HELP FINDING A REPLACEMENT 5R55S TRANSMISSION

jberbrich

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. After 177k miles, it's time to replace the ole 5r55s in my 2003 LS V8 Sport. I'm sure it needs a minimum of a new front pump and servo bore work. Please advise of good sources for quality used or rebuilt transmissions. Are the V6 transmissions identical? Which years/models (V6/V8) should I be searching for? Thanks to all.

You need a V6 from 2003 to 2005. It would probably be better to get yours rebuilt by someone who knows the weaknesses of the transmission and can correct them. That's what I did.

You need a V6 from 2003 to 2005. It would probably be better to get yours rebuilt by someone who knows the weaknesses of the transmission and can correct them. That's what I did.

Thanks Joe. I want to get the trans working properly before I give the car to my daughter.

Hey Joe. What weaknesses and solutions should I mention to repair shops other than the worn servo bores? I already replaced the solenoid pack. Thanks

Hey Joe. What weaknesses and solutions should I mention to repair shops other than the worn servo bores? I already replaced the solenoid pack. Thanks

If they are not already very familiar with the 5r55x transmissions, I would go somewhere else.
It's mainly the servos, the solenoid valves, and some valve body springs.

If they are not already very familiar with the 5r55x transmissions, I would go somewhere else.
It's mainly the servos, the solenoid valves, and some valve body springs.

Thanks again Joe for being so attentive and helpful. You've help me keep my 2003 running all for over 15 years.

Members online

Back