PCM compatibility

heyjewel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've got a V6 Getrag manual. My PCM has a few little issues. Not driveability issues just like auto headlamps don't work and a couple more.
I know I can get the whole thing fixed for $169. But I just located a V6 manual being parted out and thinking I can grab the PCM from it as a spare/backup/perhaps 100% working unit.
So the question here is - am I correct in thinking that a PCM from a V6 manual will be plug n play into my car? Whereas one from a V6 Automatic would require reprogramming?

Thanks

Any PCM other than your own will have to be "married" to your PATS and keys. Until that happens, you won't even be able to start the engine.

The PCM has nothing at all to do with the auto headlights (autolamp). What are the other issues you are trying to solve? The LS has several "computer" modules. The PCM pretty much only runs the engine (and transmission in the case of an automatic).

Autolamp uses and light amplifier that is read by the instrument cluster (which also reads the headlight switch). The instrument cluster then commands the FEM to turn the headlights on or off. (The FEM drives the headlights.) Most autolamp problems are the light amplifier. This is the module at the front center of the dash that has the blinking red light in it.

Any PCM other than your own will have to be "married" to your PATS and keys. Until that happens, you won't even be able to start the engine.

The PCM has nothing at all to do with the auto headlights (autolamp). What are the other issues you are trying to solve? The LS has several "computer" modules. The PCM pretty much only runs the engine (and transmission in the case of an automatic).

Autolamp uses and light amplifier that is read by the instrument cluster (which also reads the headlight switch). The instrument cluster then commands the FEM to turn the headlights on or off. (The FEM drives the headlights.) Most autolamp problems are the light amplifier. This is the module at the front center of the dash that has the blinking red light in it.

Yes I realize now I was thinking about the FEM for the autolamp. Thanks for reminder. Another thing that's begun behaving badly is the driver's seat and side mirror memory settings. But that's probably the DDM?

Would I be able to get this PCM married to my PATS and keys?
I think the DDM is inside the drivers door? Where is the FEM? Thew there's the REM. I wonder of it would be worth it to grab all 4 of these for possible future needs?

Last edited:
Yes I realize I was thinking about the FEM for the autolamp. Thanks for reminder. Another thing that's begun behaving badly is the driver's seat and side mirror memory settings. But that's probably the DDM?

Would I be able to get this PCM married to my PATS and keys?
I think the DDM is inside the drivers door? Where is the FEM? Thew there's the REM. I wonder of it would be worth it to grab all 4 of these for possible future needs?
OK did a little research.
There's a DSM driver's seat module under the driver seat which controls the easy out etc features. DDM controls only windows and locks.
FEM is behind left front kick panel. REM in trunk.

FEM controls the memory mirrors. However, the two common mirror problems are the potentiometers in the mirrors that indicate mirror position get dirty and noisy (electrically speaking), and the mirror switch on the driver's door starts failing due to its contacts oxidizing. A similar thing happens to the seat position potentiometers. It's rarely the electronic modules themselves.

FEM controls the memory mirrors. However, the two common mirror problems are the potentiometers in the mirrors that indicate mirror position get dirty and noisy (electrically speaking), and the mirror switch on the driver's door starts failing due to its contacts oxidizing. A similar thing happens to the seat position potentiometers. It's rarely the electronic modules themselves.
OK thanks. I can see that the mirror pots might be dirty. Under seat too probably. Guess I will not waste time/$$ wit those modules.
Still wondering however is there a way to get a new PCM married to my keys and PATs?

...Still wondering however is there a way to get a new PCM married to my keys and PATs?

Sure there is.
The dealer tools can do it.
My AutoEnginuity can do it. Some other high end scan tools can too.
Some locksmiths can do it.
I think the Forscan can do it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back