2005 Lincoln LS V8

Lincoln LS V8 hesitant acceleration from stop.

• Fuel Filter has been changed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nathan Leach

LVC Member
Reaction score
F8DD820D-B7D4-47B9-BEFF-E77D0BBBEFEE.jpeg
Hello everyone just bought a 2005 Lincoln LS with 166K on it. The car drives good and idles good but when accelerating from a stop the car seems to hesitate. I have read other threads related to this issue most said coils or fuel filter but I ran a live Diagnostic and it shows no misfire on any cylinder in the last ten engine cycles also shows no misfire when viewed live. I also changed the fuel filter in the wheel well still having the problem. There are no active engine codes. Please help driving me nuts trying to hunt it down.

Further searching and you would find many threads on marginal coils causing problems, yet never throwing a misfire code. Only way to truly know is having them tested at a dealer which is costly.

You could try cleaning the MAF sensor and replacing air filter and seeing if it helps. If not, then it’s a 99% chance it’s a coil and spark plug replacement.

Luckily 03-05 had a recall and coils are tested and replaced for free, buuuut, only the ones that fail the bench test are replaced and it’s well known that once one goes, it effects the others so you’re best off just replacing the full set yourself.

Good luck

Almost forgot. You can rent a fuel pressure gauge for free and hook it up to fuel rail to rule out the filter and pump. Pressure should be ~35-40 psi IIRC, and should have a small dip when accelerating but immediately respond. Others might chime in on the exact PSI measurements.

...Luckily 03-05 had a recall and coils are tested and replaced for free, buuuut, only the ones that fail the bench test are replaced and it’s well known that once one goes, it effects the others so you’re best off just replacing the full set yourself.

Good luck

No longer an option. The time for the extended coil warranty (not a recall) has expired for even the last LS ever made.

I have found that running the key on engine running self test and then pulling the misfire precounts will sometimes show marginal coils. Any cylinder with a precount higher than zero has a problem.

I made an appt. at the Ford dealer in town to have them test the coils. If one is bad I will just replace all 8 and plugs myself. I tried erevythjng else besides the fuel pressure gauge set up. Hopefully they find a bad coil and then I will be able to move on. Will keep this thread up to date on what they find thank you for the quick responses and all the info.

No longer an option. The time for the extended coil warranty (not a recall) has expired for even the last LS ever made.

I wasn’t sure what it was referred to as (TSB, recall, or something else). Being a Gen I owner I didn’t know it had an expiration date on the warranty. Was it just x amount of years after manufacture date?

Looks like a nice car! I have a v6 that did the same as yours and it was a leak in the PCV hose.

I have an identical car to yours, less 40k miles. I'm the second owner, owned it for ten years, and mine has had that hesitation since I've owned it. Despite coil problems, transmission problems, intake leaks, etc, none of the issues seemed related nor effected that hesitation you describe. I own several cars and six drivers in my family have used this car as their primary at some point and everyone noticed it when comparing to other cars we drive. Although it is not severe and doesn't seem to be an ignition misfiring issue it is slightly annoying, but just chalked it up to an electronic accelerator characteristic. My 93 silverado I've owned since new has the opposite problem, and just thinking of placing your foot on the accelerator gives it a jump from standstill. I've suspected the LS "delay" was transmission related, as in a purposeful designed delay sort of, to ease the torque strain on take off but maybe not. It has become less annoying to me over time as my foot seems to be calibrated to compensate for that slight delay. But I will watch your thread to see if you find a solution out of curiosity. Thanks for bringing it up.

Ford dealer said no problems with coils or injectors. They drained the trans and refilled it made sure the proper amount was in and clean fluid. I filled it with premium fuel and put injector cleaner in it not sure if the previous owner used premium fuel or not. The car isn’t missing or chugging from a stop it just seems slightly hesitant. So I’m back to square one. I’m going from a new truck to the Lincoln so maybe it is a normal amount of hesitation and I’m just not used to it.

What pvc hose?

That's not really relevant since the V8 PCV system is very different from the V6 PCV.
The v8 has only two PCV hoses/tubes, so just check them both. This could be your problem, but it's unlikely.

Did you check your MAF sensor to see if it had any debris on it? It sits just after the air filter on the intake tube. Held on by two screws (I think they’re security type torx head that requires a special bit you can get from some hardware stores or online).

List of importance/likely culprit.
Coils/plugs
MAF
Fuel pump
Throttle body/idle control valve
PCV
ECM

Really after the fuel pump the likelyhood of the remaining options are pretty small. I’d be interested in how the dealer tested the coils and especially the injectors. I doubt they were flow tested

Just for the record... No idle control valve on a 2005.

Just for the record... No idle control valve on a 2005.

That’s right, would help if I paid attention to the original post. Isn’t there a noted problem with the 03-06 throttle body and ignition coils since it’s drive by wire?

I know it’s kind of running in circles with the OP saying he took it to the dealer, but I wonder if they actually did a stress test on the coils.

That’s right, would help if I paid attention to the original post. Isn’t there a noted problem with the 03-06 throttle body and ignition coils since it’s drive by wire?

I know it’s kind of running in circles with the OP saying he took it to the dealer, but I wonder if they actually did a stress test on the coils.

There is, but it does not match with his symptoms. He would be getting ETC failsafe messages.
I agree that the odds are very very low that the dealer did stress testing on the coils. You really can't be sure without the stress testing or at least scoping the ignition.

I have found that running the key on engine running self test and then pulling the misfire precounts will sometimes show marginal coils. Any cylinder with a precount higher than zero has a problem.
Hey Joe, where do I find the procedure for this? Not that I am having any problems, just curious.

The car isn’t missing or chugging from a stop it just seems slightly hesitant. So I’m back to square one. I’m going from a new truck to the Lincoln so maybe it is a normal amount of hesitation and I’m just not used to it.

What kind of hesitation? Are there any issues once you are driving? What about getting on the freeway, say from 25mph to 50-60 or in passing gear (that's what my dad always called it) going from 60-65mph to 75-80 mph. Mine still snaps my head back in both instances. When my 11 year old is with me and I stab it, I freak him out. Last week, I had my 89 year old dad with me, I asked him to get the book out of the glove box and I jumped on it and it threw him to the back of the seat. I got a, "gee thanks, you having fun?" comment. LOL

All that to say, no noticeable hesitation when the car is moving, even with >230k miles. I don't jump on it from a dead stop for fear of over stressing the trans.

Hey Joe, where do I find the procedure for this? Not that I am having any problems, just curious.

There's always the emissions/diagnosis factory manual, but most scan tools will guide you through it.
You do need to wiggle the steering wheel in the middle of the test and turn the AC on and off (or off and on), some scan tools don't mention that.

I have gotten the car back from the dealer they said they cant tell its doing it they said. To the earlier comment about when its doing it. It is only doing it from a dead stop and I am just taking off gradually with even throttle pressure and it almost fells like it's 1/4 throttle before it seems to get any get up. The car don't seem to be running like it is missing. Also the deal I called them back and they said that no stress test was ran. I think I will just replace all 8 coils and plugs with OEM Motorcraft and clean the MAF sensor. After that I am out of ideas unless it is something with the trans.

Did you check your MAF sensor to see if it had any debris on it? It sits just after the air filter on the intake tube. Held on by two screws (I think they’re security type torx head that requires a special bit you can get from some hardware stores or online).

List of importance/likely culprit.
Coils/plugs
MAF
Fuel pump
Throttle body/idle control valve
PCV
ECM

Really after the fuel pump the likelyhood of the remaining options are pretty small. I’d be interested in how the dealer tested the coils and especially the injectors. I doubt they were flow tested

Have not checked MAF sensor that is next on the list and the dealer do not run a stress test on the coils and no test on injectors.

Does anyone know if the transmission shift solenoid could cause a problem like this.

What you describe is not a typical symptom for a solenoid issue, but I don't think that it can be completely ruled out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back