Transmission Problems

Pudgy21

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello guys and gals, I am new to the forum and I’m hoping you can help me. I bought my 2003 Lincoln LS about 2 months ago. I love it to death. But last week I noticed I have a really hard upshift into 2nd gear and when it shifts to third it stutters and then goes. The hard shift only happens when it gets warm and there is no dash lights (CEL). I am extremely confused and could really use some help. The Car is a 2003 Lincoln LS V8 (125,000 miles). Thanks in Advance.

-Ryan

I had similar symptoms, and it was worn out clutches - full transmission rebuild - 190K miles

Of course, yours might be less drastic, but I doubt that it can be diagnosed without a good scan tool, pressure gauges, and dropping the pan.

Stay away from the chain shops like All Automatics Must Come Out. Find a good local independent with experience with recent Mustangs or Thunderbirds and LSes.

I had similar symptoms, and it was worn out clutches - full transmission rebuild - 190K miles

Of course, yours might be less drastic, but I doubt that it can be diagnosed without a good scan tool, pressure gauges, and dropping the pan.

Stay away from the chain shops like All Automatics Must Come Out. Find a good local independent with experience with recent Mustangs or Thunderbirds and LSes.

I am going to school to be a Ford Mechanic, I have the access to the Ford Intergeated Diagnostic Scan tool. And I am okay with dropping the pan but I just wanted to see if anyone else had had this issue and what it had turned out to be. I heard a lot about the bad solenoid bodies and the pcm going bad. Are those possible suspects?

..I heard a lot about the bad solenoid bodies and the pcm going bad. Are those possible suspects?

Yes, as well as a spring in the valve body.

Of course, there is also the possibility of worn out servo bores and/or broken servos.

Do you know of any other transmissions that will bolt up? I’m fine with replacing the transmission but I don’t want to replace it just to have the same problems. If that makes sense.

The 5r55s is all you can use. 2nd gen LS and 2nd gen Thunderbird.

I don't know about a specific kit, but there are parts to fix the transmission's weakness. For example, you drill out the servo bores in the aluminum case and drive steal sleeves in to correct that weakness. There are improved springs and valve body gaskets too. The newer rev (such as in the 05/06s) are better than the 03/04 solenoid assemblies too.
The good rebuilders that are familiar with this transmission address all the weaknesses.

There is a pretty good thread on here somewhere with pictures that details some/most? of the changes to make when rebuilding.

Do they make rebuild kits that are “beefier” so to speak?
Agree with Joegr as usual ...
The over-drive is going out... Soon the check transmission light and a code with a Torque Converter failure due to not enough pressure to lock it in ... Just my experience with my Gen 1 LS different transmission but both 5r55 but still different part number and not identical I'm sure the hard shift you experience is the 2nd gear over-drive locking in the over-drive/ torque converter with thump pretty good when you hot 55-60mph ...hoping it's just a solenoid pack otherwise like Joe said complete rebuild $2500-$3100 average ...it's a complex transmission

125k is not a lot of miles. You could just try a drain, filter, solenoid pack, and refill for about $300-400... and hope you get lucky. At 136k mine was doing a bank/clunk delayed downshift to first gear when coming to a stop... and the above fixed it. However if the fluid is dark when drained that's probably not a good sign.

Hi I have a 2004 Ls Ultamite package at 65,000 I had to replace the solenoid pack .. 2 months ago had to replace cars computer at 1200.00 because of transmission problems I thought it was just the solenoid pack again..but the cars computer is to in one part of it engine and part of it transmission.. Also the reason it was 1200.00 people are now starting to hoard them..

Well shit now you tell me ..lol ..but the problem is I had to it fast because I moved to ATL and had 2 days before my birthday to do it and they would not give me a extension. in ATL you need to pass emissions and with a 15 yr old car that's not always easy... and 2nd with a LS I have never seen a car that when one thing go's wrong it makes it look like many thing are wrong...

Members online

No members online now.
Back