How-To Repair : Hydraulic Fan Pump Actuator / Solenoid

Well it appears all they did was turn the AC on and realized it still sounds slowly. I say that because I left it off because I know that will make it overheat faster but it was on when I picked it up. I'm not leaking coolant. They also did a block test which was fine. If needed I can call and ask specifically how they tested the pump and fan

Welcome to the forum,
I would go and check resistance of the actuator first, you can do it just by unplugging the connector on top of it.
If it's in range of 20 ohms (not infinity or zero) then I would spray on the connector, it might be a bad connection. Had similar issue.
If the resistance is infinity or zero, you can suspect the actuator.

I thought that the actuator often failed due to the needle valve in it becoming stuck or clogged? In that case, the resistance would still read correctly, yet the actuator would still be bad.

It sounds like they only determined that the fan system is at fault, and did not really determine that the fan and pump were bad, just that something is wrong. Assuming that the fluid looks good (it should still be drained and replaced with new Mercon V), then I think that the actuator is a reasonable bet as the problem.

I thought that the actuator often failed due to the needle valve in it becoming stuck or clogged? In that case, the resistance would still read correctly, yet the actuator would still be bad.

It sounds like they only determined that the fan system is at fault, and did not really determine that the fan and pump were bad, just that something is wrong. Assuming that the fluid looks good (it should still be drained and replaced with new Mercon V), then I think that the actuator is a reasonable bet as the problem.

Thanks.the fluid looks fine but I got some more because I had a feeling regardless of what component was at fault, I'd end up needing to refill it. I'll be replacing the actuator as soon as it arrives and keeping my fingers crossed. I got a good deal on the car because it needed some work and so far have done it all myself. The overheating just recently started happening. The car itself I enjoy. Leather is in excellent shape and has a custom exhaust system as well as an indash dvd player and I've got some component speakers to install once I get it running right again.

Thanks.the fluid looks fine but I got some more because I had a feeling regardless of what component was at fault, I'd end up needing to refill it. I'll be replacing the actuator as soon as it arrives and keeping my fingers crossed. I got a good deal on the car because it needed some work and so far have done it all myself. The overheating just recently started happening. The car itself I enjoy. Leather is in excellent shape and has a custom exhaust system as well as an indash dvd player and I've got some component speakers to install once I get it running right again.

I just finished replacing my actuator yesterday. It took me about two months! Well that's cause I had my knees replaced during the job. i drove the car quite a bit today and saw no signs of overheating or boiling coolant or any of the issues I had been seeing. So got a new actuator and 2 new knees. We'll see which lasts longer. Good luck.

Hey Travis
Thanks for the write up, this was exactly what the problem was and now my 2002 LS (115K) stays cool. The only thing that happened to me was that the actuator actually came apart and half of it stayed in the pump and I had to use a file to gently tap it till it twisted out.

Can you please tell me more about using the file? After unscrewing the actuator from my daughters car about half of it stayed inside the pump . I see threads that screwed into the half I took off sticking out of the pump. Im not sure how to remove the rest>
Thanks
Dave

i used a long cold chisel on the threads that were sticking out of the pump to cautiously tap the piece out counter-clockwise. careful not to gouge the part of the pump it threads into.

i used a long cold chisel on the threads that were sticking out of the pump to cautiously tap the piece out counter-clockwise. careful not to gouge the part of the pump it threads into.[/QUOTE

Thanks for that . I bought a very long nosed vice grips that I’m going to try tomorrow . I will also use your idea too. What a pain . There is not enough room to do much ,as you already know but I’m now hopeful.
Thanks again for your interest .
Dave

I changed mine too couple of years ago, it stopped working after someone rearended me. It needed to be changed anyway, it was leaking oil.

Took 10min, comes out right from the top at least on the V6, put the wrench with expension and it slides out. Super easy, no hoses to disconnect.

Unfortunately, this one is a V8 and there is not much room to get anything on from the top that can be ratcheted or turned. From underneath the car,I was able to use a ratchet with an extension to the T40 bit and get the actuator to turn out but it came apart and left about half of itself in the pump. There simply isn't enough room to use a long nose that I can turn or ratchet from the top .
I am going to pick up a long file and try to tap it loose from the top as was suggested.

i used a long cold chisel on the threads that were sticking out of the pump to cautiously tap the piece out counter-clockwise. careful not to gouge the part of the pump it threads into.

92spi :
I want to make sure before I start tapping . Did you use the end of the file or did you use the sides of the file on the thread? Sorry if its a dumb question 92 spi but Im at a point of stupidity working in new car territory with my daughters car.
Thanks
Dave

Thanks to the help I got here I was able to get the actuator out .While I was at home depot buying a file to try, I saw a bolt extractor that looked promising . I needed to work from below the car but I was able to get the 1/2" extractor socket to start on removing the rest of the actuator by the threads. I have to admit I was a happy camper at this point. I'm hoping I will be even happier when I'm done with this project and achieve success !
I have added a couple of pics that may be helpful to someone else in the future. The first is of the actuator parts and the second includes the extractor.
IMG-0841.JPG
IMG-0832 (1).JPG

Thanks again for your help.
Dave

Members online

Back