94 Mark VIII transmission rebuild or swap

BC Mark VIII

LVC Member
Reaction score
hey guys,,need to get the trans in my 94 Mark rebuilt(no drive or od,,160,000 kilometers))..I have a donor trans,also needs rebuild, from a 96 mustang gt(apparently lost 1st or 2nd gear,unknown mileage)..I am told it will swap directly into my car with no mods needed..is this true? if so,is there any reason I should rebuild and use the 96 instead or maybe use some parts from it in my 94?

Quoting The Terminator from TCCOA:

"The EPC solenoid and MLPS needs to stay with the PCM programmed for it.
Later model transmissions switched from wires to a circuit board in the trans and would require a harness repin.
Any 4R70W not from a FN10 or MN12 has an 8 tooth output shaft.
93-95 are junk. 96-97 is better, still not the best choice. 98 is better. 99-04 is preferred. "

I would learn to rebuild and put the 96 in it. Use a ratcheting OWC. Buy a SURE CURE kit.

Wisest choice from my experience is to find a transmission man who rebuilds them in his own garage with you removing and replacing it once its one. Get a new torque converter when you do it. I had one on a gran am done for 550.00 and its been 2 years with no problems. Forget the switch a roo. Forget the learn as I go . Forget buying one out of the car. Buy one 98 from a totaled out car that runs so you can be certain its good. I have tried to economize before wound up with junk tranny and another replacement costing me more than letting a pro do the rebuild. This is no easy fast way but usually the hardest way is the best way

IF the car is not a daily driver, there's something to be said for learning something new. I digress, pay MORE than $500 for a replacement transmission.

I would just find a nice used good trans for $200 and install that. I have a 93 and a 97 trans just hanging around.

IF the car is not a daily driver, there's something to be said for learning something new. I digress, pay MORE than $500 for a replacement transmission.
Since the car is not needed for everyday transportation that changes the picture. Go ahead and buy the kit . You can ask questions as you get stumped and have time to stop until you get an answer. I have never rebuilt one . Pictures I have see show all the parts laid out on a hospital clean table on a white cloth in straight row. The cleaner the parts the better results. Did you fell 500 for a rebuilt, not replacement transmission was too high?

car is my usual daily driver..wish I could buy a used trans from someone but these cars are a rarity up here in Canada..friend of friend trans shop is going to do rebuild..$1400.did my buddy's supercharged Mark VII trans with top notch results.and I had recent fusion back surgery so gonna have to pay them for the re&re as well..another $600...+getting a deal on new torque converter through friend's hotrod shop..new free trans cooler..and if they don't know or are not willing to do jmod,then will buy transgo shift kit,bout a 100 buck up here..credit cards are going to take a beating as I've been off work now for a year with at least a few months to go

car is my usual daily driver..wish I could buy a used trans from someone but these cars are a rarity up here in Canada..friend of friend trans shop is going to do rebuild..$1400.did my buddy's supercharged Mark VII trans with top notch results.and I had recent fusion back surgery so gonna have to pay them for the re&re as well..another $600...+getting a deal on new torque converter through friend's hotrod shop..new free trans cooler..and if they don't know or are not willing to do jmod,then will buy transgo shift kit,bout a 100 buck up here..credit cards are going to take a beating as I've been off work now for a year with at least a few months Being laid up and out of work cetainly makes getting your mark more expensive and harder to keep the costs down. Being a daily, I see you have to get it on the road a.s.a.p.My lady has chroinc back pain and is in the begining stages of an operation with a neuro surgen. Is you pain gone now that you had surgery? Or is it too early to know. Was the 1400 with out remove and replace labor charges?

BILLBOATS..I got lucky and had one of the best neurosurgeons in the business.does one of these operations on a weekly basis(L4-S1 fusion) + removed some of the vertebrae to allow for future inflammation without impingement .nerve pain completely gone immediately..was easy to tell..the nerve is attached to my left nut which felt like someone was wacking it with a small pointed hammer all day long..COMPLETE RELIEF as I'm sure you guys could imagine..physio is long slow process but 6 months in and making progress everyday..looking forward to riding my motorcycles and having a normal life again..as for trans.,no,re&re is another 600 on top of 1400 rebuild..things are expensive here in the lower Mainland BC,Canada..best of luck to your lady,,relief is a beautiful thing

BILLBOATS..I got lucky and had one of the best neurosurgeons in the business.does one of these operations on a weekly basis(L4-S1 fusion) + removed some of the vertebrae to allow for future inflammation without impingement .nerve pain completely gone immediately..was easy to tell..the nerve is attached to my left nut which felt like someone was wacking it with a small pointed hammer all day long..COMPLETE RELIEF as I'm sure you guys could imagine..physio is long slow process but 6 months in and making progress everyday..looking forward to riding my motorcycles and having a normal life again..as for trans.,no,re&re is another 600 on top of 1400 rebuild..things are expensive here in the lower Mainland BC,Canada..best of luck to your lady,,relief is a beautiful thing
I have visited Newfoundland and nova scotia , the cost of staying , ferry crossing round trip and gas for rental car were very expensive A 3 week trip by plane ran me about 3000.00. Another trip by car to Nova scotia ran over 1900 for a 7 day round trip.I dropped a car off and paid for a plane home Stayed on moncton ca where econo lodge was 90.00 a night. Since those trips I stay in the US. Glad you back is healing and allowing you to be pain free. I priced a rebuild in Barberton Ohio for ,my mark and it was 1300.00 about 3 years ago. That was them doing the trany and rebuild .

Year
Part
Model Description Miles Part
Grade
Stock# US
Price
Dealer Info Dist
mile
Transmission Assembly
Lincoln Mark III 88,354--km--142,277 A 06-2207-94 267.51
--Can--
$350.00 Pieces d'Autos Marcil - No US Shipping Can-QC(St-Thomas-de Joliett) Request_Quote 450-753-9633 / 800-493-9633 Request_Insurance_Quote
LiveChat_space.gif

Year
Part
Model Description Miles Part
Grade
Stock# US
Price
Dealer Info Dist
mile
Transmission Assembly
Lincoln Mark III 88,354--km--142,277 A 06-2207-94 267.51
--Can--
$350.00 Pieces d'Autos Marcil - No US Shipping Can-QC(St-Thomas-de Joliett) Request_Quote 450-753-9633 / 800-493-9633 Request_Insurance_Quote
View attachment 828570271 229
Thanks for the site info.will keep it in mind.unfortunately,I am on the other side of the country..British Columbia..first hill on Canada side of the border over looking Blaine Washington

Quoting The Terminator from TCCOA:

"The EPC solenoid and MLPS needs to stay with the PCM programmed for it.
Later model transmissions switched from wires to a circuit board in the trans and would require a harness repin.
Any 4R70W not from a FN10 or MN12 has an 8 tooth output shaft.
93-95 are junk. 96-97 is better, still not the best choice. 98 is better. 99-04 is preferred. "

I would learn to rebuild and put the 96 in it. Use a ratcheting OWC. Buy a SURE CURE kit.

Ive never heard of thr MLPS or the EPC being programmed to the PCM.

I add this to every trans rebuild thread but transmissionbench has great cheap kits with good instructions, you may need additional parts like reverse and OD bands or the sure cure kit (mainly the OD servo) and along with a good inspection to assess the need for any additional parts. A new torque converter thats stock can be had for $100 and i would recommend an external cooler

Members online

Back