Wet / Dry performance tire recommendations

Broseph

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. Looking for recommendations on tires for wet / dry traction. Not worried about winter since this car really should have dedicated winter tires, plus I don't drive in heavy snow.

Most threads are outdated to have current model tires, so I'm seeing what everyone recommends for performance in the above conditions as well as longevity. I don't mind spending 250-300 a tire as long as it lasts the stated 30 - 40k.

So far I've heard mixed things on Michellin being good but falling well short on tread wear (Defender, A/S sport, HMX4 ect). I have Brigdestone Potenza on two wheels which are decent tires, but I'm looking for a little better performance, although Bridgestone may have improved in the last 4 years.

Fire away

LOL... no I'm not stalking you. Your post is timed well,,, as it's tire time again for me. I have gone through 2 sets of Continental Extreme Contact DWS, and have no compaints about them. However, I rotate them, (alternate cross rotate and F-R rotation), every 5000 mile oil change.

Been getting 60K miles out of each set, (Z rated and running 40psi), and that's saying alot the way I drive, and they work well in the snow too. I'll drive in 6" of powder on the highway and still feel confident. About $800 for a set of 4, mounted and balanced OTD. Make sure whatever tires you buy,,, that the shop can road force balance them.

ExtremeContact DWS - 235/50R17 96W | Continental

Last I knew... Ford was running a tire sale on these and they will price match... and the dealer would be a better place to get an alignment, (while your there), for roughly another $90. OTOH... most chain tire stores have better standard warranty service, while the dealer will unconditionally cover a tire for only one year, (Continental's warranty last I knew).

Just my .02C

I’ve heard decent things about Continentals as far as traction. Road noise I think was the biggest complaint.

I’ll keep these in mind on the short list since I’ve seen them recommended a few times on the forum several years back

Just turn up the stereo. :D Seriously though,,, I only notice it at high speeds on concrete highways. Then again,,, mabe I have become immune to it over the last 120k.

Check out the comparison of Michelin Premier A/S, Continental PureContact and Pirelli Cinturato P7 on TireRack.com. I bought the Michelin Premier V rated for my Dodge Durango and I'm very satisfied with them. Planning to buy them for the LS once the current tires need replacement, however, looks like the 235/50-17 are not available, so, I may have to inquire if the 245/50-17 would be of no issue as far as fit with no rubbing when turning or otherwise - the mph speedometer error would be about 0.5 mph. The tire rating is equivalent to like a 60K miles tire, but with us driving about 3,000 to 5,000 miles per year on each car, they would probably need to be replaced due to age rather than wear.

Last edited:
I’ve heard decent things about Continentals as far as traction. Road noise I think was the biggest complaint.

I’ll keep these in mind on the short list since I’ve seen them recommended a few times on the forum several years back
I had Continentals and a bad rear alignment tore them up fast, like 1000 miles fast. Tires were toast. Same happened to a buddies friend. I now have Pirelli P Zero All Season and their grip is amazing on wet and dry pavement. Only thing I don't like is that I can feel EVERYTHING on the road. Seems like more of a performance tire over a cruising tire.

So you're blaming the tires, when the alignment was the issue??? Any tire will suffer from a bad alignment. On top of that, different tires within the manufacturer, are made differently. You didn't state which Continentals you had. I'll bet when you put the Pirelli's on... you had the vehicle re-aligned.

So you're blaming the tires, when the alignment was the issue??? Any tire will suffer from a bad alignment. On top of that, different tires within the manufacturer, are made differently. You didn't state which Continentals you had. I'll bet when you put the Pirelli's on... you had the vehicle re-aligned.

The Continentals were Extreme Contact DWS 06...and of course I got an alignment with the Pirelli's. If you want even more information, it was bad tie rods that caused the rear end alignment issue. I wasn't blaming anything on the tires I was sharing what information I had on Continental tires. I understand where you are coming from but you need to re-read your posts and pay closer attention to how you are coming across. Condescension wins you no friends. Period.

If you want even more information, it was bad tie rods that caused the rear end alignment issue.

To me... that was a given.

No condescension meant or intended. If I offened you, I apologize. I just don't see how it is helpful to provide information with incomplete facts. You provided those now,,, so very good. My delivery method is usually forward, blunt, and direct, (say what you mean and mean what you say). Doesn't mean I'm a hater. Hopefully you get used to it. :)

I just had sumitomo htr a/s p02 put on ~3000 miles ago and have had no complaints so far good wet traction... waiting for the NJ snow to test that out. My friend has a honda accord with the same tires on them and they did fantastic in the snow (maybe bc its a fwd car :D)

I just had sumitomo htr a/s p02 put on ~3000 miles ago and have had no complaints so far good wet traction... waiting for the NJ snow to test that out. My friend has a honda accord with the same tires on them and they did fantastic in the snow (maybe bc its a fwd car :D)

I’ll be honest. Never even heard of the brand. I’ll check them out. On the short list discussed above looks like the Michelins look to be the current front runner.

Main complaint for those are ride harshness, which I’m not concerned about. I’ll check out the Sumitomos. Thanks

I have aftermarket wheels so not sure on fit but was very happy with BF Goodrich (now owned by Michelin)
G-FORCE™ COMP-2™ A/S. Great on wet/dry traction, handling, and road noise. Not super long on tire wear however - there is a bit of a trade off in this regard no matter what brand you choose. Currently running the Conti's below and like them - seem to be a bit better on wear but not as good as the G-Force relative to performance in my opinion. Tire Rack is a great resource - go to Research & Advice and then to Tire Rating Charts and Reviews. One Group/type "Performance Category example here:
surveydisplay.jsp
Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

Last edited:
Different sizes of the same model tire can behave VERY differently on different cars. IMO, don't pick a brand based on reviews of a very different model of that brand in another car (positive or negative).

This won't help you with your wet/dry question, but I got Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's as my summer set, for anyone else that's looking. Very pleased with the performance, but not so pleased with the look. In 235/50R17 they look like you're running on big squishy tractor tubes if you run them at the stock 30 PSI (and make me worry that I actually have a flat). A larger rim and smaller aspect ratio should take care of that though. Amazing feeling though, but a huge waste in Pothole City over here.

Title says it all. Looking for recommendations on tires for wet / dry traction.

I've been through a lot of tires... I mean a lot.. Some big brand name, others were smaller names.

I will confidently say, the best tires I ever bought were Kumho Ecsta PS31 Y/ZR rated. They are silica tires and I buried my needle at 260 km/h no issue. These tires are cornering beasts.

For winter tires the Nankang SV1's were flipping amazing.

Other than that, I've now begun using Sailun/Jinyu. They are pretty good, only tried them on my Chrysler 300. Running the YS 82 W rated.
Sailun is the parent company of Jinyu. Sailun has some really nice summers on their webset, worth checking out.

I checked out the kumho, as well as the continentals and 1 or 2 pirellis and a pair of Bridgestones. All the reviews and information I could find had the Michellin Pilots A/S3+ rated higher, in some cases by a significant margin.

So, Michellin is the route I ended up going since I got a pretty good deal online including a rebate.

So far, no heavy rain to push it, but I only have two mounted as the Bridgestone Turanzas still have a little life so next spring will be the real test when I put on the other two.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions

Members online

Back