So I seem to have an odd issue with wipers

lincoln_zero

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I just noticed that intermittent doesn't work. Auto works, regular speed and full speed works. just not intermittent.

The car has a safety with the garage I bought it from, and they have to honor the safety. But they're in London On. and that a 2.5 hour drive, i'd rather fix this if its simple. Anyone know what could cause the intermittent to not work?

I would think that the wipers have to work on low and high for safety, but that intermittent is optional.
Does your 04 have rain sensing wipers? (very few did).

If not, then it's the multi-function switch, wiring, or the wiper smart motor. There's no need to guess on which. It's easy to determine with a multi-meter.

Okay, so I think you said that you do have rain sensing wipers.
The sensor is bad, incorrectly attached to the windshield, or you have the wrong replacement windshield.

Okay, so I think you said that you do have rain sensing wipers.
The sensor is bad, incorrectly attached to the windshield, or you have the wrong replacement windshield.

Yeah I have the rain sensors.
The windshield says Lincoln on it, It appears to be OEM Lincoln.

I checked the sensor by covering it with my hand and the switch set to auto, and the wipers move. How does the sensor affect the intermittent?

My understanding is that there is no manual intermittent setting. You can only adjust how sensitive to rain it is. If you unplug the rain sensor, it should revert to manual intermittent.

Also, you can't have rain-x or such on the windshield at and near the sensor.

Oh... ill go try that, then. Ill leave on intermittent and cover the sensor to see if it works.

You mean I cant use rain X washer fluid?

I don't think that covering the sensor is going to do anything. It senses the reflection of IR that it generates back from the glass. When there is a drop of water on the glass where the sensor points, it changes the angle of reflection so that not as much IR is reflected/deflected back to the receiver.

Anything that keeps water from sticking to the glass where the sensor is will degrade its performance.

So I tested the intermittent, and 100% it works. I poured water over the sensor and it engaged. I had no idea that it was auto sensitivity. My old first gen (2002) had auto wipers and the intermittent was always on, just different speeds.

Well thank you joegr once again sir! I now feel more educated lol

Members online

Back