Programming remote Key Fob with FORSCAN program /ELM327

thebigguy1

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, so I have my ForSCAN program, and one working key for my 2001 Lincoln LS. I need to program a new remote key fob to work with the car, however I only have one working key and I am not sure if I need to to working working keys to program the remote key fob, or does that matter? Any help would be greatly appreciated .... I do have the one working key, the new key fob and the ForScan program and adapter.

Thanks, really appreciated!

Ron

Personally, I would want at least two working keys, but this has nothing to do with the remote.
Remotes and keys are separate. You don't have to do anything with the one, to do anything with the other.

You need at least two keys to do any key programming (you can't set just one, but if you have one, you can add another with Forscan).
You can program a single remote.

Thank you joegr! You answered one of my questions before abut a related matter and I truly appreciate it. And I don't know why I did not think of that key, will have to purchase a second key. I guess then all I have to do is nose around in forscan and see how it's done.....

Thanks again!

Ron

So, what part did you disagree with?

Oh no, I didn't disagree with anything, sorry about that! I was saying that maybe I should get a second key and program two keys along with the Key Fob. For the life of me I cannot figure out how that key fob died in the first place and everything else works fine... And again thank you!

Ron

It's not what you said, but that you marked it as "disagree."
No big thing, just wanting to understand.

Clumsy fingers here, I didn't even realize I done that. :) wish me luck I'm going to go after that key fob programming tomorrow...
Regards.
Ron

Speaking of keyfob programming, I thought I'd post here instead of making a new thread about it (apologies if this is thread hijacking)

Just wanted to know how do you figure out the entry code to the Gen II door pad?

Thanks joegr! I was able to program the Key fob with ForScan and the adapter.....it was so effortless it was scary.

I have one more question if I may ..... I do have the one working ignition key, and I purchased one blank transponder key. When I check in Forscan in the PATS section I do see where there are three keys programmed into the system, and it does give me the option for "Spare Key Programming" .... Enabled. Can I just program in the spare key without having to remove the existing keys? Or do I have to clear all the keys and re-program? It makes me nervous to clear out a perfectly good ignition key.....and again, thanks!

Ron

...Can I just program in the spare key without having to remove the existing keys? Or do I have to clear all the keys and re-program? It makes me nervous to clear out a perfectly good ignition key.....and again, thanks!

Ron

Unfortunately, you have to erase all keys to be able to add more keys when you don't have two working (already programmed) keys with you.
There is about a ten minute delay in the process (to make it inconvenient for car thieves), and the ignition has to be in the run position the whole time. I put a 2A/10A battery charger on while I was doing it. (It shouldn't be required, but I was very nervous about it too.)

Members online

Back