Learn from my mistake.....

RockLSonDubz

LVC Member
Reaction score
First off I'm a 2000 LS6 automatic owner and have done everything a person could do to take care of any and all mechanical,electrical and misc issues that come from any vehicle that was serviced amd modded at Disneyland by Mickey Mouse Mechanics.
I've put a lot of time,money and love into my LS making into a pretty customized and reliable head turner ;but this last month has been ruthlessly expensive because of the most simple and cheap problems.
First off my key wouldn't turn the ignition most the time then not at all unless I treated my key like a bump key with a rubber mallet. So right away I scoped the condition of my key and noticed it was a bit bent and looked pretty worn.
I went to the dealership to get a key cut from code and while I was there I scheduled my car to get a pair of key fobs programmed.
One was 3$ shipped on Ebay the other identical fob was from Ford and cost 90$! First the idiot cut the key from my bad key ;but didn't tell me that he did. I told him specifically to cut it by code (after reading around the forums and reading that specifically repeatedly mentioned).
I thought the new key was cut from code and when it didn't turn in the ignition either I then assumed it was the ignition and broken tumblers.
Next day (well a few days later because the dealership couldn't program the fobs and despite me telling them about the real deal with Gen 1 LS requiring IDS software to program fobs they kept trying the gen 2 procedure cycling the ignition).
Anyways next I took the car to a locksmith who scoffed at what the dealership charged me and said rebuilding my ignition and replacing tumblers would be cheap. My bill from him was over $200 after he was done and the worst part is all I needed was a key cut from code as my key had worn down a quarter inch at the tip.
But the locksmith damaged my pats transeiver while working on my ignition and I started getting pats vehicle disabled no crank with flashing pats light.
At this time I had no clue what the issue was, my laptop and odb2 scanner were packed in storage. The car had been great so I hadn't needed it on hand.
After more tows back to the dealership who never fixed the problem it just went away so they said it was fixed ;but again kept my car 5 days trying to program the remote key fobs and unsuccessfully despite me telling them not to bother programming the fobs I just wanted the no crank fixed.
Since then I've been stranded everywhere and when I hooked up my windows 10 laptop to my obd2 usb dongle and scanned I got over a dozen fault codes. Shorts everywhere and I couldn't figure out why, turns out I had the MS CAN switch on the wrong setting.
I finally got only 2 faults now and know for sure the transceiver is what's causing the no start.
Thankfully I ordered 2 for 16$ shipped already and 2 new uncut unprogrammed keys for less than 20$ both Ford and the locksmith were charging about 100$ per key not even programmed! Also the coolest thing ever for Gen 1LS owners, Forscan for Windows can program remote entry key fobs! Plus with the extended license all LS owners have full pats access to service functions of all kinds.
What the dealership and Fords own IDS software couldn't do in weeks Forscan did in seconds.
Long story short if you're at your wits end dealing with some unknown issue don't just throw money at the car because whether or not it actually fixes anything the car will happily eat your money! Lol
Also over this time reading the forums I'm sure has saved me a lot of time and money being able to narrow down things. I'm sure the dealership would have charged me a lot of money to narrow things down for me, thanks a lot to everyone who has contributed to making these forums as great as they are. I really appreciate you guys.

Last edited:
I have Forscan on my Windows laptop w/ extended license and 2 keyfobs from Amazon I would like to program. How is this done?

Thanks!

I have Forscan on my Windows laptop w/ extended license and 2 keyfobs from Amazon I would like to program. How is this done?

Thanks!
It's really easy to do, I'll make a full tutorial today ;but the short of it is you want to select the 4th or 5th tab down from the top after you've connected.
It's below the check list looking icon in the service modules.
Once you're in the right tab you will see keyless entry listed, you high light it then you have to press the bottom button that looks like a play button to intiate the process.
Then next screen shows rows of empty boxes and once click a key fob unlock the fobs code will fill a row of boxes.
I promise I'll make picture and video tutorial in little bit showing it step by step if you can't figure it out. I'm happy someone can make use of it I love having keyless entry. Oh and you only need 1 key

No problem , I'm still going to make a video tutorial showing gen 1 fob programming with Forscan ;but my car is at the dealership it wouldn't start at all Saturday so I had to leave it. I can't wait for my new pats transceiver I'm sick of this headache. Still really stoked I got the remote entry working though it's a major accomplishment.

No problem , I'm still going to make a video tutorial showing gen 1 fob programming with Forscan ;but my car is at the dealership it wouldn't start at all Saturday so I had to leave it. I can't wait for my new pats transceiver I'm sick of this headache. Still really stoked I got the remote entry working though it's a major accomplishment.

Thank you for the information and sharing! I'm about to look for the FORSCAN program, and will check back on this thread when you make your tutorial thank you so much! My key works fine, but my key fob simply stopped working and I bought two Farms off of eBay and I have absolutely no idea how to program them. Any info will help :)

Sorry, I was hoping to ask one more question..... Woupd I need to use FORSCAN to program my REMOTE key fob? My door and ignition key work fine but my remote key fob stopped working, and I bought two new ones but I guess they need to be programmed. Any help is greatly appreciated again! :)

Ron

Sorry, I was hoping to ask one more question..... Woupd I need to use FORSCAN to program my REMOTE key fob? My door and ignition key work fine but my remote key fob stopped working, and I bought two new ones but I guess they need to be programmed. Any help is greatly appreciated again! :)

Ron

Yes, for gen I you will need Forscan to program the car to the new remotes. (It's the car, specifically the DDM, that gets programmed, not the remotes.)

Ron
Hey Ron that's what we're referring to, the Gen 1 00 to 03 LS owners programming keyless entry remote fobs using Forscan rather than the mandatory dealership trip that Gen 1 owners have had to deal with.
My LS was at the dealership for over 8 days last month just for them to try and program keyless entry remote fobs for me.
First it was with my $5 Ebay purchased key fob then I paid almost $100 (without programming) and bought an OEM one from Ford.
It was 100% identical to the Ebay one in every way. Fords latest IDS software kept getting kicked out when they tried programming my keyless entry ;but Forscan for Windows with free Extended License not the Android or Lite versions worked like a charm.
I have the footage recorded and converted to upload I'm just waiting on home internet to get turned on to upload it.
If you have the right OBD2 connector (as in one with MS-CAN switch) and a Windows 10 device to hook it up to in order to run Forscan you can do a lot of stuff that normally only Ford could do. Forscan is in it's own league when it comes to Lincoln LS!
There has been topics on Forscan before ;but given the sheer volume of tests and service tools now available for LS owners especially for Windows users makes it an essential tool for all LS owners.
I can't wait til they figure out how to program through the software and I can write a tune to disable Pats once and for all lol

Hey Ron that's what we're referring to, the Gen 1 00 to 03 LS owners programming keyless entry remote fobs using Forscan rather than the mandatory dealership trip that Gen 1 owners have had to deal with...

Gen 1 is 2000 to 2002
2003 to 2006 is gen 2.

Yeah it would be awesome if Forscan could performance program the car like those expensive gadgets on ebay.

I still have a stock tune and have a CAI i + full exhaust. Probably not running tip top.

There's a few important factors I can't stress enough! Follow these simple guidelines and you will be fine.
First to get the full feature set of Forscan and into Pats or remote entry programming it has to be the Windows version of Forscan with extended license (it's free)!Also for LS you have to buy an obd2 adapter with MS-CAN switch otherwise you could be disappointed. Forscan has a software switch in it's settings ;but it doesn't guarantee compatibility with cheap obd2 adapters.
I bought a USB one with switch for $30 Canadian on Amazon Prime and had it in 2 days.
Make sure in Forscan settings you have the MS-CAN option set or on auto as that can be a way to get nowhere fast (and get a lot of false positive DTC flags that will scare you lol) and Forscan won't tell you it's just a wrong setting.
Also take your time reading the information Windows and warnings ever present in Forscan, it's a very safe user friendly program ;but there are a couple things that could render your car undrivable.
That's all the heads up and warnings I think is really important.
:)

I finally actually solved all my issues {and there was a bunch going on), after replacing the Pats transceiver around ignition, buying altogether 4 keys including one from Ford that cost over 70$ unprogrammed, replacing all front fuse box relays and rear fuse box relays plus after reading forums replaces a 125amp flat black relay tbat on the outside of rear fuse box and the 30amp (there was only a 20 in its place) push on square fuse from slot 22 in rear fuse box and is either Pats or PCM related and lastly made a new ground for my main battery and cleaned up all wiring to battery isolator, after market sub amp and electric fan that all run on 2nd battery.
I think this is very important for Gen 1 owners with electric fan conversions or powerful stereo systems.
Since getting the electric fan and stereo off of my main battery my car is running so much better including more power and a boost to bottom end as well.
I don't think the electrical system was designed to have a huge extra load added. Given the fact our rad fans are not electric adding the extra load of an electric fan to the system makes it struggle especially with 2 Kicker comp 10s with 600 watt RMS Rockford amp plus a 175 watt rms amp running all my aftermarket Pioneer Door and rear speakers plus my Pioneer door pillar mounted tweets plus Pioneer doubledin DVD deck. Needless to say going with an aftermarket alternator creates huge problems for these cars so a second battery, Stinger battery isolator and 2 40 amp flat relays inline to each battery is a cheap and suitable solution.
Any Gen 1 LS owners with converted electric fans should seriously consider adding a 2nd battery. Within a couple hours driving you will notice how much better the car runs!
Take your time and do it right though I over looked a loose/weak ground and spent fhe past month in tow truck bill,dealership,taxi and stuck everywhere hell leaving my car running anytime I stopped places because if I shut it off it probably wont crank again.
Not that all LS's aren't worth stealing if left running unattended ;but my LS is getting pretty done out.
Anyways I hope in my rants other LS owners facing no crank with Pats light flashing find a solution. As mentioned elsewhere here in another post, the 125 amp flat relay on outside of trunk fuse box can be heard clicking with a seat down and if failing will cause a bunch of issues like no crank pats issues accompanied with things like no front turn signals and one headlight plus Forscan will find lots of false positive DTC's and put a good scare in ya lol.

( BUMP ) Just wanna bump this Thread for any newbies needing help with programming key fobs for GEN 1 LS's

Members online

No members online now.
Back