Check Air Ride

EveryDayBird

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 Mark VIII, I've had the car for about 3 months now. When I bough the car, the previous owner had it converted to struts and springs. I have replaced all with new bags, solenoids, pump, dryer, and air lines. Reinstalled the pump computer and the height sensors. Turn the key and the pump comes on for about 10 seconds and turns off. The information panel tells to "Check Air Suspension." I have looked at the wiring from the pump to the computer under the dash, looked at the solenoid wires, and ride height sensors. Please help. This is my first car with air ride, this is my first Lincoln.

Are you filling it for the first time with the new air springs?
Find someone near you with this to make life much easier
20180620_211815.jpg

^ That or its simply that the car is slammed, so its reading the height at a total error. One generally has to set the vehicle higher, but below ride height, so the sensors are not at extremes.

This is the first time that I have tried with the new bags. How high should I have the car? What is the factory ride height? Do I need to have the trunk switch off? I might be able to get my hands on one of the SuperStar II.

Did some poking around and found that there is no power to the solenoids. The pump is making great pressure and signals to the height sensors are good. What could be the cause of no power to the solenoids?

Well if the system faults, there is no power to the solenoids of course. They only energize when air is suppose to enter or exit a bag. But if you mean that you are testing them when they should engage, then you may have a wiring issue. I suppose in theory, the previous owner could have snipped them in some weird attempt to "seal" the system of leaks before switching to struts. Switch in trunk would have been easier, if they did in fact do that.

I checked the wires to the solenoids and found no issues. I pulled the computer and cleaned the contacts, still nothing. I am looking into one of the SuperStar testers, just need to pick it up.

Still no tester, but I found someone that would let me test my computer in their car. The computer works, their solenoids clicked and pumped the bags. What else would cause the solenoids to not open?

A fault BEFORE the computer would even want to engage them. Have you swapped the relay around? The compressor uses the same relay as the ABS, if you need one. Everything else you said it new. So at this point, you need to work between the compressor and computer. The relay and wiring being about all there is.

I have a 97 Mark VIII, I've had the car for about 3 months now. When I bough the car, the previous owner had it converted to struts and springs. I have replaced all with new bags, solenoids, pump, dryer, and air lines. Reinstalled the pump computer and the height sensors. Turn the key and the pump comes on for about 10 seconds and turns off. The information panel tells to "Check Air Suspension." I have looked at the wiring from the pump to the computer under the dash, looked at the solenoid wires, and ride height sensors. Please help. This is my first car with air ride, this is my first Lincoln.
I have all new air ride parts . I have built an engine done shocks ect. How much time this would it take to install 2 air springs, 2 shocks, 2 new struts and 1 new compressor? I take it you did it , not a shop. As for the wiring, take it to a automotive electric shop , I did so for my marks trunk and gas door and door lock . There likely one in your town. That could solve your problem. I paid 80 for 1 hour . I wish you well in getting yours up and going. Try finding auto electric ,South Carolina has to have one in or around your big towns like Columbia, Charleston. If its now fixed problem is solved.

Last edited:
I worked on the car whenever I had free time. So added up, it took me about 5 days to reinstall all of the factory air suspension parts. I did fix mine, I fixed it today. After the prosses of elimination, I found that the "new" solid state relay was no good, so I messed around and found a Ford OEM replacement. I'm ridin on air:cool::cool:

Congratulations being back on air.
And thanks for posting the fix it will help people in the future doing an air suspension fix/problem search.

I worked on the car whenever I had free time. So added up, it took me about 5 days to reinstall all of the factory air suspension parts. I did fix mine, I fixed it today. After the prosses of elimination, I found that the "new" solid state relay was no good, so I messed around and found a Ford OEM replacement. I'm ridin on air:cool::cool:[/Early bird, Hi, see you found the "ticket"(relay) to ride. I have been reading your posts off and on and thanks for the last reply. Will you help me? I have new air parts from Arnott still in the box . Planned on installing them when I could get the mark to rise up off the graven. All 4 wheels are down with the frame resting on my gravel driveway. Last year I tried to back it out with the compressor not running. Can't get the car to pump enough to drive to a garage or work at my home garage. Planned on "rebirth" of the air ride" 100% new parts. Is there a way to wire direct to the compressor ? Should that not come on then its the compressor and installing the new one can make it come up(if its the compressor. Just putting it in I am not liking because it will be considered used and likely be called a used part . Makes Arnott likely to turn down the return. Knowing if its the compressor the first time eleminates the used compressor situation with Arnott. Again , is there a way to direct connect the compressor and not damage the computer/wiring to car? . Arnott has a 90 day return on unused parts Nice company as they guarantee their air parts for life if they fail and due to a defect. Very professional friendly people and no phone tree as live calls are done with real people. > Arnott tech said she did not know of a way to try bypassing the computer activation and wire direct . I don't really want to convert to springs . Might be my only choice and do them in my garage after somehow jacking up car. Thanks , looking for your ideas. Bill out of Ohio

Is the Digital display saying to check Air Ride? Check out this video, it helped me.

If not then there should be a two wire plug going to the compressor. Check for continuity with an OHM meter to see if there is anything burnt in the motor, make two jumper wires to carry 12v from the battery to the plug going to the motor of the compressor. If the compressor runs and the solid state relay is good, then the bags should inflate. Make sure that the key is on so that the air ride computer is on and talking to the relay and solenoids.

Thanks, your video is going to be helpfull.Appreciate the timely reply as you took time out to write back. Yes, the message board says, "check air ride"I called Arnott Monday. Nice business people. On the up and up.90 day returns , life time guarnte to orginal buyer of parts. Non transferable. Factory makes the air parts parts in Fla, USA made. . Arnott tech said she knew of no way to jump them. I feel there is a way. After I see your video, I am going out to a long time in business unique wiring, and show him picture of my mark, I have spend money there and was impressed . He had a battery out of a neussan and was replacing with a new but lower cost . Very experienced auto electric shop powner. I am putting the batter back in mark today . Lets see what it does. Not expecting it to "fix itself" Is the video run like a moved or is it one photo?, Thanks again

Is the Digital display saying to check Air Ride? Check out this video, it helped me.

If not then there should be a two wire plug going to the compressor. Check for continuity with an OHM meter to see if there is anything burnt in the motor, make two jumper wires to carry 12v from the battery to the plug going to the motor of the compressor. If the compressor runs and the solid state relay is good, then the bags should inflate. Make sure that the key is on so that the air ride computer is on and talking to the relay and solenoids.
Thanks , very helpful workable answer

This is the first time that I have tried with the new bags. How high should I have the car? What is the factory ride height? Do I need to have the trunk switch off? I might be able to get my hands on one of the SuperStar II.
I found super star 2 at 200-300 easily found but too much money . There ocasionly one at 100-150, I saw an add from 2007 at 50.00 for ss 2.still in case. They are hard to get at the moment you need it.

Last edited:

A friend of mine thought of an idea to try a truck inner tube with plywood covering the top and bottom of the tube un inflated slip it under the mark, inflate and see if it raises car. I am game for the idea with him being the guy trying under his car first. I located air bag that can lift 8000 lbs at 139.99, I am not giving up trying to activate the car's own air ride before buying into air bag. Its better because once they are inflated I could drive the car into my 2 car garage. Much better place to install new air ride parts. I think I'll stay with rebuilding completely my air ride as doing it myself makes cost lower. I'll buy again from arnott and front struts from auto zone. Solid returns policies for both companies.Life time . To do the jumper checks, I must get the front bumper removed . That would be hard unless I air bag lift mark. Air bag sounds good.

If you are going to be getting the Westar Front Air Struts from Autozone, beware. I had to replace the front left three times, due to the studs snapping off. I torqued them to 35Lbs, anything over and they snapped off.

If you are going to be getting the Westar Front Air Struts from Autozone, beware. I had to replace the front left three times, due to the studs snapping off. I torqued them to 35Lbs, anything over and they snapped off.
Buying from auto zone puts me directly into the life time guarantee with adjustments and no quibble. I am buying them from a nationwide company directly avoiding the pitfalls of a 3rd party purchase such as "you must contact weststar before we(dealer will proceed)

I got my front air struts from AutoZone, brand name Westar. I am trying to save you the troubles I went through with incorrect information. And i understand that AutoZone has a life time guarante, I don't want you to have the same issues I did with the torque specs being wrong. Putting the struts in is a headache not mentioning having to take it multiple times.

I got my front air struts from AutoZone, brand name Westar. I am trying to save you the troubles I went through with incorrect information. And i understand that AutoZone has a life time guarante, I don't want you to have the same issues I did with the torque specs being wrong. Putting the struts in is a headache not mentioning having to take it multiple times.
O.K Now I understand . I gathered buying thru autozone weststar struts were defective causing you inconvience especially as they are dufficult to install. You were giving me a warning when it comes to torquing these daddys.I figured buying from them is a better choice than 2 or 3 other suppliers especially Suncore 's short warranty policy. We have not tried the air bag idea. I am going to visit to Unique Wiring for some instructions and offer him $ to come over my place and do his tech magic. My 2nd choice is buy the 8000 lb air bag to lift up front end. Use floor jack for gaining room to slip in permanet jack stands. Remove from bumper cover to axces the compressor. Install new compressor. Hope and pray this cures Mark's lack of "wind"

Members online

Back