Catalytic Converter rattle

RigsLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Looking for some true, tried and tested recommendations on Catalytic Converters for the LS.

My 04 LSE seems to have come down with a nasty case of rattling from one of the cats.
Driver side cat makes rattling noises. Jacked the car up, while not running I can bang on the converter and duplicate the sound. When it's idling, I managed to pin point the sound directly from that driver side cat.

I'm interesting in any comment or suggestions for aftermarket weld on converters.

Currently on RockAuto, they only supply the entire pipe with a third cat in line.
As I already have the custom exhaust, my third converter is already replaced with a X-pipe.

It's also a large shipping size matter. I'd much rather just buy new LEFT and RIGHT cats and have them welded in.

Any suggestions?
Any success stories?

Thanks in advance

Yeah, knew about Ontario scrapping the emissions testing in April.
Trouble is, registration renewal is due mid January and it's currently 'occasionally' throwing a downstream error.

If I were to hollow them out or delete them, I'd need to run a tune to fool the downstream sensors.

Going to have to try my luck with some aftermarket weld-in cats but for now, it's parked until next year spring.

Might just part it out with intentions of saving the LSE package on it.
Salvage the 'near new' Visteon coils and K&N intake, wheels and such.

<shrugs>

Yeah, knew about Ontario scrapping the emissions testing in April.
Trouble is, registration renewal is due mid January and it's currently 'occasionally' throwing a downstream error.

If I were to hollow them out or delete them, I'd need to run a tune to fool the downstream sensors.

Going to have to try my luck with some aftermarket weld-in cats but for now, it's parked until next year spring.

Might just part it out with intentions of saving the LSE package on it.
Salvage the 'near new' Visteon coils and K&N intake, wheels and such.

<shrugs>
How ya doing Rigs,
I would keep her! The LSE is a hard car to come by...only had one experience to by the LSE it was a 1st Gen 2002 I believe black on black it was a beauty almost had it bought then at the last minute the guy realized what he had and took it off the market... The LS is a hot mess in so many ways but the LSE is very unique

You could part it, but whats it worth?

Did you ever try running that aggressive tune? Not sure how it would affect the sensors.
I'd find out if deleting the Cats could work. If so, roll with it. If not, I'd look for the cheapest aftermarket I could find and hollow it out for performance. Upgrade the headers while I'm in there, and tune it accordingly. With the right amount of searching, could be done for cheap.
But if you can fool the downstream sensors, or bypass them entirely, I would so do that.

Last edited:
How ya doing Rigs,
I would keep her! The LSE is a hard car to come by ...

Hey Mr. Dutch, hope all it well with you. Not doing too bad here, getting ready to settle in for another 5mths of Canadian winter. I'm going to hang onto that 04 LSE until spring anyhow. I've done bodywork on the rear wheel fenders twice now and it's not showing any signs up letting up. Tough to get all that cancer out unless it's soda/sand blasted right out, so leaving even the smallest amount of rust in the bare metal only means it will come back. She's also a little brittle on the rear lift points. Been lifting it by the pumpkin gently instead.

All in all it's low miles (147K kms) on that and it's still got some life left in it but as we all know, these are pesky aging cars. I'd love it if it was only 5yrs old compared to going on 15yrs. I did a compound polish on it this past summer and the black really shined nicely. Always fun to try and keep black paint clean.

I'll most likely just experiment with some aftermarket cats on it. Not reading much on here with respect to good options. Shame cats have to be so pricey. Given the trans shifts a bit hard when going from P to D, D to N and so on when the fluids are warmed up, I give it little time before the next open wallet. I'll try and see what next spring holds for this thing.

You could part it, but whats it worth?
kidding me? just the front bumper cover is worth it but I'd want to hold onto the LSE package for either my 01 or another 2nd GEN down the road. If not, the whole LSE package would be worth at least close to a grand. Originally I bought it for 1300$ with the intend of only being interested in the LSE stuff but a new set of Visteon coils, plugs and a K&N intake made me keep it and drive it instead.

This was that 04 LSE that the previous OP had spend 2700$ at the dealership and was pulling his hair because they still couldn't get it to run right (this is what happens when you bring a misfiring LS to a dope dealership, they are only permitted to change the coil that fails the stress test. they'd leave the old plug in it on top of that). New TB didn't fix the issue either and he was not about to take the 'needs a new PCM' advise next. Issues related to ETC fail safe limp mode and false TB codes is all related to marginal failing coils distorting the nearby not shielded enough PCM. The LSE that I slow milled home in-out of limp mode with my buddies dealer plates on it, with the wife holding up the rear with four ways on. Following day, I had a 'known-good' old coil in #4 and confirmed my believes that all it needed was fresh OEM coils and plugs.

It was well worth the 1300$ I paid for it ... and parting it would still let me have those LSE parts.

Did you ever try running that aggressive tune?

Well yes Sir, (thought we talked about this way back) that aggressive Torri track tune remains loaded on my Silver 01 LS, due in part why it now needs Secondary tentioners and chain. (Another procrastination of mine, still haven't done that to date) ... shift points are hard and quick.

That is also a 1st GEN tune, would not work on an 04.

I'd find out if deleting the Cats could work. If so, roll with it. If not, I'd look for the cheapest aftermarket I could find and hollow it out for performance. Upgrade the headers while I'm in there, and tune it accordingly. With the right amount of searching, could be done for cheap.
But if you can fool the downstream sensors, or bypass them entirely, I would so do that.

Meh, just going to let it sit in the driveway for now, deal with it in the Spring. Not too interested in dumping too much into that LSE given the cancer on the rear fender lips.

We'll see ... a pair of 'affordable' weld-in cats would keep it in the game for a little longer.

Still too many LS'es around here despite scrapping the wife's 03 some time ago when reverse went out on it one day. (this is why I have half a basement full of LS parts Doh!)

My 09 Chevyrado beast is still my go-to ride these days.
Straight piped on a modest lift kit with tons of LED lighting up front.
Upgraded 3&4 band with a line riser into the EPC circuit to fool the shift points.
Bangs all gears when you get on it. Tons of fun also ...

Anyhow, hope you's all doing well these days.
My departure from here is well known and understood and we'll leave it at that.

Just needed some info on aftermarket cats for the LS and possibly sell off some specialty items.

~ tip of the hat @joegr

Last edited:
kidding me? just the front bumper cover is worth it but I'd want to hold onto the LSE package for either my 01 or another 2nd GEN down the road. If not, the whole LSE package would be worth at least close to a grand. Originally I bought it for 1300$
Oh my mistake I mean whats the old LS worth. LSE kit is always worth something, at least can go up on ebay. I always liked the first Gen LSE skirts. Had them on my 02, which were bought off of Sully.

Well yes Sir, (thought we talked about this way back) that aggressive Torri track tune remains loaded on my Silver 01 LS, due in part why it now needs Secondary tentioners and chain.
The Track tune was made by Rob at KBX for SPsully's LS which was a 2001. I thought we were talking about your 2001
Did the track tune damage the tentioners? I ran it for a bit on my ol' 02, never did any engine harm. I did however cause the transmission to slip one night while racing. I assumed the tune was the culprit, returned the LS to stock and it ran fine. Sold it a while after. Never had an issue, my LS had 290,000 kms and ran an eco tune from 2010 - 2015.

I find that the LS fits in with the imported German Luxury cars when it comes to aging. Still look good but reliability is out the window.
One of the reasons I went back to buying an LS is because its V8, RWD, Luxury. Those 3 in combination are only found on $40k (CAD) cars and up.
Ford keeps shoving these 'eco boosted' lies down our throat, and is trying to force their customer base to buy forced inducted motors. Heh... I've already read the terror of the F150 eco boosted models failing at 200k and needing $5,000 + in repairs to rebuild Turbos etc.

Heh a Buddy of mine has a 2017 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost he bought new for $62k. Best part? He's not even getting better fuel mileage vs the 5.0 variant. (well, he said 1 mpg bettter :rolleyes:).

Why on earth, Lincoln hasn't made a 4 door 5.0 Cayote powered car, with 465 HP as found in the Mustang, is beyond me. FoMoCo is run by ants.

Once I'm done with this LS, I'll be moving on to R/T Charger. You get 370HP Hemi, Luxury, RWD. And its spacious. Just waiting for prices to drop :p

... The Track tune was made by Rob at KBX for SPsully's LS ...

10-4 correction, not Torri tune, I now recall you got it from Sully.

... Did the track tune damage the tentioners? ...

Nah, more like my right foot did that. Plus the fact that the 1st GEN carries the 1st revision plastic bodied tentioners, which we all by now should understand, over time, ages within it's own sump and begins to split down the center thus relieving the spring affect of pushing the guide up against the chain to keep tension.

01 with plenty of miles ... was just time for that light ticking under acceleration to surface as the next LS issue.
Part in reason why it's been on the battery tender parked under a cover in the garage. It gets a 15min warm up about once a month but still have to get to fixing, just don't want to ruin the entire motor by continuing to drive it.

It is what it is ...

Members online

No members online now.
Back