What the heck??? ETC engine fail safe mode

skpv5

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My wife was out in her 2003 Lincoln LS V8 yesterday. She called because when she got out of the store and started her car every warning light it seemed came on. Service parking brake, service accutrak, check transmission, ETC engine fail safe.
She drove across the street and got the codes read at Advanced auto parts. The codes the kid got included b1342 anti-lock brake module malfunction,P2106 throttle actuator control system forced limited power,U1039 scp (j1850) invalid/missing data for veh speed,p0133 oxygen sensor circuit slow response bank 1 sensor.
She limped home. The car was running fine and now everything is broken????
After looking around the net it might be that I need to put in new coils.
Any other thoughts or suggestions?

based off of reading this site for a decade and owning two different LSs, I'd place a hefty bet that the problem(or at least part of the problem ) is a coil or three are starting to fail.

anytime you have problems like any of these, you should almost always start by replacing all of the coils AND plugs. I'd personally use OEM parts as its common for cheap brands to either only wirk for a short time or may not even work at all.

I would add to that to check the battery voltage. It should be about 14V with the engine running. Higher than 15 or lower than 13.6 would indicate a problem with your alternator. Most of your symptoms are not inconsistent with that either. It could be coils, it could be alternator, it could be both.

LOL gotta love the LS.

Engine shakes? Thats the coils
Fail safe? Thats the coils
Throttle body codes? Thats the coils
Misfire? Oh you better believe thats the coils.
XD

And when it actually isn't the coils, its the PCM ... fried by the bad coils... LMAO

So i replaced all 8 coils and spark plugs. I disconnected the battery to reset the computer.
THE CAR STILL GOES INTO ENGINE FAIL SAFE MODE after driving for 5 minutes!!!!!!!!

Where do I go now?

What is your battery voltage (engine running)?
What codes are now coming up?
Is this the failsafe mode that lets you still get decent power out of the engine? Is the ABS code still there? Some ABS module problems will cause an ETC failsafe mode to trigger.

With our LS, failsafe (other then overheat) has always been the battery capacity getting low causing a deeper then normal voltage drop at start. I typically exchange the battery and put the old one in a piece of farm equipment where is lasts another 2 years. So it would be worth getting the CCA checked from my history. The alternator has always been fine.

The failsafe mode is the kind that wont let you drive. Everything seems to stop working.

Meanwhile, so what is your battery voltage (engine running)?

hey guys, I have the same problem here, not the same codes + forced shutdown.
ETC Engine Failsafe Mode acting up since 3 months now. the first month it would go every hour or so, i bought the wiring diagram book, an OBD2 Ford ELM327 with BT and Forscan lite. I had P0606, P1633, P1235, P2105 and P2107.
The next month it would go on every 15 minutes or so, brought it at Ford, they said they fixed my problem, no more P1633, drove it an hour an looked ok. the next day while warming it up (winter time), failsafe came back on.
Only have these codes now: P0606, P1235, P2105 and P2107. Had to buy an F150 to go to work and tow my car back home. Now that it's hot outside I'm trying to figure out why it's forcing it to shutdown, even on cold start (last month it was only when the engine temp was normal working temp. Sometime I get it to run 30 seconds, sometimes it stop right away. I really need to fix my car, I've put so many hours and money on this car, summer it here, Can't have this car not working for another summer !

It seems like your PCM may be fried. What brand ignition coils do you have? How old are they? Were the spark plugs replaced at the same time? Did you verify that the gaps were all 1.0mm?
I bought those cheap eBay coils, before knowing they would only last a year. I also changed the sparkplugs and did check the gap. I never thought it would fry my pcm in a month. I was hoping for a broken wire, like many of them I fixed in this car. yet I guess I will buy new coils and get that pcm fixed.
I really love this car but man I put more time fixing it then driving it lol

BTW, P1235 is a fuel pump related code. (Could still be the PCM) P0606 points to the PCM.

BTW, P1235 is a fuel pump related code. (Could still be the PCM) P0606 points to the PCM.

So just to make sure, the P0606 code can't be fixed if I change the coils for motorcraft ? Or is it the oposite, if I get my PCM fixed it will make other stuff work like P1235 and P2105 (assuming that I changed the coils for Motorcraft type, before I get the PCM fixed) ?

If it's the PCM, then it should resolve those other codes.
P0606 does indicate an internal PCM fault.
Changing the coils now won't fix the P0606 code, but it might fix the other codes.
Fixing the PCM and not changing the coils will probably result in the PCM failing again soon.

I bought those cheap eBay coils, before knowing they would only last a year. I also changed the sparkplugs and did check the gap. I never thought it would fry my pcm in a month.l

I only used the "$80 /8 piece" pack of coils from ebay, and managed 2.5 years out of them. On both 05/02 LS. Never had an issue.
Tho, fwiw, the LS isn't the kind of car you wait to have an issue with. Its the kind of car you replace it before its an issue.
Replace those coils every 6 moths. Do it yourself, its easy. $160/yr on coils is a joke. I pushed mine, but because I was being Lazy AF. But If I got another LS, i'd either stock up on ebay coils and replace every 6 months, or buy the $30 coils from local parts store and replace once a year.

To those that preach "Motocraft", remember, it was your Motocraft that failed in the first place, and why you're fixing your LS. :rolleyes:

Replace coils before they fail.

I only used the "$80 /8 piece" pack of coils from ebay, and managed 2.5 years out of them. On both 05/02 LS. Never had an issue.
Tho, fwiw, the LS isn't the kind of car you wait to have an issue with. Its the kind of car you replace it before its an issue.
Replace those coils every 6 moths. Do it yourself, its easy. $160/yr on coils is a joke. I pushed mine, but because I was being Lazy AF. But If I got another LS, i'd either stock up on ebay coils and replace every 6 months, or buy the $30 coils from local parts store and replace once a year.

To those that preach "Motocraft", remember, it was your Motocraft that failed in the first place, and why you're fixing your LS. :rolleyes:

That's what I thought doing too. I already have 2 sets of coils, and after I did the big tune up on my engine, it sure runs sweet, no miss fire and all sensors worked fine. But the fact it just kept on getting worse every day. I'll see what my wallet tells me what I can buy and fix for the next month so I can get it on the road next month.

...To those that preach "Motocraft", remember, it was your Motocraft that failed in the first place, and why you're fixing your LS. :rolleyes:

I would like to point out that I have over 100K miles on the last sets of Motorcraft coils on both of my LSes, and not signs of problems. I think that they did finally get them right.

I would like to point out that I have over 100K miles on the last sets of Motorcraft coils on both of my LSes, and not signs of problems. I think that they did finally get them right.
For how cheap you can get them on Amazon, it's almost worth going cheap and changing them every 15k miles...

For how cheap you can get them on Amazon, it's almost worth going cheap and changing them every 15k miles...

Gets real expensive if one blows your PCM (happens) or if there are enough misfires over time to gunk up the cats.

How much does it cost in the US to get your PCM fixed ? Where I live everything is freaking expensive. I just want to guess how much will it cost to get mine fixed asap.

When the Motorcraft type fails, would they burn the PCM too ? or do they have a type of failsafe system ?

When the Motorcraft type fails, would they burn the PCM too ? or do they have a type of failsafe system ?

They could, if they fail badly enough and are left long enough. The point is to get the coils that are least likely to fail. (Yes, I know they had a problem with the epoxy to begin with, but they do seem to have solved that now.)

Members online

No members online now.
Back