway, it would be best to use a small 12V battery instead of the charger in this case. Hopefully, the positive battery cable isn't touching any grounded metal in the trunk. (Battery chargers often put out pulsed power, so they are suitable as a power source without a battery also connected.)
You have to power up at least the FEM, the DDM, and the REM to be able to open the trunk. There's no way to get to just wires for the trunk solenoid. They only go to the REM, and don't leave the trunk.

Hey Joe, well I tried powering up thru the power port with no luck. I guess I'll have to try the other way you spoke of.

I thought some one wrote in this forum how to release the latch for the rear folding back using a long screwdriver inserted behind the the folding back. Then one can open the trunk by pulling on the emergency release strap inside the trunk. When I locked the trunk with the battery disconnected I didn't know about accessing the latch with the screwdriver, so, I removed the rear cushion, removed the bolt that holds the bottom of the right side folding back, pulled it away so I could fit a 2x4 short piece and with a rod that I bent into a hook at one end, I reached the emergency trunk release strap and done - trunk opened.

I thought some one wrote in this forum how to release the latch for the rear folding back using a long screwdriver inserted behind the the folding back. Then one can open the trunk by pulling on the emergency release strap inside the trunk. When I locked the trunk with the battery disconnected I didn't know about accessing the latch with the screwdriver, so, I removed the rear cushion, removed the bolt that holds the bottom of the right side folding back, pulled it away so I could fit a 2x4 short piece and with a rod that I bent into a hook at one end, I reached the emergency trunk release strap and done - trunk opened.
I got in the trunk like that once before when the battery run down over the winter. We don’t get a lot of snow but when we do I just park it till it’s gone. A few years back we had snow for a while and for some reason the battery run down but one of the backseats wasn’t latched so it was easy to get in there, not so easy now.

YouTube Lincoln LS trunk release. There's a couple helpful videos. I had this prob once with a parts LS. Car had bad batt wouldn't keep charge. So I git to power cable in passenger side. You'll see video.

Well I got it opened, thanks for all the help y’all.

I first tried this but it didn’t work. I felt like this was the most logical but nope, just didn’t work and I don’t know why.

Then I tried this one, or umm, the wife did this one cause she’s a lot skinnier than I am and it took all of 7 seconds. She even crawled in there and pulled the escape cord. I think I’ll keep her.

About the first video...
Why would you cut into the battery cable when you can get to a bare battery terminal just by pulling back the carpet at the front passenger footwell?

I didn’t realize I could access it there and I still can’t open the passenger front door, it’s still locked and I’m unable to get it unlocked. I’ve already buggered up the door lock lever trying to force it with no luck. When activating the door locks with the fob I can feel the lock activating but it won’t unlock. I just haven’t yet figured out what I’m gonna do about it Joe.

Oh, I see. Yes, it is a major pain when the latch assemblies break.

I didn’t realize I could access it there and I still can’t open the passenger front door, it’s still locked and I’m unable to get it unlocked. I’ve already buggered up the door lock lever trying to force it with no luck. When activating the door locks with the fob I can feel the lock activating but it won’t unlock. I just haven’t yet figured out what I’m gonna do about it Joe.
There's a lil rod that goes from lock on inside handle to lock on door. Can you take off handle on inside and access that? Maybe push on rod to disengage lock.

There's a lil rod that goes from lock on inside handle to lock on door. Can you take off handle on inside and access that? Maybe push on rod to disengage lock.

There's a rod that goes to the outside handle. It's a cable that goes to the inside handle.

I’ve tried pulling on the inside lock cable. I’ve tried accessing it from behind the door panel, no luck. I even tried to force the panel off knowing I’d destroy it but that door panel is tougher than I am and I couldn’t break it off! I can put my hand on the door and activate the locks with the switch and I feel the “thump” on the door and hear it working but I can’t get it to unlock.

If the trim panel is already damaged beyond repair, use a Dremel and cut it open/off.

(Yes, the trim panels are impressively tough. The ones on my BMW fell apart on their own.)

About the first video...
Why would you cut into the battery cable when you can get to a bare battery terminal just by pulling back the carpet at the front passenger footwell?

because it still gets posted every single time and people think its simple, despite this meaning they already have access to the interior. If you have access to the interior, you have access under the hood and access to several better options in both, some without even requiring any disassembly.

Besides having more ignition keys and fobs, the cheapest, no hassle option is getting a $2 H75P key (or whatever an E150 takes) or two from any hardware store. It doesn't have a chip and won't start the car, but it gives you access to all the locks and ignition. Of course, things get a little tricky when the trunk lock is different, but the previous paragraph covers that

If the trim panel is already damaged beyond repair, use a Dremel and cut it open/off.

(Yes, the trim panels are impressively tough. The ones on my BMW fell apart on their own.)

Well the panel isn’t damaged, yet, but I’m painfully aware I’ll have to get Medieval on it to get it off. I have two other cars I can drive so I’m just gonna rethink the best way to do this with the least amount of damage.

Members online

No members online now.
Back