2002 lincoln ls cranks no start

Jman3637

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay so the other day my car was running great until i tried to start it and it just kept cranking but not starting i kept trying and it eventually started i went to work got off it started fine later that night the car wouldn't start againe so i went to bed and in the morning it started right up multiple times and then wouldn't start again. I diagnosed tje car i have fuel pressure fuel pump works. Put new spark plugs checked all fuses still no start. So i called my mechanic to tow it and the next day he told me he checked the fuses and the car started right up that i had a loose fuse probaly so i picked the car up it started up fine for 2 days and this morning again cant get it started at all. I pushed all the fuses checked them all none are burnt out fuel pump still working i don't have a engine light when the car starts it runs great and smooth what could it be

Probably something like a crank position sensor. In other cars, they cause the same start/no start scenario. If the engine has a camshaft position sensor (probably has 2 if DOHC) those can do the same thing. Chances are, fiddling with the fuse was coincidence.

If crank sensor is failing, it'll just crank. If you have a multi-meter, check it's ohms AND check if it's shorted internally. Keep in mind, IF the engine is starting, it might actually show an OK reading. Ideally, you want to check it for internal short and wrong ohm reading when it won't start. Just unhook the sensor (key off) and probe the connector for the sensor (not engine harness-side). Engine heat/cold start can affect readings, especially on a failing sensor, so ideally, check it with engine cold, then check it after engine has been running (values might drift slightly, but should be close with NO internal shorting. Then check it again during a crank/no start. If bad, it should be way off or shorted.

Also, check the condition of the crank position sensor's harness. I had a '92 SHO many years ago that did the same thing, but it also would run erratic at times then stall, miss, etc.. Someone before me, had reattached the cam belt cover and pinched the cps harness, which was rubbing on the crank pulley, and wore off the protective coating, causing an intermittent short.

Also, just for the sake of easy, next time it just cranks, loosen your gas cap (let it sit in the threads loose or remove it and try cranking; should hear a whoosh if air goes in), then try cranking again. I had an issue with a '96 Mark VIII where the cap failed and wouldn't allow air in the tank, which creates a vacuum and eventually interferes with the fuel pump. Car would run fine, park it, then 5 minutes later just crank. Loosen cap, it fired right up. It was repeatable. Replaced cap and it quit happening. Had the car another 35k miles roughly. But timing is key. It needs to be in a crank no start situation then immediately crank and start with it loose to confirm, unless you can somehow monitor gas tank vacuum.

My own camshaft position sensor is throwing codes, but the car starts/runs great. I think I read on here that there is only one and it is located on the drivers side by the firewall.

My own camshaft position sensor is throwing codes, but the car starts/runs great. I think I read on here that there is only one and it is located on the drivers side by the firewall.

If it's throwing codes and wiring/connector are OK, you should replace it ASAP. Over time, you might get more serious problems, frequently, then dead in the water, or other codes start appearing for other things (like random misfire P0300). Symptoms of a Bad Camshaft Position Sensor

IF random misfires are ignored for tool long, it can kill one or more of your cats in short time, where it'll break apart and possibly block up a pipe or end up in the muffler.

Do NOT ignore these types of failures. Just because it's "running" atm means nothing.

Thanks, I just recently found the codes and plan on sorting it out straight away. Luckily the car isn't on the road atm.

Both of my cats were destroyed many moons ago. So I put in a full exhaust. Sounds great but I'll never pass an inspection!

Yes, gen I has only one cam sensor. Gen II has two, one on each intake cam, at the back of the engine.

Any tips how i can at least get my car started replaced my cylinder head temp sensor cause the wire snapped.put all new spark plugs and coils im getting fuel pressure from the pump and Schrader valve im not 100% for sure if the fuel injectors are firing or not . i dont have a engine light scan with obd no codes
Havent noticed any symtoms of failing camshaft or crank. It just makes no sense that the mechanic said he was checking the fuses and that maybe 1 was loose and he got it started. Iv been checking all of them for pcm fuel injector any ideas i can't get it started at al.l i have the v6 2002 3.0 model by the way thank you

You need to plug a good scan tool in and look at the crankshaft and cam sensors (best as a graph, but a speed reading would work too) while cranking the engine. It may not be either of those, but I would like to know if the PCM is communicating when it won't start.

You need to plug a good scan tool in and look at the crankshaft and cam sensors (best as a graph, but a speed reading would work too) while cranking the engine. It may not be either of those, but I would like to know if the PCM is communicating when it won't start.
Well i dont really have the equipment right now ill be getting a multimeter soon.i know with the key turned if i remove pcm fuse and put pack in i can hear the pcm power on as if its communicating i dont know how to check for that

We'll had the mechanic tow my car and it was the cam sensor guess my obd wasnt good enough to find it he is going to charge me 150 wish i just bought it and changed it myself but finally goingnto be back on the rode tomorrow

Download the Forscan app for your phone ($5) or use the windows version (free), then get a cheapo bluetooth adapter for you car.

Forscan let me know about so many things wrong with my car I almost cried.

Download the Forscan app for your phone ($5) or use the windows version (free), then get a cheapo bluetooth adapter for you car.

Forscan let me know about so many things wrong with my car I almost cried.
This. It's an invaluable tool to have for your car.

Must be the hard drive in the FEM he's hearing?. I think they upgraded to SSD in the gen2.

Lol I'm guessing its the fuel pump priming.

So i called my mechanic to tow it and the next day he told me he checked the fuses and the car started right up that i had a loose fuse probaly so i picked the car up it started up fine for 2 days and this morning again cant get it started at all.

Try swapping the starter relay with another of the same amperage rating. If it continously starts after that, you know what to get from your LPS. If the mechanic said he checked the fuses, he might have replaced the fuse for the starter relay without telling you that directly. Blown fuse would would indicate a possible failing relay.

Members online

No members online now.
Back