Good old IMRC gone bad.

Peterk

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Just asking for some verification ..! have the dreaded 1537 code on my 96 Mark for a bad IRMC. I've done the search here and got a lot of help but I just want to verify that it is the Left side ( passenger side) that this code describes. I'm going to try and check it and lube it first but fear I'll need a decent used one. Wish me luck ! lol

1996 rare and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I found 2 used ones .. one for the right and one for the left. I would like to know if bank one is the left or right side of the engine .. with the left being the passenger side. I assume that a new one is completely unavailable and new cost is around 5 to 600 bucks with about 600 or more in labor. I know buying used is risky but the person said that they will check it out to make sure it's working before they send it.
One more question : will I damage the engine by running it this way ? I just drove 30 miles tonight with no code but on the way home it threw the code again.

I found 2 used ones .. one for the right and one for the left. I would like to know if bank one is the left or right side of the engine .. with the left being the passenger side. I assume that a new one is completely unavailable and new cost is around 5 to 600 bucks with about 600 or more in labor. I know buying used is risky but the person said that they will check it out to make sure it's working before they send it.
One more question : will I damage the engine by running it this way ? I just drove 30 miles tonight with no code but on the way home it threw the code again.
One more : ( sorry folks) is this the right one ?

s-l1600.jpg

i have a 96 and these are things you have to stockpile if you have a 96, it is the freak of all Marks...if IMRC is hung open, it needs to be parked until it is fixed. I have a few of both sides, they are hard to come by along with other 96-only vital parts. I've put about 20k on mine since 2006. It's garaged. Has springs not bags. It can be driven, but if it needs a VLCM or ECM or IMRC, you have to have spares for 96. Or, be creative.

You do left and right on engine from sitting in drivers seat. Bank 1 is pass side and right side.

Just asking for some verification ..! have the dreaded 1537 code on my 96 Mark for a bad IRMC. I've done the search here and got a lot of help but I just want to verify that it is the Left side ( passenger side) that this code describes. I'm going to try and check it and lube it first but fear I'll need a decent used one. Wish me luck ! lol
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the IMRC code you are referencing??

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the IMRC code you are referencing??
Welcome to the Marl VIII board ! Not ignorance at all. I'm relatively new to this engine as well. My Mark was starting badly and threw a code and the CEL came on that my scan tool said was 1357 or bank 1 intake runner stuck closed. Which is a one year only part for the 1996 model. They are very hard to find but I lucked out and got a used one on ebay. I have a feeling that the problem may be a vacuum leak in the intake manifold or maybe elsewhere but, just in case, I bought the IRMC actuator. I am having a vacuum smoke test done first to confirm next Tuesday.

You do left and right on engine from sitting in drivers seat. Bank 1 is pass side and right side.
Thanks. When I did a search, on one of the posts that came up, one person said left and right from in front of the engine while another said from the back.I got confused .. easy for an old duffer like myself !

Thanks. When I did a search, on one of the posts that came up, one person said left and right from in front of the engine while another said from the back.I got confused .. easy for an old duffer like myself !
Thanks for enlightening me. Didn't realize an intake runner could be blocked.

Stick a 1/4 or 1/8th inside dia rubber hose on the suction port of any imrc you want to buy. Then suck on it and if the plunger arm moved, then its a good one. Its the rubber diaphram that breaks inside them get a rupture(hole or tear). I have talked to a guy from Long Isl. who said he had his opened up and patched the diaphram (car ran o.k but 3 months later repair gave way. Its no 600 if you do it . Just get a book and buy the gaskets. bolts come out easily. Try leaving each bolt in it respective hole, you'll miss a few but have most of them .Get on pull a pars web site and look all olver the nation for 96 mark 8's. You may get luckey and find one near where you live. Run out , do not walk, and get it fast. They sell them as choke pull offs for 5 to 10 dollars

i have a 96 and these are things you have to stockpile if you have a 96, it is the freak of all Marks...if IMRC is hung open, it needs to be parked until it is fixed. I have a few of both sides, they are hard to come by along with other 96-only vital parts. I've put about 20k on mine since 2006. It's garaged. Has springs not bags. It can be driven, but if it needs a VLCM or ECM or IMRC, you have to have spares for 96. Or, be creative.
The imrc opens up at 3 ,ooo rpms for a more improved mix. Thats all it does. No need to park it . Its will run lean . I drove mine off and on for 3 years until found a part. Nothing happened to the engine so it do not need to be parked. Alll it do is enrich gas mix when its running correctly. It just makes for a lean mix but not enough to burn a valve.

The imrc opens up at 3 ,ooo rpms for a more improved mix. Thats all it does. No need to park it . Its will run lean . I drove mine off and on for 3 years until found a part. Nothing happened to the engine so it do not need to be parked. Alll it do is enrich gas mix when its running correctly. It just makes for a lean mix but not enough to burn a valve.

Stick a 1/4 or 1/8th inside dia rubber hose on the suction port of any imrc you want to buy. Then suck on it and if the plunger arm moved, then its a good one. Its the rubber diaphram that breaks inside them get a rupture(hole or tear). I have talked to a guy from Long Isl. who said he had his opened up and patched the diaphram (car ran o.k but 3 months later repair gave way. Its no 600 if you do it . Just get a book and buy the gaskets. bolts come out easily. Try leaving each bolt in it respective hole, you'll miss a few but have most of them .Get on pull a pars web site and look all olver the nation for 96 mark 8's. You may get luckey and find one near where you live. Run out , do not walk, and get it fast. They sell them as choke pull offs for 5 to 10 dollars

I got one on Ebay .. there were two others left one right ..one left both around 130.00. The guy I bought it from is a member here and said that he would test it first .. I will also.

car has a maf, and oxygen sensors, it knows how much air is going into the engine, and how much fuel to use.

what the IMRC plates do, is block the short runners so the air going into the valves has a higher velocity.
it does not have a direct effect on the amount of air entering the engine.

this lack of intake velocity is in part why the B heads do not make torque numbers like a c head will.

Members online

Back